Scaling

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Ion
Communist

Scaling

#1 Post by Ion »

A huge problem in EotA is the scaling.

By scaling I mean terrain height. Every single version I've been through I've always had the same problem, and others too. You're chasing a hero, and he just gets away: why? You had him in the trap, one more shot would've done it. You know why? Because you held attack on him, and the moment he went out of sight, your hero pauses. You have to reclick, and by the then the guys out of the running.

I can get replays easily of this happening, as at least once a game on Stormwail this is a problem. I find it to be a very annoying problem, simply because it is no fault of the player. When you attack-move something, you expect your person to follow it. Being just a few yards a way, going up a large hill at night can be a bitch to fight through, simply because you'll go through spastic stops every few seconds.

I'd purpose either:

A) Increasing the sight range of heroes (to a much higher level, just so you don't run into this problem every chase).

B) Really softening out the terrain.

To be honest, B would be a bitch to complete, so I'd say A would just be the rational solution. But that's just me, what's your thoughts? Problem? Just me bitching?

Opinions please. :D
Ion.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#2 Post by Dekar »

If you know it will happen, just move until you are past the point and then finish the hero off. :roll:
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#3 Post by Hammel »

Good point Aed, just that some heroes are a bitch to target because they are small and fast... and Attack-move (even accidentally) doesnt always help when there is other units around.

To me it happens I often misclick when I try to get 3 spells on in 2 secs at most... I just screw up my fingers... still you can leave it the way it is because I can live with people getting away. At least they are scared and play more defensively, giving you an advantage over them.

-Ham

AedharinSadai
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by AedharinSadai »

Hammel wrote:Good point Aed....
heh? >_>

@t: more sight range wouldnt solve the problem with the hills afaik

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#5 Post by Dekar »

Hammel needs more sightrange :shock:

And if you dont use -zoom 3000, then you will be able to click on heroes too. :roll:
( Some may have noticed, that in the last months i went down from 3000 to 2500, now you know the reason. )
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by Hammel »

HAHA Dek ~~. I usually play at 1750 (normal) and screw it so 3000 won't make it any better... maybe I should try the 3rd person view Oo.

-Ham

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by mianmian »

IMO, leave it the way it is, if you cant compensate, well GG :p

thats what I think, anything else woudl erquire something drastic, sight range wont work, since its a hill, and fixing all the terrain... common, Yak just did UD for us, lets be nice

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#8 Post by Hammel »

Well, you don't see some cliffs coming, like running down Red's lane from middle/rock to the main base. At one point there is a ramp, but you don't see it till you stop.

-Ham

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#9 Post by Shadow.M4L »

For the "bitchy" to target heros: why dont increase the "selection circle area"?
Increase this number and youre able to select a hero with less trouble.

For the sight range... well i dont have a idea but i think this problem is seen in many other aos, maybe you can add a "target marker" spell based on feary fire.

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#10 Post by Hammel »

I guess that would suck because now you can escape easily and making it only work when you run up a cliff is... bitchy or heavily bugged (I suppose). Only way might be disabling the LoS-blocking of ramps, but that is hardly possible I think.

And the selection CIRCLE isn't what you need to hit, it is some part of the model... dunno what it is called though, but I bet Yak knows what to change.

-Ham

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by CryptLord1234 »

You just need to right click on the model...I THINK the only way to increase likelihood of that (by modifying the unit) is to increase the scaling value, but...Think about it...Aeromanceress scaled x3 a Sorceress' normal size? Not to mention the... 'interesting' people that'd bring in, but the larger you scale a model, the more obvious the pixels are in the skin.

I don't want to shoot any ideas down here, but eh...A wouldn't be too likely, I don't think, but it depends on the amount of units you plan on extending the vision range by. Terrain, I'm pretty sure, affects the vision range of a unit, so would extending it really do anything?

Probably the easiest way to compensate for this has already been mentioned: Be ready for it to happen. Either 'Move' off in the direction the hero's running in, or case an AoE spell ahead of it or something.

Just my $.02 on the subject...
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by DarnYak »

Hammel wrote:And the selection CIRCLE isn't what you need to hit, it is some part of the model... dunno what it is called though, but I bet Yak knows what to change.
I was about to comment on that the first time I read this, but then I started remembring maps where I would constantly select a unit that I didnt want to select, and usualy it had an absurdly large selection circle. Thus, I haven't tested it yet, but there exists a chance it would work. I intend to reply again when I know for sure.

DarnYak

Konnar
Regular
Regular

#13 Post by Konnar »

If your enemy gets away from you you deserve it. Ordering move in enemy direction before he gets out of sight = mad skillz.

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#14 Post by Hammel »

Konnar, we know that you can send your hero along with the enemy, but sometimes you just don't expect there to be a ramp and lose sight... and then it isnt necessarily your fault. Yak is going into it and that should be enough.

-Ham

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#15 Post by Demongod86 »

Don't be a doofus then. If you see a fog area, right click through it!

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#16 Post by Tehw00tz »

This topic is a YEAR OLD. LOOK AT THE LAST POST DATE. sheesh
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP