Announcement: The Project

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
Setokaiva
Resident
Resident
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Setokaiva

Announcement: The Project

#1 Post by Setokaiva »

I have an announcement for all those in the EotA community I think you'll like. There is currently an ongoing movement among some of the clans on WC3 called Project EQ (Equilibrium), whose goal is to establish a union of clans that shares resources, ideas & more freely. It began as an idea by one AkechiMitsuhide, chieftain of Clan Oda, a Dynasty Warriors clan on US East, and has a few others already most notably Clan DWE, another Dynasty Warriors clan. I've also joined my own clan, GoED, to this community, as I immediately realized it's potential. What it is is a full-blown website on the Enjin boards complete with forums, chat rooms & more, all dedicated to a steadily growing union of like-minded clans & individuals. And I was wondering if you guys wanted to join up as well.

I've already talked with our other senior members particularly the ones who own bots, and they've agreed that if you guys want to join up with us, we'll donate one of our bots to host EotA on a regular basis again. All you would have to do is head to the forums and sign up, mingle with the community and add your resources & ideas to ours. I'm offering this not just because we need as many members as we can get to be effective, but because EotA is my all-time favorite map and it is such a crying shame that it is not hosted more often, or at all anymore.

So for all those interested in the Project please check out the below link and sign up. We're still a young community and need everyone we can get; and with your permission, Yak, we'll get to hosting EotA on our bots ASAP. I'll leave this all up to you, but with the coming new version of EotA and the possibilities of this new community, I think it may just be the jolt needed to revitalize it, so I'm hoping you'll accept.
http://project-eq.com/
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

FlyingFridge
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: FlyingFridge

Re: Announcement: The Project

#2 Post by FlyingFridge »

Sounds interesting. Also like a good deal.
I'm in.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#3 Post by Tehw00tz »

Sounds like COMMUNISM to me
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#4 Post by jamn455 »

I am pretty sure that it isn't hosted anymore because nobody played the game when we had a bot hosting the game. Nobody likes waiting 60+ minutes for a 4v4 or 5v5, and anything less is a waste of time.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by Setokaiva »

Huh...? what about BanEvasion who scored a record of 1000+ games on the EotA hostbot, and all of them had to be 5v5 to start? I would play EotA every night and always get in about a couple games, and I'm pretty sure my record was around 200-300, maybe less though I could be wrong. It was easier once a game finished because some of the people from that would always join the RM, giving a nice kickstart. People DID play on the EotA hostbot.

I agree about the less than 4v4 or 5v5 being a waste of time, but no one says we have to have less.
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#6 Post by jamn455 »

Don't believe you.
Line 'em up.
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Zdig25
Visitor
Visitor
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: KingOHearts

#7 Post by Zdig25 »

Sounds like a great idea :)

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#8 Post by Discombobulator »

No offense broseph but this sound like something straight from 2006.
I'm this forum's MVP.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

I'm not exactly clear on what this is. Are we being asked to give up these forums and all go move over there? I don't even see any forums over there, presuming they're hidden until you register.
I am pretty sure that it isn't hosted anymore because nobody played the game when we had a bot hosting the game. Nobody likes waiting 60+ minutes for a 4v4 or 5v5, and anything less is a waste of time.
No i'm pretty sure its not hosted anymore because its got flaws and was never updated. ;P It became popular right when i had no more time to do real updates.

DarnYak

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#10 Post by Discombobulator »

Also the site's design looks like it came straight from 2004. Whatever happened to Web 2.0?

edit: The fact that they're using "Enjin" tells me they have 0 competent web devs in their metacommunity or whatever they call themselves.

While the cause may be admirable, the time for WC3 has really passed.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#11 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Seems like a good idea to me. Join forums acquire new bot.
I miss EotA :(

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#12 Post by jamn455 »

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't like the idea of sharing the space with people who like Dynasty Warriors.
Line 'em up.

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident

#13 Post by Setokaiva »

We're still deciding on the site template. They had a more traditional dark-blue skin before I'm trying to get them to go back to. Also the forums are there on the site just click the Forums button in the top left of the page. If you need a direct link here it is.
http://project-eq.com/forum

And no Yak you are not being asked to give up these forums, you are simply being asked to come sign up and be a part of our community as well. I'm not going to force you off your own forums or anything, that would be stupid. Just if you want to come be a part of things, we would greatly appreciate it.

Also jamn it's not just people who like Dynasty Warriors. If you don't want to share the space, fine, create your own section or just hang out with the EotA people. If the Dynasty Warriors people feel the same way they'll leave you alone.
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#14 Post by Discombobulator »

Oh and if hosting bots is a problem, I'll do it for you. Or if you don't trust me, get the cheapest VPS from BuyVM and host it yourselves.
I'm this forum's MVP.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by DarnYak »

Setokaiva wrote:Also the forums are there on the site just click the Forums button in the top left of the page. If you need a direct link here it is.
http://project-eq.com/forum
There's no forums. Just an empy box. Log out and look at it as a guest.

DarnYak

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#16 Post by Discombobulator »

Also Setokaiva please tell those guys to remove that shoutbox, it's incredibly annoying to have to scroll down on every pageload and there doesn't appear to be any way for a regular user to hide the (huge) shoutbox.

(Oh and do take this as constructive criticism given with the best intentions.)
I'm this forum's MVP.

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident

#17 Post by Setokaiva »

Ah, you're right... I guess you do need to make an account to be able to see the forums and such. Thanks for pointing that out.

(also Discombobulator its a forums, you have to scroll up and down no matter what, so I don't think it's that big of a deal but your criticism is noted.)

EDIT: The first test EotA game was successfully hosted on our bots earlier tonight, it quickly filled to full house. People voted for Gloomreap Mire and most of them left and it ended up being 4v1 later so it was a bit of a poor first impression, although Akechi was impressed, said he'd like very much to host it on bots.
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#18 Post by Sparda963 »

Hosting the game on bots has never been a question of having access to bots, but a stable internet connection, and a stable admin willing to keep it updated. I did that for quite a while, and if there was a real use of it, I would be willing to do it again.

The real issues became people wanting to play AP or standard games, as you cant vote once the game starts, it has to be configured in the lobby. The other issue was with blizzard being pretty brutal on bot hosting about the time i gave up doing it, as you had to update the bot almost daily for it to connect and get past warden. Might not sound like a big deal but it wears on ya after a while.

That being said, i was never much of a fan of the AP games because it seriously broke the balance of the heroes and just didnt make the game feel the same.
It's not rape if you yell surprise!

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by DarnYak »

Sparda963 wrote:The real issues became people wanting to play AP or standard games, as you cant vote once the game starts, it has to be configured in the lobby.
A bit off topic, but I never did figure out if it's better or worse the way it is. The theory behind the way I did it was so you could see the mode before you joined the game, and there's no dedicated host slot.

DarnYak

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#20 Post by Sparda963 »

true, but in order to host both style of games you pretty much had to host 2 bots, and that started to create stability issues. lot of people would only play AP games, lot would only play standard games, even more just didnt give a shit what mode it was and played both.
It's not rape if you yell surprise!