Acer to join the console market?

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

Acer to join the console market?

#1 Post by Kibiyama »

A challenger appears.
Right now, the Acer brand name is still equated with PC notebooks only, despite Acer's acquisition of Gateway. But in an interview with BetaNews at its press event on Wednesday, Acer's senior vice president, James T. Wong, said that his company has a game machine in mind, and that it will be based on "open standards."
I'd rather see Sega make a re-entrance into the console race, but any competition is good, I guess.
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.
Tehw00tz wrote:I miss my headset. This headset only covers two of my ears.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Re: Acer to join the console market?

#2 Post by Perhaps »

I was hoping a console would die, most specifically Sony, not another get added. Unless they give a new innovating flavor like the X-Box did, I fear that'll just water down the console industry even further.

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#3 Post by Kibiyama »

From a software perspective, you're right. Making a concept as generic as possible so that it translates to every current-gen system (including handhelds) is a popular strategy, particularly with EA.

Unfortunately, it often results in bland gameplay, massive team sizes, tons of bugs, shorter games, and, more often than not, clunky controls. I'm no EA exec, but I'd wager they also see diminishing returns for every additional platform they target. Maybe some day they'll see the errors of their ways and start making fun, original games that work well for the console they're designed for, but I won't hold my breath.

From a hardware perspective though, competition can only be a good thing. If it wasn't for competition, we'd still be in 8-bit land. There'd be no online multiplayer, downloadable content, voice chat, analog input, or hyper-realistic displacement-mapped phong-shaded high-poly models with mip-mapped textures run through an anisotropic filter with 16x anti-aliasing, ray-traced shadows, and a lens flare for good measure.

Homebrew used to be sort of a fringe thing, then Microsoft came out with XNA and the indie guys came out of the woodwork. Then Nintendo and Sony jumped on it, too, and we've got WiiWare and whatever Sony calls theirs... R4ge or something gay like that. If Acer is as focused on open development as they say they are, it can only get better.

The future is indie games. (and casual games, but I'm making a point here) Making Guns N Sword 37 with better graphics than Guns N Swords 36 only works for so long; what makes an outstanding game is having the balls to try something nobody's ever tried before. The more hardware power the console deities can put at the disposal of us mere mortals, the better.
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

#4 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Perhaps wrote:    I was hoping a console would die, most specifically Sony
True that

Anyway, this is basically just an xbox 360 with less chance of a hardware failure?
Last edited by AnAngryBearDoctor on March 18th, 2008, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Backwards E's are badass

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#5 Post by Soulbourne »

Kibiyama wrote: There'd be no online multiplayer, downloadable content, voice chat, analog input, or hyper-realistic displacement-mapped phong-shaded high-poly models with mip-mapped textures run through an anisotropic filter with 16x anti-aliasing, ray-traced shadows, and a lens flare for good measure.
Never seen so many technologic words stringed together in just one sentence. Need to A) Learn the meaning of each mentioned piece of tech, B) Find out some way to use the knowledge when I'm bored.
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

Nemesis_of_3vil
Wanderer
Wanderer

#6 Post by Nemesis_of_3vil »

Kibiyama wrote:From a software perspective, you're right. Making a concept as generic as possible so that it translates to every current-gen system (including handhelds) is a popular strategy, particularly with EA.

Unfortunately, it often results in bland gameplay, massive team sizes, tons of bugs, shorter games, and, more often than not, clunky controls. I'm no EA exec, but I'd wager they also see diminishing returns for every additional platform they target. Maybe some day they'll see the errors of their ways and start making fun, original games that work well for the console they're designed for, but I won't hold my breath.

From a hardware perspective though, competition can only be a good thing. If it wasn't for competition, we'd still be in 8-bit land. There'd be no online multiplayer, downloadable content, voice chat, analog input, or hyper-realistic displacement-mapped phong-shaded high-poly models with mip-mapped textures run through an anisotropic filter with 16x anti-aliasing, ray-traced shadows, and a lens flare for good measure.

Homebrew used to be sort of a fringe thing, then Microsoft came out with XNA and the indie guys came out of the woodwork. Then Nintendo and Sony jumped on it, too, and we've got WiiWare and whatever Sony calls theirs... R4ge or something gay like that. If Acer is as focused on open development as they say they are, it can only get better.

The future is indie games. (and casual games, but I'm making a point here) Making Guns N Sword 37 with better graphics than Guns N Swords 36 only works for so long; what makes an outstanding game is having the balls to try something nobody's ever tried before. The more hardware power the console deities can put at the disposal of us mere mortals, the better.
At any rate lets hope the new consules aren't as complicated as this.

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by Kibiyama »

By the way, the Sony XNA-equivalent is actually called the Phyre engine. Yep.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#8 Post by Perhaps »

It seems more like consoles now are going for a specific crowd approach rather than competitive. It seems having more consoles only fuels that kind of play on the market. Wii targets a non-gamer audience, X-Box Targets the gaming audience, and PS3 targets the audience that's willing to buy a recycled hit exclusive PS franchises over and over (Final Fantasy for example).

Something that I don't like about X-Box's apperance to the console market, is the fact they pushed useless non-gaming features as a standard upon the market. Don't know what I mean? I mean browsing the internet, webcamming, downloading videos, etc. What's bad about that? Plain and simple it's a waste of resources, and it sways away from the purpose of a Gaming Console, what a concept... Gaming.

The combined effort of X-Box and PS to that forces upgradable and interchangable hardware as a standard to the console market. What's bad about this? It's the same problem that Computers have for gaming, not everyone has the same machine, so not everyone goes through the same problem. Meaning that A machine has a confliction with a game while B Machine doesn't, it gets patched, A Machine has no conlfiction anymore, but now B machine does. Save flexibility for computers... Gaming consoles are for gaming.

CJmango
Wanderer
Wanderer

#9 Post by CJmango »

Perhaps wrote: I was hoping a console would die, most specifically Sony, not another get added.
x3

Plug a controller into your computer if you like that sort of thing.

Although the Wii does have its own unique niche, although it could also be ported to any regular computer.
Clearly it's not arrogance, for arrogance would be a flaw.
Xfire: kalankadesh

[Hasek FTW]