Looking Foward

A place to talk about general WC3 and EotA related stuff.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looking Foward

#1 Post by DarnYak »

This probably won't be much a suprise, but I think its time to make it more official.

I'm not currently planning to release further versions of EotA: Twilight (or any other WC3 maps). While there are many things I wanted to do, I had neither the time nor the motivation to do any significant work during the last 6 months. I regret not being able to re-impliment upgrades, not being able to finish the Kedge revamp, not making Candleburg and Gloomreap fun maps, not adding a LOT of heroes I was looking foward to. But... I think it's the appropriate time to move on.

The obvious factor behind this is Starcraft 2 going into beta (which I've held to be the ending point of EotA for a long time), and its likely release this summer. I currently have every intention to take up map making there (hopefully I'll have time). Don't expect a remake or EotA 2 (UNLESS by some miracle they import all the WC3 unit models just for mapmakers to work with). Don't even expect an AoS at first. I'm more likely to start out with something easier to learn the new editor - most likely something akin to EotA: Exodus or even a completed EotA: Maze. After that, we'll see..

As for EotA: Twilight, I'm not necessarilly opposed to someone else taking it over, but history has shown me it's a giant mess that only I seem to be able to understand. I might even do one final bugfix version if someone is motivated enough to make a comprehensive post. I may even get bored someday and add stuff. I just have no current plans for it.

Special thanks to Sparda for running the EotA bot for so long, Emu for hosting the forums, and Perhaps for HostEm. Also thanks to people that provided helpful thoughts on balance and such (too many to remember so I'll only name Mills). I'll still be reading forums daily, and will probably restructure the forums at some point in the future to address changes.

DarnYak

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

Re: Looking Foward

#2 Post by Discombobulator »

Update Exodus a bit instead.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#3 Post by Dekar »

The news that you want to create SC2 maps makes up for no new EotA releases. :)
I just hope you do actually find the time for mapping.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#4 Post by jamn455 »

Well this was a surprise, and with all of the amazing amounts of activity in the channel I never thought this post would come.

P.S. - Yak, you can unlock my avatar now.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#5 Post by Tehw00tz »

We should play Popkart to celebrate sometime.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo

#6 Post by GeneralFunk »

Yak's all like, "I'm not a fucking programmer god dammit! I'm studying to become a marine biologist."

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by mianmian »

Hope to see something in SC2. Hopefully we can still use the forum until we set up another Eota clan (unless people are opposed?).

Another Exo would be awesome, imagine all the crazy things that could be done with this editor :D
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Mills
Addict
Addict

#8 Post by Mills »

Go for HoN over SC2 in my opinion.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Battle.net name: Dekar

#9 Post by Dekar »

Just imagine the possibilities for nuke bats! Real virtual nukes!
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by DarnYak »

Mills wrote:Go for HoN over SC2 in my opinion.
Is their editor even out yet? I haven't herad

DarnYak

Mills
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by Mills »

Not yet, the editor should be coming out shortly after the game does (which should be in the fall probably), but going to have to wait a bit longer after that for the developement kit.

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo

#12 Post by GeneralFunk »

People on TheHelper are trying out the code for galaxy. Using a Galaxy Parser

Based on what they played with, it looks nice... It may not have OOP, but it looks like you can practically do anything you can do in CP. Structs, TypeDef, Pointers, includes, and sexy sexy assignment opperators (i.e., ++, --, +=, -=), and it has % operator. Finally going to be able to pass a goddamn array.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#13 Post by Reaper »

What do miniskirts and hard disks have in common?

Access time.
[Reaper]

Luftwaffles
Communist
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#14 Post by Luftwaffles »

Try both if the reviews are good, find one you like and do your shit.

I've been playing the cracked SC2 and it's dope. You could totally make Aliens proper (and ban Wootz from ever using the Alien 'cause he's so boring). But yeah, this is sad but good at the same time. Really looking forward to seeing you do some real crazy shit soon :D.
- Luftwaffles

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#15 Post by Strychnyne »

Here's hoping the DotA fans move to HoN. That'll give you time to get your bearings in the game. But if DotA: Space comes out I expect your in-depth answer to their silly loot mechanics post haste.

After seeing what a powerful tool they've built us at BlizzCon I can only wait with bated breath for the mod'ing minds to sink their teeth into it. All the amazing maps created thus far in editors have been accidental, amazing recombinations of what the creators themselves worked with. But this new tool has been designed with the post-production creator in mind, knowing what can come from their community, and embracing it. Oh boy...

Glad to hear you're not simply walking away, I'll definitely follow your future exploits closely. So much good has come out of these maps for me. See you on the other side.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by DarnYak »

Btw, I going to stop keeping EotA bot up unless there's significant request for it, not many people use it these days. I'm assuming HostEm is equally unused, but Perhaps is free to keep it running for however long he feels like (although, on the off chance a new version does come out I would probably want a host bot for a while).

As for HoN, I hadn't realized the game was still in beta (I should probaby try it at some point). Who knows, I may develop for both.

DarnYak

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#17 Post by Kalrithus »

I should still have a couple invites for HoN if you need one Yak. Just let me know

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#18 Post by Reaper »

I would like to obtain my code from Eota
[Reaper]

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by DarnYak »

I'll leave EotA bot up untill the end of the month so anyone can grab their codes.

If I do a bugfix version of EotA I'll just strip out codes for that matter.

DarnYak

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#20 Post by aegir ravenking »

Would a bribe improve the odds of another version?
Formerly known as kevin.mentor.
Darlocks and Psilons forever!

Casval
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Casval

#21 Post by Casval »

Regarding HoN vs SC2

The HoN editor isn't released, and there's not many public details about it. However, it will largely be a simple MAP editor, not a full-featured "campaign" editor as you will find with Blizzard games. That's the downside.

On the upside, there will be a full SDK released, meaning you will have more or less full control of the game engine. You could make an FPS with the engine if you wanted to (in fact, there already is one... Savage 2). Obviously that will require a lot more effort and much more programming involved though. It's too early to tell, but I'm going to be pushing for as much 3rd party support from S2 as I can. The entire team at S2 is very community-oriented.

I've been setting up a group to create a game like Bloodline Champions within the HoN engine myself.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#22 Post by Soulbourne »

*Wanders in* I have an idea *Wanders out to get blackmail ready and wondering what the chances on Yak checks the site anymore*
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

PredatoryKnight
Wanderer
Wanderer
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: PredatoryKnight

#23 Post by PredatoryKnight »

well... been a long time since I been here or played the game, just re-downloaded the most recent version. Gonna get some friends together and make em play it with me. And wanted to say, thanks for making EotA Twilight. Anyone know how far back in the blizzard patches I have to go before it works?

TidbiT)
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: Tidbit)

#24 Post by TidbiT) »

I'd be up to, /w me :-)

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#25 Post by Reaper »

last time I played the current version of wc3 worked fine for the latest release.
[Reaper]