Oh joy, another .11 bug!

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Oh joy, another .11 bug!

#1 Post by Tehw00tz »

I was playing Candleburg quite a while ago, and this happened.
It was probally caused by my hero's (Forgot her name atm) ultimate, making creeps land ontop houses.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Ion
Communist

#2 Post by Ion »

You don't have to worry much 'cause Yak doesn't make this game anymore.
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

Ion wrote:You don't have to worry much 'cause Yak doesn't make this game anymore.
Believe it or not, I actualy open the editor every few days, get pissed off at how slow it is, then give up go play WoW without getting anything done.

Adding undead, unfortuantely, pushed the already stressed worldedit passed any sane person's level of tolerance.

DarnYak

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#4 Post by Tehw00tz »

DarnYak wrote:Adding undead, unfortuantely, pushed the already stressed worldedit passed any sane person's level of tolerance.
DarnYak
Can't you just like.. Open it up and go take a nap or something then program the EotA goodness?
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

DarnYak wrote:
Ion wrote:You don't have to worry much 'cause Yak doesn't make this game anymore.
Believe it or not, I actualy open the editor every few days, get pissed off at how slow it is, then give up go play WoW without getting anything done.

Adding undead, unfortuantely, pushed the already stressed worldedit passed any sane person's level of tolerance.

DarnYak
That's a shame.

By the way, for the JASS problems I know you've mentioned in the past (as in, it taking hours to save, and then having a code error) there's a tool called World Editor Helper that has a much better JASS syntax checker in it on WC3C, if you care.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by DarnYak »

Tehw00tz wrote:Can't you just like.. Open it up and go take a nap or something then program the EotA goodness?
The loading/saving, while a pain in the ass, isn't the entire problem. I can handle large blocks of time where I can't do anything. What I can't handle is everytime I need to add a skill/unit or anything relating to one it gives me a 10-20 second delay before responding. This isn't so bad when triggerinig, but when trying to finish stuff it's highly frustrating.

At one point I attempted to delete a bunch of stuff to try and fix this (there's some unused stuff I never cleaned up, as well as other things that I later remade better but still had leftovers), but the editor would just instantly crash if I attempted to delete it. I'm pretty certain EotA is far, far past the bounds of what the world editor was ever intended to do.
By the way, for the JASS problems I know you've mentioned in the past (as in, it taking hours to save, and then having a code error) there's a tool called World Editor Helper that has a much better JASS syntax checker in it on WC3C, if you care.
Yea, I really need to try out some of those, but as noted above that's not the extent of the problem. It may, however, help me on those times where I spent over 2 hours trying to find one syntax error.

On the bright side, I tend to go through phases where i work on EotA consistantly for a while, and then periods where i dont even want to think about it. I think i'm re-entering the working phase.

DarnYak

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#7 Post by Tehw00tz »

If possible would getting rid of one of the maps help? We could have a poll on which to get rid of.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

BustroQuick
Battle.net name: googlypoo

#8 Post by BustroQuick »

It was already interminably long with just Stormwail (my version of 1.10 already has 10 minute loading times), and removing a map would probably cause WE to crash because of EotA's apparent fragility.

It's a shame really, I don't think much can be done other than the previously mentioned, or rebuilding the map from the ground up. Which would never happen.

Reborn

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

Tehw00tz wrote:If possible would getting rid of one of the maps help? We could have a poll on which to get rid of.
Its not a terrain size issue. Its the number of custom abilities/items. With like 200 items (since every 1 item is acutaly 6 for each level of it), and almost every spell has at least one, if not two, dummy spells to go with it.

Ideally, the best way to fix it would be to combine all spells that share the same base spell. For example, if something uses innerfire, have it use levels 1-6 for one spell, then levels 7-12 for a different spell, etc. Would be a giant hassle to convert it to this, but it would speed the editor up greatly.

DarnYak

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#10 Post by Shadow.M4L »

Woahw 10-20 seconds loading time for one friggin object editor change...
And that with brush list off?

Well for the save times, i know someone who did make a tool with that you can save even largest map in less then 10 seconds. I need to talk to him about that when i see him around.

For the Items i had a idea that never worked out... combining the Items with the Spellbook ability. But you cant detect a item and so you cant change the Level of the Spells in the Spellbook. If you could manage to get this idea working... You can imagine how many items you could just delete. But thats only a dream~
But if you get it working tell me iam highly interested in it.

So the only thing you could do is deleting items or abilitys...

Ahh yeah almost forget something... what system you have? Maybe your pc is not good enough?
Somewhere on Wc3c was a thread where was explained what causes lag in the editor, maybe you didnt looked up to it.

perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

#11 Post by perambulation »

Sounds like Yak needs some WE:Unlimited and WC3 Map Optimizer =P

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#12 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

WEU is crap. It adds stuff that is (generally) not useful for most people.

perambulation
Wanderer
Wanderer

#13 Post by perambulation »

Aside from turning most extensive triggers into one action...?

I think you really should look at all it can do before saying it's crap.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#14 Post by Tehw00tz »

Yak has been mapping for atleast 2 years, I'm sure the thought occured to him.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by DarnYak »

perambulation wrote:Sounds like Yak needs some WE:Unlimited and WC3 Map Optimizer =P
I use map optimizer already. Its a wonderful tool, however it comes after all editing is done (as you can't edit the optimized map), so all it really does is cut down on load time in game. Helps editing not at all.

I tried WEU once. I don't feel its bad, but at the same time I didn't see it being any better (I could be wrong but i believe it was just a hack on top of normal world edit to add some features, not a seperate specialy optimized editor)

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#16 Post by Dekar »

Maybe you should try the WE Helper, it replaces the normal JASS parser with a custom one that doesn't crash and seems to work faster while giving better infos on errors. It also adds some features to the WE and a WEU plugin for WEH exists, too.

Download WEH
* Preprocesses //! define and //! import commands. Also merges globals.
* Enables you to open maps in Explorer while World Editor is running.
* You can choose to test maps in Window and/or OpenGL mode.
* Replaces World Editor's syntax checker with the stable PJASS.
* Has a own browser for maps.
* Backup of every map save
* Plugin support
* Easy to use with World Editor Unlimited
* Support for custom loaders in test map
BTW, check your messages.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

xmusicfreakx
Wanderer
Wanderer

#17 Post by xmusicfreakx »

WEH is really a great tool, at first I thought it had too much that wouldn't be useful (like WE Unlimited), but actually it's a lot faster and way better for triggering. Have you ever used JassCraft? It uses the same parser as WEH, and it gives errors that are a lot more thorough than WorldEdit's.

Can't help you with objects though...only thing I can propose is getting a better PC, but of course you're not going to do that just to edit a map.

Actually, now that I think about it, there is one thing that somewhat helps with speed. When you open WE, go to the Task Manager and set the priority of worldedit.exe to High. Don't use Realtime because it usually crashes. There was a post about this on WC3Campaigns.net but I can't seem to find it at the moment...

You can pretty much blame blizzard because they coded WE without speed in mind, they just tried to write it as fast as they could. Same goes with JASS.

layzie86988
Wanderer
Wanderer

#18 Post by layzie86988 »

Almost makes me want to go back to hand editing the files inside the MPQs like before Frozen Throne... At least then it was as fast as your favorite word processor, as long as you remembered which files needed to be changed for a given in-game element. 'Course, there's a whole host of other problems that could arise...

xmusicfreakx
Wanderer
Wanderer

#19 Post by xmusicfreakx »

layzie86988 wrote:Almost makes me want to go back to hand editing the files inside the MPQs like before Frozen Throne... At least then it was as fast as your favorite word processor, as long as you remembered which files needed to be changed for a given in-game element. 'Course, there's a whole host of other problems that could arise...
Why not? I do that all the time with protected maps...the only problem I have is working with binary files, which is where stupid C++ has to come in. <_<

Honestly, I really want to write a program that makes manual editing of MPQ's easier. Like make it command-based or something, and that way you can manually edit the triggering and the units and all the other stuff without using slow-ass World Editor.

layzie86988
Wanderer
Wanderer

#20 Post by layzie86988 »

Honestly, I really want to write a program that makes manual editing of MPQ's easier. Like make it command-based or something, and that way you can manually edit the triggering and the units and all the other stuff without using slow-ass World Editor.
Seriously. I'd use it. Let me know if you actually start something like that and I'd see how I could help.