Dwarf Fortress

A place to talk about non-EotA-related topics.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dwarf Fortress

#1 Post by DarnYak »

How many players do we have here? Considering starting a bloodline game for eota players (http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/inde ... line_Games).

If you don't want to read that, the basic idea is a game is started, one person plays for a specified time (probably 1 season), then saves it and passes it to someone else. Preferably a log/diary will be written to accompany it.

Please reply if you're interested.

DarnYak

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#2 Post by Hammel »

I'd love to do it, but:

a) Don't have time
b) Haven't played for some time (3 weeks)
c) I suck at it, so I would ruin the game...

Still, I'd like to see how it works and all the history...

-Ham

genrap993
Visitor
Visitor

#3 Post by genrap993 »

I would try this out, but i still some pratice at it, playing though myy first winter right now

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Don't need experts playing, just enough to get basic tasks done. Hell you dont even need to know how to survive the first winter, as the first 2 people will probably get that up and running ahead of time. Beyond that novice players will be more interesting for players that follow ;P

So far I have myself, siege, shortling..wasn't clear if genrap wanted in or not. If we get 6 i'm going to start it =p

DarnYak

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

I haven't played Dwarf Fortress, but I might be willing to try it.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by DarnYak »

SeasonsOfLove wrote:I haven't played Dwarf Fortress, but I might be willing to try it.
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Main_Page would be your starting point for all sorts of information then. Its fun once you're able to understand the ascii graphics. Get a crappy fortress or two going beforehand is all I would ask so you get the basic gameplay down.

And i'll add: If something short of catastrophic flooding goes horribly wrong, we'll just pass it down to the next person to use reclaim mode on it.

DarnYak

BustroQuick
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: googlypoo

#7 Post by BustroQuick »

Just started playing Fortress, the graphics confuse me >>

Reborn

Ion
Communist

#8 Post by Ion »

<3siege.

I'll try and learn.
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

Ion wrote:I'll try and learn.
That mean you're in? I still need a responce from gen too.

Anyway, if so then that's 6 players. My next step is to request everyone pick one dwarf's skills (ie strong miner, or medium woodcutter/carpanter, etc.) and I'll try to fit them all together and get started. i'm picking last to fit any requirements.

Current list (to be updated:

Shortling - (Waiting)
Siege Lord - Mason/Engraver
Reborn - ???
Ion(?) - ???
gen - Miner or Lumberjack
BGB - Grower/Cook
Me - Last

DarnYak
Last edited by DarnYak on October 4th, 2006, 6:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

genrap993
Visitor
Visitor

#10 Post by genrap993 »

im in

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by Hammel »

Can you post the games here? Will be interesting to watch how the Fortress grows...

-Ham

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#12 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

I'm in. I'm trying to figure a little bit out first, but I should be able to get half-decent. I hope.

Ocean.dll
Regular
Regular

#13 Post by Ocean.dll »

I'll give it a shot.
"RAWRR" -closing lines of Big Trouble in Little China

BustroQuick

#14 Post by BustroQuick »

Guess I'll try, don't expect much from me :D

Reborn

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#15 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

Yak:

Grower and Cook for my guy

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by DarnYak »

Hammel wrote:Can you post the games here? Will be interesting to watch how the Fortress grows...
Planning to.

For everyone that just posted "I'm in"...you could have included your dwarf type =P I'm waiting on that to get started.

DarnYak

Ocean.dll
Regular
Regular

#17 Post by Ocean.dll »

Umm... This is extremely confusing. I'm still trying to learn how to play. I'm not sure if I should play or not.

If you're still going to put me in... I'll be a carpenter and/or bowyer.

Siege_Lord
Wanderer
Wanderer

#18 Post by Siege_Lord »

Mason/engraver for me please.

Ocean.dll
Regular
Regular

#19 Post by Ocean.dll »

Ugh, I give up trying to figure this out =P

Text as graphics = one confused Ocean

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#20 Post by Dekar »

I wanna be an ( elephant ) hunter :lol: ( immigrant is good enough )

Maybe i will take part in playing, too, but i dont know if i will be in a mood to play it in the next time, so it would just be on an irregulary base ( but i dont think you make a strict player order anyway? ).
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

genrap993
Visitor
Visitor

#21 Post by genrap993 »

Ill be a miner or a lumberjack

Tuv
Wanderer
Wanderer

#22 Post by Tuv »

im in too.... ill get back to ya later on details... gonna try to get som practice in

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#23 Post by Hammel »

That game seriously hates me...

Ever had 11 immigrants before the 2nd winter (the one you start in is the first to me)? Usually they arrive in spring after... >_< and my food is running low (~130 including drinks...)

-Ham#

EDIT: Ohh, and my miner is on break so he cannot even make space for a fishery.
EDIT 2#: GREAT, and now my farms dont let me plant anymore Plump Helmets... I am amazed.

EDIT 3#: Survived winter with constant food amount... god bless the kitchen ^^. New Spring, Plump helmets work again... Had to increase farming area for my 19 freakin dwarfs... why not 20? Then I would get a sheriff, --> less danger through eventually tantruming dwarfs.

EDIT 4#: 16 new lil dwarfs... what to do with them all? Most seem to have a profession, but I fear they will mainly be haulers and farmers... my Extremely tough, very agile, strong miner just kicks the ass out of the walls, so I dont need another freakin miner... and 2 Jewelers? WTH, I dont need ONE... Best of all: 2 new craftsdwarfes... omg? The 3 I already have produced enough goods for 2 years and mainly haul stones out of the bedrooms... ~~

EDIT 5#: My first human caravan... I had so many goods, I simply bought everything of it... and still I've got stuff left. Bet I wont need so much food next winter... Oo I've got liek 350 units of food, no drinks, and the caravan got... 7.5. PAGES of my goods... I am looking forward to next year... maybe the caravan will increase in size? ^^

EDIT 6#: OMG... A BABY? WTF... These dwarfs come to action really quickly... whatever... 33.63 inhabitants (33 adults, 2 kids=2*0,3 and the baby >_< = 0,03).... and still no Sherriff.... I even got his rooms ready, smoothed and nearly detailed... -.-

EDIT 7#: Autumn now... dwarven caravan arrived, bought any food and leather I could find... still, my depot is full of rock crowns, rings, scepters, ANYTHING... and the quality is good enough to buy the rest... maybe I should just do it for fun? Well, w/e... atm I wonder whether there will be more immigrants before winter... I will pass on past the river now, might be helpful to have some more soldiers... and farmers of course ^^ and maybe a cook or 2... just in case...

EDIT 8#: My carpenter was in a strange mood and created a legendaty... armor stand? With an own name? The mood must have been really strange... apart from that: HEY, NEW IMIGRANTS... a wonder ^^. No more miners, my luck,... just 4 trappers Oo wtf... well, 2 new marksdwarfes to go, just what I needed ^^.

EDIT 9#: Comp crashed, gg for at LEAST the last year... I told you, the game hates me...

EDIT 10#: Alright, I am back on the track... doing shit a bit faster now, I could go past the river now... well, maybe I should finish the rooms for my lil dwarfes first... to make them happy. Still no Sheriff...

Maybe I should write a diary?

Psiblade94122
Visitor
Visitor

#24 Post by Psiblade94122 »

arg... i tried playing it and i had no idea wtf was going on... i understand the lines being rivers (seeing that my slow comp generated those lines after seeing "river initializeing" when i tried to generate a map) but i had no idea wtf where the other things... well if someone could teach me wtf was wtf i would understand it... and yes accII as game viual = ocean of confusion and chaos!! daryak plz enlighten me... how do i play this thing T.T and if wer gona share world dont we have to play on 1 save file (one person is done with his/her part and posts it here for the next person to pick it up) so thats gona take a wile...
On request of Tehwootz, i have taken down my pictures. (and for some reason i cant post -_-)

BustroQuick

#25 Post by BustroQuick »

Take me off the list, I've lost interest in the game completely.

Reborn