Stupid question for Euros

A place to talk about non-EotA-related topics.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stupid question for Euros

#1 Post by DarnYak »

As you probably know, in America we (in PC terms) refer to blacks as African Americans, Asians as Asian Americans, etc. Europeans are just european or white (never heard European American)

Do euros do the same thing or something similar at all? Hell, what about canada?

(This was prompted by me remembering a news story where the reporter kept refering to people in Africa as African American...where they had nothing to do with america and were just African)

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: Stupid question for Euros

#2 Post by Dekar »

Strongly pigmented for black people :roll:
Duden wrote:Die Bezeichnungen Neger, Negerin sollten im öffentlichen Sprachgebrauch nicht mehr verwendet werden, da sie zunehmend als Diskriminierung empfunden werden. Mögliche Ausweichbezeichnungen sind Schwarzer, Schwarze, Farbiger, Farbige oder Schwarzafrikaner, Schwarzafrikanerin, Schwarzamerikaner, Schwarzamerikanerin. In Deutschland lebende Schwarze haben als Eigenbezeichnung Afrodeutscher, Afrodeutsche vorgeschlagen.
The Duden, a german dictionary, recommands to avoid the word Negro ("Neger") and to use Black, Colored or Black African. German africans can be called Afrogerman.

I dont know what exactly you want to hear, but I can say that we phase out insulting names or these with a bad connotation.
This also affects Sinti/Roma, who are now refered to by the names they give themselves.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#3 Post by Discombobulator »

The Serbian word for blacks literally means blacks, and it's both politically correct and used by everyone. We barely have any blacks here, so there hasn't been any reason for people to form negative opinions about them.

However, we do have a problem with Gypsies. The usual word, used by everyone until around 25 years ago is Cigani (like Zigeuner in German). In the last 25 years, there has been a campaign to get people to use the more politically correct word Roma. The irony is that the vast majority of Gypsies in Serbia refer to themselves as Cigani and see no problem with that word, which doesn't have derogatory or negative connotations.

Imagine how dumb it would be if blacks didn't mind being called niggers, but liberal activist retards wanted to ban the word.

There's also the matter of Albanians. We used to call them Šiptari, which is how they call themselves in Albanian. The word means "Sons of the Eagle", or something like that, in Albanian. However, Albanians consider being called Šiptari by Serbs derogatory, so we don't really use that word anymore. It's not the word's fault that Serbs only mention Albanians in a bad context and with negative emotions.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Lunargent
Regular
Regular
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Lunargent

#4 Post by Lunargent »

"Caucasianally Challenged"?

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Battle.net name: Dekar

#5 Post by Dekar »

Sons of the Eagle, awesome!
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by Strychnyne »

Nah, people get annoyed when you call them anything but Canadian. Everyone here is a Canadian, with roots followed shortly.

Nukunuku
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: Nukunuku

#7 Post by Nukunuku »

In sweden, we tend to just call people Swedish.

If they have parents or so from another country (for example from Iran) then we just call 'em swedish or (more used before) second-generation immigrants.

As of anyone of African descent, there isn't really any politically correct word to use. "Dark" (trans: Mörk) was slightly more acceptable than "black" (svart) but bleh, not politically correct enough.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

I dont really have anything to add to this thread since its just a requestion information thread. But I will say props to countries that stick with the nationality label only. Labeling doesn't do anything but give reason to divide people and pit them against each other. Pretty disgusting, really.

Unless they're communists anyway. Label away.

DarnYak

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#9 Post by GeneralFunk »

Well skin color is fact, and simplifies descriptions... If there's a room of white people that has only one black person... I'm going to say "the black guy," if there's a room full of black people that has only white person, I'm going to say "the wigger." If there's a room with and equal amount of white and black people, and there's a guy with a green afro, I'm going to sayd "the dipshit." I've heard people complain about police over their radios use "black male" in their description... And one of my biggest complaint is black people wearing all dark/black clothing at night walking along the road... It's not racist, it's fucking common sense... I'm not going to walk around in all white clothing in a snowy fucking winter, it's just a fact of life. -_-

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#10 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

I consider "African American" to be assumptive

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... upid_ideas

having that opinion because I read a blog makes me feel stupid
I miss EotA :(