The Forlorn Martyr: an incomplete guildline

Raise concerns about balance.

Moderator: Mills

Seig_2
Regular
Regular

The Forlorn Martyr: an incomplete guildline

#1 Post by Seig_2 »

First, if your new to EotA and happenend to stumble across The Forlorn Martyr, your really in for a ride, as he is one of the most difficult heros to play. But don't despair yet, he's also one of the most fun.

First things first, let us take a look at each ability and their contribution to this great hero.

Recharge) This is what I call your toss-in spell becuase it's already choosen for you and it cannot be lvl'd.
Builds up static (healing)--while your moving--based on how long your not attacked. This basically heals you for not being attacked by other units. The longer you wait after an attack, the more it heals. Heals anywere from 20-600, possibly more. This spell is Evocation.

Ion Surge) This is your hero killing spell.
Turns an enemy hero ethreal for 5sec and turns any attack you do to instead do magic damage. This spell is upgraded by Int (.35 x int) and Evocation (This does the same thing as Ethreal Healing or Arcane Mistress's Ethreal).
Note. This is NOT physical damage, so all the armor in the world won't help your enemies.

Polarize) This is your farming spell. While not as effective as other AoE's, (Holy Strike, Frost Spire, Caustic Breath, ect) it nonetheless is very helpful.
When too close to other units, does damage to both the polarized and near units. This spell is upgraded by Int (0.1 x int).

Thunderstrike) This is your hero killing support spell.
When cast on an enemy hero, silences them for 4sec at lvl 1(They can't cast spells for that amount of time) and gives them a chance to miss on their next attack (I think it's 50% at lvl 1). If cast on a structure, 6 additional Thunderstrikes will occur. Also deals damage to structures and summonend units. Thunderstrike is Evocation.

Streak) This is your escape spell.
Leaps from unit to unit to reach a target point. Each unit within the path are stunned for 2sec. This is similar to dash, except it doesn't do damage and it stuns.

Stormspire) This is your ultimate.
Summons a stormspire (obilisk) with enhancing abiliities. Basically, it makes your other abilities better.
Ion Surge: adds 25% damage while in range.
Polarize: deals 0.1 x mana additional damage while in range.
Streak: increases range while in range.
Thunderstrike: treats Thunderstrike as a structure while in range.
Stormspire also adds 1% to attack damage per 16 mana and 1% to movement speed per 32 mana. Stormspire also has mana of its own and regens mana.

Well now that we made past the intro to Ardin, we move on to specs and item build. Ardin Stormsabre is a melee, int hero--one of a kind--with low hp, fast attack speed, and a high potential for mass hero killing. Because he's arguably the weakest melee hero and his primary attribute is int, you'll need to be extra careful when fighting, expecially at early lvls. As a result, health potions are an ideal choice for early game play. They're only 75g and heal 500hp. The mana potions are good too, but only if your really in need. as far as other consumables go, you don't really need much, other than possibly dust of appearence or termite jar. Remember, you have a heal so amulet of health is not needed. Instead, save your gold for repairs, creep hiring, and mainly, item building. Thats what really gets this guy good. Your a hero killer, not support, so they're going to depend on your for keeping other heros at bay. Let them deal mainly with troop support and pushing. You concentrate on getting your hero buffed, but remember to have a little extra cash if they need it.
A correctly specd hero can make all the difference in terms of survivablity, depenabilty, and ownagablity. (I know that isn't a word but wth). A good--but not always ideal--way to find out what items are the best for your hero is to look at your PA (primary attribute) and spells. Spells often say what they're upgraded by. For istance, Ion Surge is upgraded by int/evo as I stated before.

Note. Don't always mass your PA, look at your options, alot of specing has to do with common sense. Heres a guideline of the items I recommend (highly). Also, I'm not expecting you to purchace all of these items, or even these in particular. These are just the good ones for him.
Lvl 1 shop
Orb of the Magi--get this if your not going for Crystal Staff or other mana boosts.
Orb of Skill--int and agi on Ardin are deadly.
Knight's Armor--good for staying alive, or
Robes of Resistance--good for those high dmg casters, or
Scorceror's Robes--good for extra int and mana.
Gloves of evocation--excellent for getting Ion Surge up. (better than int ring)

Lvl 2 shop
Dexterous Ring--extra agi is always a good idea for DPS heros like Ardin.
Ring of Wisdom--I only get this for extra mana. If you get the magi orb or crystal staff don't bother. Get some str or even more agi.
Ring of Might--this goes with the line above. Recharge is good but it won't stop a 1200dmg Ice lance. :(
Helm of Champions--also excellent combo (better than agi ring). A must have!

Unique shop (don't buy all these just one, MAYBE two)
Crystal Staff--very nice to have if you've got the cash and want Ion Surge to hit hard (really hard). :)
Talisman of the sun--also very nice. :)
Flute of the winds--more agi!
Storm Hammer--? its int.

Well, thats about it. Remember, whatever you choose to buy can effect your heros potential. All the items are good. Just some are better for certain heroes. Hope this helped,
--Sieg_2

Note. Much of the wording was taken from actual context. In which case it becomes the words of Darn Yak and not my own, Im simply restating them.
Last edited by Seig_2 on January 14th, 2008, 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: The Forlorn Martyr: a complete guildline

#2 Post by Dekar »

Please learn to edit your posts and remove the 5 pages of empty space.

Also a "complete guildline" should feature different skill builds and how to play them.

Some descriptions of the skills are missing some stuff. Stormspire doesnt regen mana, it gains mana through every spell cast close to it. Thunderstrike causes miss in an AoE. That may not be everything that needs to be rewritten.

Using bold and different font sizes would drastically improve readability.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

#3 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

In addittion to what Dekar said a guild or whatever goes in this forum viewforum.php?f=23
Backwards E's are badass

Seig_2
Regular
Regular

#4 Post by Seig_2 »

I don't think it's needed to list every single thing about everything, they need to figure stuff out for themselves. I will do some editing though. Stormspire gains mana which is like the same as regening it (the whole point is that it gets mana). I guess a skill build wound'nt hurt. The things pretty long already and I've never made a build before but whatever. Also, I did mention how to use each ability to some extent. Thanxs for the ideas,
--Sieg_2

Storamin
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#5 Post by Storamin »

Seig_2 wrote:I don't think it's needed to list every single thing about everything, they need to figure stuff out for themselves.
The whole idea of a complete guide is that it is... well... complete.

Seig_2
Regular
Regular

#6 Post by Seig_2 »

Complete can mean several different things. If you think you can write a better one then perhaps you should consider it. My "guildline" for FM was I think straitforward and easy to understand. If you can't understand wth Im talking about, then you shouldnt even be playing Eota.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

I can write a better guide, I already did.
Backwards E's are badass

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#8 Post by jamn455 »

Complete means thorough meaning everything to do with meaning finished.

This is not finished.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by Storamin »

jamn455 wrote:Complete means thorough meaning everything to do with meaning finished.

This is not finished.
Maybe if we repeat the concept of 'complete' in a third post he will understand.

Seig_2
Regular
Regular

#10 Post by Seig_2 »

your right, it isn't thats why I posted that I would be doing editing. Or are you all illiterate?

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by Strychnyne »

Seig, take a look at the other guides on this site. That's what we're looking for in a "Complete Guide." If you want your guide to be taken seriously, then you'll need to add more. You know what I mean? You can post whatever you want, really, but guides are used to show a new player how to play him, right? This basically just tells you what skills he's got. There can be a lot of improvement here. Think about it this way. If the guide tells you less than what you can get from the tool-tips in game, it's not doing its job. Get your own ideas out there, the ones that makes your build better than someone who plays differently from you.

The formatting issues aren't really that important, but if you want your guide to be read, or as I said, taken seriously, some presentation goes a long way. For instance, "Recharge" will also damage the next opponent you attack if you don't use it to heal. That's in the game, so why isn't it in the guide? It should give MORE than the game.

I've got some questions though. "Thunderstrike: treats Thunderstrike as a structure while in range" What does that mean? Do you mean the spire? Or it adds another strike? I don't get what that means.

This is a good barebones guide. Don't call it complete yet, just keep adding to it.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#12 Post by Discombobulator »

Can't you guys see that you're being trolled?

Granted, EotA newcomers IQ has been going downwards, but this is just way too dumb for someone who can read and write. I'm talking <20IQ dumb, which is the kind of people who can't eat without help, let alone troll forums.
I'm this forum's MVP.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#13 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

As long as we respond to his posts, he posts even more, insuring more hilarity.
Backwards E's are badass

Seig_2
Regular
Regular

#14 Post by Seig_2 »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:As long as we respond to his posts, he posts even more, insuring more hilarity.
A hypocrite at its finest.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#15 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Websters wrote:1. a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
2. a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.
I do not believe I've ever told you to stop posting, so I am not a hypocrite in this situation.
Backwards E's are badass

Seig_2
Regular
Regular

#16 Post by Seig_2 »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:As long as we respond to his posts, he posts even more, insuring more hilarity.
As long as I respond to his posts, he posts even more, insuring more hilarity. So its ok for you to go on and on, but not me? The only thing hilarious about this is the fact that your mocking me for the same thing your doing. So in actuality, your calling yourself an idiot (which your are). Basically dude, your sinking your own boat.
Last edited by Seig_2 on January 14th, 2008, 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mills
Addict
Addict

#17 Post by Mills »

Seig_2, did you take English class at all during school?

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#18 Post by Soulbourne »

Most kids don't remember or pay attention in that class so thats a horrible way to judge....
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#19 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

The only way this could possibly make sense is if he's calling himself AnAngryBearDoctor in 3rd person.
Backwards E's are badass

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#20 Post by Soulbourne »

So, I'm beggining to wonder..just read that and it makes perfect sense....
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...