Gloomreap

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Ion
Communist

Gloomreap

#1 Post by Ion »

Trying to come up with some constructive criticism.

- Many pubs find the map confusing, despite being able to ping bases.
- Many pubs do not understand how tower cores are gained on this map in comparison to Stormwail.
- Many pubs and some more experienced players dislike Gloom because of the general confusion surrounding its towers.

These are generalizations I've encountered. Gloom is an interesting map, with creative spawn paths and cool Murloc towers. Unfortunately it is also (apart from Candle) the least popular map in the game.

I am not entirely sure of what to suggest but I thought may as well bring it up. So post your thoughts if you wish.

Somethings that come to mind are:

- Perhaps the spawn map is too confusing, and its better to go to a more traditional set-up. The map befuddles many people and despite best intentions and prospective text explanations it still probably won't be fully grasped.
- Flying heroes have an incredible advantage on this map because of the short distance, but large amount of pools and unwalkable areas. They essentially don't need teleports. Not sure how to fix this.
Ion.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Re: Gloomreap

#2 Post by Perhaps »

I just figured out how they flowed because of the path feature town halls have. >_>

What may be needed since every map having a "different objective" being shoved down people's throats, there may as well be a brief intro to each specific map.

Ion
Communist

#3 Post by Ion »

Having a brief intro to every map is... : |

It's bad enough how long the game is, sitting through a tutorial of Gloomreap every time people choose it would be painful. People would probably just leave too.
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Leek
Resident
Resident
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Leek

#5 Post by Leek »

While the confusing lanes are lame, its not the end of the world.

The main thing for me is the CRISSCROSSING lanes, so spawns go all over the fucking place, where they shouldn't be going.

Flying heroes are imba on this map because the water thing.

Top and Bottom aren't balanced. The west team always wins bottom and the east team always wins top.

The store placement favours the top-east team geavily (Acient store).

Overall, I find the lane business more frustrating then *cool*. It causes more problems then its worth.

However Gloomreap has some really really good parts, they just don't compare to all the massive negatives :P

Murloc spawn towers are good, so are the original items (even if they're rarely used, thats why I said to Yak that they should be in Stormwail).

Also, the game is fun in a smaller map, more hero fighting, more running between lanes (actual running, not the TP to expo business), it makes team play a lot more fun and PK'ing more enjoyable. Good placement of fountains aids this bringing fountain skirmishes that aren't in the middle of nowhere.

Gloomite is a nice fresh change, cooler then obelisks too, though it is a lot more "hands off".

I think Yak has (or could) learn a lot about map design from Gloom, and keep the good stuff while changing or eliminating the bad/frustrating parts.

Felpine Grove or w/e sounds like it would have some of the good aspects of Gloom (small map, interconnectedness, not-Obelisks, original junk). Even something new would be nice. Yak experimented with something (which is good) and it didn't work out that well (that happens).

Not every map can be as fun as Kedge (which, if it didn't crash me every single fucking game, would be really fun).

Ion
Communist

#6 Post by Ion »

Yes, I know the lanes and there is a good chance people on this form are similarly familiar with them. But most other people are not. And during the game, sometimes even the spawns seem to get confused.

I wish more people would post ideas : (
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by DarnYak »

I'm more refering to the fact that the wiki states it's the "Best map in eota!", and thus I don't see why it needs changes.

DarnYak

Furion
Resident
Resident

#8 Post by Furion »

i found flying heros to be at a disadvantage compared to stormwail, because of the missing cliffs and anything else the would hinder line of sight

on top of that i found gloom to be quiete addictive after the time of confusion about the lanes was gone

the bridege may be bit imba, maybe putting it more away from the blue base wowuld help
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by CryptLord1234 »

DarnYak wrote:I'm more refering to the fact that the wiki states it's the "Best map in eota!", and thus I don't see why it needs changes.

DarnYak

The wiki now sports a bunch of anti-Semitic bullshit. I see no "Best map in EotA!"
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#10 Post by Dekar »

Gloomreap Mire wiki entry history:

Original: Best map in eota!
(diff) (hist) . . Gloomreap Mire‎; 09:48 . . (+4,525) . . 79.175.84.135 (Talk) (corrected) *Antisemitism stuff*
(diff) (hist) . . Gloomreap Mire‎; 16:22 . . (-4,525) . . 24.215.137.96 (Talk) (Undo revision 2132 by 79.175.84.135 (Talk)) Best map in eota!
(diff) (hist) . . Gloomreap Mire‎; 16:48 . . (+7,128) . . 79.175.84.135 (Talk) (improved) *Whatver, I dont even want to know what it is about*
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#11 Post by Discombobulator »

The current version is actually very fitting, in a postmodern way.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Zcuron
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: Zcuron

#12 Post by Zcuron »

This spawn route thing being confusing could be solved by giving the spawn buildings(castles) a spell that shows the path the creeps will take from said spawn building.

I never found it confusing, looked pretty straight forward to me when I first saw it.

As for flying heroes, I've never had any problem with them, but if you think they gain some sort of edge then maybe you could add a 20% slow over water or something?

Those hydras are _really_ strong!
~Errare humanum est~

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#13 Post by DarkNemesis »

I love Gloom for so many reasons: cool items, spawn towers, look n' feel of map, green crystals n' pools of muck :P :) :D But it does have some strange path issues as well as the Gloom mining.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Furion
Resident
Resident

#14 Post by Furion »

Zcuron wrote:This spawn route thing being confusing could be solved by giving the spawn buildings(castles) a spell that shows the path the creeps will take from said spawn building.

good point ! :lol:
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

Waki_Miko
Visitor
Visitor

#15 Post by Waki_Miko »

Zcuron wrote:This spawn route thing being confusing could be solved by giving the spawn buildings(castles) a spell that shows the path the creeps will take from said spawn building.
It's thanks to this already existing feature that I understood the paths fairly quickly.

Ion
Communist

#16 Post by Ion »

Many pubs find the map confusing, despite being able to ping bases.
I already said the option was there and occasionally a new person will find it, but generally most people are disinclined to look.
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by DarnYak »

I was just thinking, my original plan for Stormwail was actualy to be a large map (ok, i got that) with lots of small paths that spawns may take, rather than main roads. I've even been thinking about how to do it better for whatever map i make for SC2.

And then I just remembered how confusing Gloom spawns are. Time to scrap that idea.

DarnYak

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#18 Post by Discombobulator »

DarnYak wrote:I was just thinking, my original plan for Stormwail was actualy to be a large map (ok, i got that) with lots of small paths that spawns may take, rather than main roads. I've even been thinking about how to do it better for whatever map i make for SC2.

And then I just remembered how confusing Gloom spawns are. Time to scrap that idea.

DarnYak
By the way, I remember that sometime around 1.05 or .06 the secondary bases for the Inn and Rock lanes were moved to the corners, any particular reason that was done?
I'm this forum's MVP.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#19 Post by Dekar »

To make room for HIDDEN FUN STUFF.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#20 Post by Discombobulator »

Dekar wrote:To make room for HIDDEN FUN STUFF.
Well that's just stating the obvious, I was talking about the secret objectives.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#21 Post by Tehw00tz »

Why what do you mean by HIDDEN FUN STUFF
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#22 Post by DarnYak »

Discombobulator wrote:By the way, I remember that sometime around 1.05 or .06 the secondary bases for the Inn and Rock lanes were moved to the corners, any particular reason that was done?
Because the spawns would often walk right past the front base while it was being sieged, making it one of the easiest outposts to take down. I believe there was something else too, like corner was too valuable but too easy to take, so I wanted..not a second "main base", but something larger than a standard outpost too.

DarnYak

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Setokaiva

#23 Post by Setokaiva »

well when you think about it flying heroes can have a particular advantage on Stormwail too; there's enough mountains and stuff around. Flyers have to come onto land eventually to attack you at all, but my suggestion is not to change anything; water is pathable by air, but not by land; in contrast, mountains can be pathable by land, and by air. This raises an interesting point. If for example the Icespinner were to throw his web on a flying hero over water, the hero would not be able to land in water and would automatically be displaced onto dry ground where he could be attacked. Same goes for Trapping Nets from a Goblin shop, and even the Fel Horde Wardrummers (Ensnare).
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

Leek
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Leek

#24 Post by Leek »

Flying give's a movement advantage everywhere, your right. It's pretty obvious. The problem with Gloom is that the entire map is so small (its basically pointless to buy a teleport on that map) that its the advantage is exaggerrated, that and seemingly random ass placement of water.