Undead - Shadow Cleric

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

Undead - Shadow Cleric

#1 Post by perambulation »

Hero Name - Mathiaas Darkcaster
Hero Type - Shadow Cleric
Race - Undead
Primary Attribute - Intelligence
Model - Druid of the Talon (Night Elf Form) Edited to look half-Undead half-Night Elf - units\nightelf\DruidoftheTalon\DruidoftheTalon.mdl
Soundset - Draenei

Description - A once high ranking member of the Council of Clergy, Mathiaas fell to the plague of the Scourge with the rest of the Eastern Kingdom. Before his death his family was visciously slain at the hands of the merciless Scourge. As his body was being taken over by the plague of the Scourge, his Night Elf magics attempted to heal the plague, but only half succeeding. When Mathiaas awoke, he was left half-Night Elf and half-Undead, a being only existing and driven by an insatiable thirt for revenge and a lust to rid the world of the plague that is the Scourge. Feeling no longer worthy of his old name and what it stood for Mathiaas fationed himself a new name, a name describing what he has become.

Innate:

Transfuse
Mathiaas sucks the essence out of a nearby corpse, replenishing 1% of his total mana per second over 15 seconds.

Skills:

Howl of the Damned
Mathiaas calls forth the spirits of the damned, temporarily stunning surrounding units and increasing their chance to miss during attacks. Stun does 100 damage and lasts Int x (0.07/0.075/0.08/0.085/0.09/0.095) seconds while the Fear lasts 10 seconds causing (10%/13%/16%/19%/22%/25%) chance to miss.

Proclimation of the Dead
The Shadow Cleric marks a hero with the Dark Mark of the Dead, causing all spells cast on that target to deal more damage. Lasts 5 seconds, damage increases per level. Adds Agility x (0.6/9/1.2/1.5/1.8/2.1) extra damage per spell cast on the unit, does damage to the unit no matter what spell is cast. Can be de-buffed.

Shield of Pain
The Shadow Cleric instantly casts a Shield-spell causing a portion of the damage inflicted to him to be transfered to surrounding units, whether they be enemies or allies. Lasts 15 seconds. Transfers Str x (0.1/0.2/0.3/0.4/0.5/0.6) % damage to surrounding units. If the product is more than 40% it is automatically reduced to 40%.

Infused Soul
Casts a magical binding spell, causing the target and Mathiaas' souls to become infused. If the other unit dies while under the influence of Infused Soul, Mathiaas will gain life points. If Mathiaas dies before the other unit, the other unit will gain full health points. However if neither die before the spell is over, both will suffer extreme pain from having their souls seperated. Lasts 20 seconds. Mathiaas gains (50/75/100/125/150/175) health points from units, (200/300/400/500/600/700) health points from heroes and each unit stands to lose (85/115/145/175/205/235) health points if the spell is not completed.

Shadow Corruption - ULTIMATE
Mathiaas corrupts a heroes mind from afar, causing it to act iradically and attack allied units. Mathiaas will lose control of his own body and only be able to corrupt the target, and will instantly stop channeling the spell as soon as he is attacked. Can be channeled for Int x (0.1/0.125/0.15/0.175/0.2/0.225)

For Shadow Corruption, the hero would be changed to the computer of the allied team, rather than a human controlled player. What could happen is the unit just starts attacking allies, or if you're willing could cast random spells on random targets. (Though that would take a shit load of time having to trigger something for each possible Corrupted hero)

If any of you believe that these spells can't be done, try me and I'll explain how. =P
Last edited by perambulation on January 13th, 2007, 11:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#2 Post by Tehw00tz »

The ability and concept seem fine, except for the ultimate and Transfer Pain.
Transfer Pain just seems like Shared Pain from the Shadow Shaman.
Mind Control, viewed from the public, would seem to be a slight copy of ideas from the AotZ hero Scamp.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

#3 Post by perambulation »

Edited thanks to w00tz suggestions =P

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#4 Post by Pheonick »

Right now I'm only focusing on the second learnable skill: Proclamation of the Dead.
If I'm correct, this spell deals damage to the target when a spell is cast on it? In which case the description should be modified, right now at first glance it looks like a spin on ethereal buff rather than circumstance-activated damage: "casing all spells cast to deal more damage" should be changed to say -extra- damage. Maybe extend the duration a little also, 7s (since it is dispellable). Last thing; why agi modifier? o.O

Otherwise nice hero =D

P.S. For Infused Soul, maybe a promotion effect could be added to the unit affected if you die? I mean, it's a fairly weak trade-off, you die, some creep gets fully healed and lives for another 5-10s. I just think it would be somewhat suitable that the creep become empowered from your soul being released to it.

P.P.S. Forgot about the first spell. Every time i go an int hero, seems to be my int goes above 100 during the game, which would mean 9+s stun at max level. That just seems a bit too long for me.
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

#5 Post by perambulation »

The reason the duration of Proclamation of the Dead is so short is because the ALL spells would do damage to the unit. (It would also have maybe a 10-15 sec cooldown, and cost a fair amount of mana) So any friendly spells, buffs, or anything would cause damage to the unit. Also, the agility modifier was meant to be intelligence. =(

For Infused Soul, I was thinking that it would be more of a spell to be cast on heroes, something like (I don't want to do any comparaisons to DotA, but I must here) Strywygrs spell that gives him health every time he kills a unit, but way more if he kills a hero. It's also not really meant to be a 50-50 thing so that if the caster dies the other unit also gets a big bonus, it's supposed to be more beneficial for him. =P

Maybe instead of Int x (0.07/0.075/0.08/0.085/0.09/0.095) I could have it as 0.1 + Int x 0.03/0.037/0.41/0.048/0.055/0.062 plus maybe an automatic reduction like Shield of Pain.

I'm also thinking that one of these spells should be changed to some nuke, like Shadow Bolt in World of Warcraft, seeing as that's pretty much where I got inspiration for this hero in the first place. =P

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#6 Post by Pheonick »

I also forgot to mention for the first spell, since the stun will be quite long, unless the blindness debuff activates after stun ends, it's duration will be severely hampered. It could stand to last longer anyway, since it seems to be a debuff spell at the moment [flat low damage (will that increase with level?) with stun + curse].

You'll have to make proclamtion of the dead quite noticable in it's spell graphics, so allies ill know when to spellblast the victim too.

All this hero creation talk is making me want to continue with my own =D
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

#7 Post by perambulation »

I'm also thinking of replacing the Fear (it would've been triggered to activate after the stun) instead casting Proclimation of the Dead on surrounding targets (3 max), and the damage may change a bit, but not dramatically.

I'd show you the model I'm thinking of for Proclimation of the Dead, but my internet's being quite slow so I don't think I can risk it, heh.

Also I've decided to change his ultimate to Shadowbolt Volley ( inspiration from Lord Kazzak of WoW =P ) which has a 2 second casting time (or maybe a channel?), and releases 3 waves of Shadowbolts (Death coil/some other art) at surrounding units, dealing damage based on intelligence (Maybe 0.63/0.96/1.29/1.62/1.95/2.27) with a pause of about 1.5 seconds between each wave. Also has a huge circular range, possibly 900 units. I've been trying to trigger this to see what it'd be like, but so far I haven't been successful, there's no Death Coil art for the dummy spell (guessing because I used Chain Lightning, I think I'll just switch to Death Coil, heh) and it stops casting after one spell.

(Trigger copied as text because I still suck at Jass)

Shadowbolt Volley
Events
Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
Conditions
(Ability being cast) Equal to Shadowbolt Volley (Thunderclap Base)
Actions
If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
If - Conditions
(Level of Shadowbolt Volley (Thunderclap Base) for (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1
Then - Actions
Set sbolt_damage = ((Real((Intelligence of (Casting unit) (Include bonuses)))) x 0.63)
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 900.00 of (Position of (Casting unit))) and do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 3, do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Unit - Create 1 dummy for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing (270.0) degrees
Unit - Add Dummy Shadowbolt (Chain Lightning base) to (Last created unit)
Unit - Add a 1.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Far Seer - Chain Lightning (Picked unit)
Unit - Order (Last created unit) to damage (Picked unit) for sbolt_damage using attack type Spells and damage type Death.
Wait 1.50 seconds
Else - Actions
Do nothing

perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

#8 Post by perambulation »

Okay, I've revised all of the spells and would like to submit an edited version thanks to Phoenick's and w00tz suggestions.

Howl of the Damned
Mathiaas howls, calling forth the spirits of the damned, causing the units to run in fear and increases their chance to miss during attacks. Fear lasts Int x (0.07/0.075/0.08/0.085/0.09/0.095) seconds while the chance to miss lasts 10 seconds after the Fear expires causing (10%/13%/16%/19%/22%/25%) chance to miss.

Proclamation of the Dead
The Shadow Cleric marks a hero with the Dark Mark of the Dead, causing all spells cast on that target to deal more damage. Lasts 10 seconds, damage increases per level. Adds Intelligence x (0.6/9/1.2/1.5/1.8/2.1) extra damage to each spell cast on the unit, does damage to the unit no matter what spell is cast. Can be debuffed.

Shield of Pain
The Shadow Cleric instantly casts a Shield-spell around a targeted unit causing a portion of the damage inflicted to the unit to be transfered to surrounding units, whether they be enemies or allies. Transfers 5/10/15/20/25/30 % damage to surrounding units. Lasts 15 seconds.

Infused Soul
Casts a magical binding spell, causing the target and Mathiaas' souls to become infused. If the other unit dies while under the influence of Infused Soul, Mathiaas will gain life points. If Mathiaas dies before the other unit, the other unit will gain full health points. However if neither die before the spell is over, both will suffer extreme pain from having their souls separated. Lasts 20 seconds. Mathiaas gains (50/75/100/125/150/175) health points from units, (200/300/400/500/600/700) health points from heroes and each unit stands to lose (85/115/145/175/205/235) health points if the spell is not completed.

Shadowbolt Volley - Ultimate
Mathiaas channels some of his spirit into a massive volley of Shadowbolts, releasing 3 waves of Shadowbolts to all surrounding units. Each Shadowbolt deals Intelligence x (0.63/0.96/1.29/1.62/1.95/2.27) Has a 2 second casting time. The loss of a portion of his soul causes him excruciating pain, dealing 300 damage to himself.

(Edit: Transfuse is still the same.)