Verdant Falls Feedback

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Verdant Falls Feedback

#1 Post by DarnYak »

Here's an overview of the map since its not all clear in game:

3 Lanes
Each lane has a shrine in it (marked by a Font)
Every 5 minutes or so, there will be a warning that a shrine is about to activate. After 15 seconds, it begins the activation proces (marked by the 2 statues channeling the Font). During this time, every 2 seconds credit is given for each hero within range of the Font. At the end, tower cores are awarded and divided based on the credit earned during this time.
After that, it turns into a King of the Hill for control of the Font. Whenever only one side has heroes left in range, the shrine switches control to that team and grants them a spawn wave. Repeated successful captures of a shrine spawn bigger waves.
From the time activation begins to the time capture completes, all heroes that entered the battle for a shrine become with 0 gold and 3 crystal. In addition, their respawn is suspended until the shrine is captured, at which point all heroes immediately respawn.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: Verdant Falls Feedback

#2 Post by Dekar »

Maybe you should add a effect circle so we can see the area we are supposed to stay in?

Or change the terrain to a circle if that isnt the case yet. Didnt look for that without knowing how it worked.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#3 Post by Kalrithus »

just some observations from the game I just played
On capturing Fonts and Tower cores allotted
1st Font - Font of Tides (Right Lane) Had 50%-83% control when captured, awarded 1 tower core, Gained small spawn wave
2nd Font - Font of Tides again, Had 100% control the entire time, awarded 0 tower cores, Gained a larger spawn wave.
3rd Font - Font of Tides again, 100% control the whole time, awarded 2 tower cores, Gained large spawn wave + naga hero
4th Font - Font of Zenith, 100% control, 1 tower core, small spawn wave
5th Font - Font of Growth, 100% control, 1 tower core, small spawn wave
6th Font - Font of Tides, 100% control, 2 tower cores, back to small spawn wave.
7th Font - Font of Growth, 100% control, 2 tower cores, medium spawn wave.

The game crashed around when the 8th Font would have become active, I can supply crash report if desired.

Thoughts: Gameplay is very fast and fun. The spawn waves seem to be a nice bonus early game but seem to lack a punch later on. Since I saw the naga hero at the 3rd spawn and he seemed to be like a permanent merc hero, I assume that the other fonts award something similar. Oh and is the naga hero supposed to do more than auto-attack and run around?

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Crash report wouldn't hurt. Unless it's somehow just an out of memory error (how long was the game?)
Oh and is the naga hero supposed to do more than auto-attack and run around?
That's part of what's unfinished this version. And yes, all the shrines have their own hero.

As for the cores awarded: It currently is set up to award 1.5 cores per capture, split based on percentages. I may have it increase the cores awarded over time, undecided.

Also debating on increasing the interval at which shrines activate. It just seems a little too far inbetween at the moment.
The spawn waves seem to be a nice bonus early game but seem to lack a punch later on.
Yea, initially I had the spawns insanely strong, now I think I need to go back and rebuff them a little. Also didnt help all my early tests were very early game shrines (shines had a 5 second instead of 5 minute interval) against at most 1 hero.

BTW, i'm also looking for feedback on the map terrain/design/layout. And I hate any of you that think i copied DotA, I spent a few hours trying to come up with a 3 lane design that didn't end up coming out effectively the same.

DarnYak

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#5 Post by Kalrithus »

Code: Select all

----------------------------------------
    Memory Dump
----------------------------------------

Code: 16 bytes starting at (EIP = 6F4790C1)

6F4790C1: 8B 51 0C 8B  49 08 56 57  E8 62 69 BC  FF 8B 7C 24  .Q..I.VW.bi...|$

Stack: 1024 bytes starting at (ESP = 0018EE64)

* = addr               **                                         *           
0018EE60: FC 7E 36 2A  00 00 00 00  8F 31 04 6F  74 EE 18 00  .~6*.....1.ot...
0018EE70: FC 7E 36 2A  00 00 C8 43  5C 72 3C 6F  FF FF FF FF  .~6*...C\r<o....
0018EE80: 04 EF 18 00  54 EF 18 00  C5 7B 94 6F  B8 D1 45 6F  ....T....{.o..Eo
0018EE90: 85 ED 12 00  42 36 30 41  06 00 00 00  A4 D1 45 6F  ....B60A......Eo
0018EEA0: 16 EA 44 6F  B0 F1 79 10  06 00 00 00  9C D1 45 6F  ..Do..y.......Eo
0018EEB0: B0 F1 79 10  68 97 11 31  08 00 00 00  00 00 A0 41  ..y.h..1.......A
0018EEC0: 8A 19 8F C6  3A 78 0F 43  15 00 24 00  2C 2E D0 64  ....:x.C..$.,..d
0018EED0: D6 B7 45 6F  68 97 11 31  08 EF 18 00  93 A0 45 6F  ..Eoh..1......Eo
0018EEE0: 94 E0 FF B6  00 00 00 00  08 EF 18 00  30 EF 18 00  ............0...
0018EEF0: 28 E6 82 6F  00 00 00 00  85 ED 12 00  42 36 30 41  (..o........B60A
This is the only part that looked somewhat suspicious, I could just be seeing things but it reminds me of ability raw code. The game was right around the 40 min mark or so.

Code: Select all

Played Maps\Download\EotA_Twilight_1_12d_Test1.w3x
Player  0 United Creeps     	Race Human	StartLoc  0
Player  1 Elven Battalion   	Race NightElf	StartLoc  1
Player  2 WorldEdit         	Race Human	StartLoc  2
Player  3 Joram Sunrunner   	Race NightElf	StartLoc  3
Player  4 Lyfial Meadowsong 	Race Orc	StartLoc  4
Player  5 Angeline          	Race Human	StartLoc  5
Player  6 Sue Jadeheart     	Race NightElf	StartLoc  6
Player  7 Requiem           	Race Human	StartLoc  7
Player  8 Fenris            	Race Undead	StartLoc  8
Player  9 Gravel            	Race NightElf	StartLoc  9
Player 10 Lady Eventide     	Race NightElf	StartLoc 10
Player 11 Chrona Timebender 	Race Orc	StartLoc 11
I was playing Scarab

Overall I like the layout of the map, although there are plenty of places that may be irritating to people because of how you can weave in and out of the lanes through the forested areas and force LoS issues. The only thing that reminded me of DotA was the map shape and that is only the case of that one DotA - Darkness Falls from forever ago. And thinking back I believe that was a narrower map than verdant falls

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Setokaiva

#6 Post by Setokaiva »

I personally liked Verdant Falls, it's a nice alternative to Candleburg. What I like about it most is all the winding forest paths and there is almost no barrier in between, resulting in the whole thing actually being one giant killing ground, and units only go down the paths yet can go pretty much anywhere. Also the fact that the gold mines are located IN those lanes rather than at bases makes holding the advantage in ground all the more important, this combined with the whole fonts thing makes for a very chaotic game where the situation can change in a split-second. Love it, Yak. Love it.
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#7 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

I agree, the new map is excellent. I'm not sure why you were worried people would shout DotA just because it's 3 lanes...
I miss EotA :(

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

Cokemonkey11 wrote:I'm not sure why you were worried people would shout DotA just because it's 3 lanes...
Because that was said within 10 seconds of the first game starting? ;P

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#9 Post by Dekar »

:P
Come on, it was 3 lanes without any outposts and the bases bottom left and top right with shops scattered in the forest. How does that not look like DotA if you saw it for only 5 seconds. Softmints just changed the terrain of RoW ( if anyone of you remembers it ) to DotA style, too.

The external goldmines should be a nice incentive to push, but there is only one on the middle lane? That gives the lane significantly more importance.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#10 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

RoW changed that? I actually liked the lanes there...
I miss EotA :(

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

Dekar wrote:Come on, it was 3 lanes without any outposts and the bases bottom left and top right with shops scattered in the forest. How does that not look like DotA if you saw it for only 5 seconds. Softmints just changed the terrain of RoW ( if anyone of you remembers it ) to DotA style, too.
I'm not disputing that the layout, in very broad terms, is the same. Just saying I dont want peopel bitching that I copied DotA, becuase the only wayt o not have a 3 lane map not look liek dota is switch the corners, and then it's just DotA rotated 90 degrees ;P
The external goldmines should be a nice incentive to push, but there is only one on the middle lane? That gives the lane significantly more importance.
There's two per side, both sort of close to each other but in different lanes.

DarnYak

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#12 Post by Sparda963 »

DarnYak wrote:Just saying I dont want peopel bitching that I copied DotA
DarnYak
I'ts about 6 years to late for that one yak, you made an AoS therefor you copied DotA!!!
It's not rape if you yell surprise!

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by DarnYak »

Just incase anyone wants/needs these..

DarnYak
Attachments
Verdant Falls Overhead.jpg
Verdant Falls Angled.jpg

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by DarnYak »

Just FYI, I'm changing the shrine activation from 6-8 minutes to 3-5 minutes (the first one will be 5-7 mins, for a little extra delay for people to level)

DarnYak

Zdig25
Visitor
Visitor
Battle.net name: KingOHearts

#15 Post by Zdig25 »

Question: so does an hiding infiltrator still gain the points around the shrine?

Also I was thinking a cool improvement would be the comps using their tower cores for unit towers :) just an idea.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by DarnYak »

Zdig25 wrote:Question: so does an hiding infiltrator still gain the points around the shrine?
Yes. I was originally planning to not allow that, but decided players can deal with it. That does, however, remind me that I don't think I added anti-invisibility code for dealing with the moontears.
Also I was thinking a cool improvement would be the comps using their tower cores for unit towers
There was going to be an AI for all comp teams at one point, but never had time to properly impliment it.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by DarnYak »

BTW, I've further reduced the delay between shrine battles to be randomly 1.5m-4m (from 3-5m). I'm trying to find a happy medium where they're frequent enough, but not so frequent you have no time to do normal lane pushing.

DarnYak