Upgrades, the possibilities?

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

Upgrades, the possibilities?

#1 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

Given the stated problems by Yak of upgrades. If you like upgrades, I know I like them, you may want to give helpful suggestions to upgrades that will ensure and speed up the return of upgrades.

I was thinking of splitting upgrades into two upgrade centers with mana independant from one another. One upgrade center would have single unit upgrades, the other would have unit combo upgrade types (i.e. an upgrade that benifits a sorceress, knight, and elite archer| or | benifits Goblin Tank, Drake, and Shadow Dancer).

Then to further increase viable variety, would be on top of split upgrade centers, also have "strong spawns," spawn towers that don't need upgrades to keep up, at the same time cannot be upgraded.

Forced variety upgrade system would more than likely provide 3-4 viable spawn towers to choose from, and with "strong spawn," spawn towers (let's assume three choices), that would be 6-7 viable choices, that you customized and gave yourself to work with.

Well that's my input, feel free to give to suggestions like taking some things away from the idea, or adding, or modifying (but don't expect me to like it), also feel free to provide your own proposal. ^_^

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

Re: Upgrades, the possibilities?

#2 Post by Hammel »

I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) upgrades were partially taken out for balance reasons... now you come up with even more variety and tons of combined systems... *ouch* no good...

Somewhere, randomizing the upgrades was suggested... you can for example set the branch where to research (Melee, Ranged, Casters, Gobo), and then random upgrades or global ones come out.
In the background, the computer collects upgrade energy researching the different branches, where the amount of energy put into each branch is determined how many people set their focus in it.

Example: Game researches Weapons for melee branch, Ranged Reloading for ranged and Improved Starblast for casters. There are 5 players on the team, every 15 seconds the team gets a total of 16 upgrade energy (like in 1.10 on Storm). 2 players want to research ranged, 1 casters, one melee, and the pub dler didnt choose anything.
Then 2/(5-1) * 16 is spent for ranged (2 voted for ranged, 5 total, one didnt vote), 1/(5-1) * 16 for melee and casters each. When researching is done, the players are told, and the game secretly picks a new upgrade.

Now a unit variety is still kept alive, but still people can focus on a unit type, and all upgrades have more or less the same chance.

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#3 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

I think chance based is exactly what this game doesn't need. It's suppose to be strategy... The biggest complaint Yak has about upgrades, is that they cause players to focus into one or two spawn towers, what I offer is allow the user to choose what their plan or objective is, but still have flexibility by having more than just one or two viable spawn towers. Sure single spawn tower type spam could exist, if the given game calls for it. Strategy can be won by a complex and intricate solution, or just something basic or simple, but also Strategy is identifying which to use and when.

It would take a good ammount of work to balance my idea, but I think it would offer more to the game, and have a better balance in the long run.

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#4 Post by Hammel »

My idea just WOULDNT let people go for certain upgrades or single units since it goes for the whole branch... -.- Apart from that it limits the influence of pubbies. If they find ups at all, the impact is lower, and sometimes they even chose the "right" branch...

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by mianmian »

spawn towers that don't need upgrades to keep up
I would just get these, and then just focus on global upgrades, nothing would stop me ~~
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

kinguvspaz
Visitor
Visitor

#6 Post by kinguvspaz »

Yeah, the game is complicated, convoluted, and complex enough as it is. Upgrades would be wonderful, but I don't think an intricate system would be worth the time. I think there should be speed, health, armor, and attack(?) global upgrades, in a sort of rock paper scissors like the spawn towers. And I know there's no way to do a real rock paper scissors with armor and such, but still.
O! it is excellent / to have a giant's strength / but it is tyrannous / to use it like a giant.

my team needs a buff

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#7 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

mianmian wrote:
spawn towers that don't need upgrades to keep up, at the same time cannot be upgraded.
I would just get these, and then just focus on global upgrades, nothing would stop me ~~
***FIXED***

And on that note... Did your CAT scan really not find any air pockets? Because you may need a rescan.

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#8 Post by Hammel »

Get globals anyways for normal units...

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by mianmian »

***FIXED***

And on that note... Did your CAT scan really not find any air pockets? Because you may need a rescan.
Hey good call, I know they cant be upgrade I quoted it from your fucking post you stupid piece of shit, like h4m said I would get globals for the rest of my normal spawns, so there all upgrade, hows that sound?

Oh right it works you fucking idiot.
-Lithium flower

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#10 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

I suppose you use global upgrades for the original and think that's better, apperently you really don't have any credibility of strategy.

I find it funny you're weaseling out of it. Considering your so conviently cut out the "can't be upgraded part".

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by mianmian »

My bad I honestly though I had quoted it, but meh I knew they werent upgraded, but thats BETTER since I dont waste UPGRADES ON THEM you fucking douche :D
-Lithium flower

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#12 Post by Hammel »

Btw, global upgrades wouldnt be global if they didnt affect these spawns Oo just a random thought...