Religion: The best of the best of the best sir!

A place to talk about non-EotA-related topics.

Question in body

Christianity
17%
Judaism
8%
Islamic
17%
Hinduism
No votes
Buddhism
42%
Wicca
17%

Total votes: 12

Ford Prefect
Resident
Resident
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Keilan

Re: Religion: The best of the best of the best sir!

#76 Post by Ford Prefect »

The post before this nonsense still stands uncontested.
Remember to observe Towel Day on May 25th.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#77 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

No it doesn't I told you I am basically done here. We are just arguing circular reasoning.

Also, you speak about believing evolution to be factual, yet provide me with zero facts. So...

And over the years, evolution has undergone some critical changes in thinking, people are starting to question just how much "truth" is in that theory, and how much of it is mere speculation. For instance, I attended a college about a year ago where the biology professor was still teaching the myth that the folds of skin a baby acquires while in the womb were "gills" thus proving the existence of evolution. I happened to know, however, that those "gills"--were indeed, folds of skin, and that this myth had been proven wrong for nearly a hundred years now, yet he is still teaching it as science, interesting. Again, just some examples.

America!

Ford Prefect
Resident
Resident

#78 Post by Ford Prefect »

I just realized that my entire post was about evolution, so I will make a new thread.

aegir ravenking
Resident
Resident

#79 Post by aegir ravenking »

Ok, back to the subject.

I voted on Wicca a while back, but it got modded(an official member now?)I guess do to being a response to DN.

Anyway reason being I haven't heard of or came across anything really being done by them.

For the "big three" you have wars, purges, and opression beyond measure.

Buddhism, well there is a reason the Dalai Lama wants his country back, he wants his slaves/power back. Not that that marks Buddhism as very evil, but for people "seeking enlightenment" to want him back is scary.

Hindu, the only thing that comes right to mind was the whole Gandhi revolution thing, nothing to bad. I just don't like how no one talks about his history with kids. Or how the country got to be owned by England the first place(I could be wrong on that point, but I think it was India that was basically sold by there leaders).
Formerly known as kevin.mentor.
Darlocks and Psilons forever!

Storamin
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#80 Post by Storamin »

Ford Prefect wrote:Well, thanks for coming by and sharing your ignorance with us.
lemme grab my bong...

at the end of the day, religion is a mass control technique abused by humans for over 2,000 years. no matter what flavor it comes in, it speaks of the same thing.

/thread

Ford Prefect
Resident
Resident

#81 Post by Ford Prefect »

Over 2,000? Aren't you cutting that a bit short?

To Aegir: I thought the same about Hinduism, but Luft gave quite a few examples earlier in the thread of their brutality.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict

#82 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

Let's not forget the 40 some million people murdered under Stalin. An Atheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Stalin

America!

Waki_Miko
Visitor
Visitor

#83 Post by Waki_Miko »

Dark_Nemesis wrote:Let's not forget the 40 some million people murdered under Stalin. An Atheist.
Are you implying that Stalin had "40 some million people" murdered because he was an Atheist?

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict

#84 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

A person's faith is what drives them and spearheads their actions. So yes, in a sense.

America!

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#85 Post by GeneralFunk »

WHAT A MAN?!?!
A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF BULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SHIT!

Ford Prefect
Resident
Resident

#86 Post by Ford Prefect »

Dark_Nemesis wrote:A person's faith is what drives them and spearheads their actions. So yes, in a sense.
His faith? His faith in what? Did he sacrifice 40 million people to his non-existent god? Perhaps it was written in his non-existent holy book that certain people should die? Maybe you believe that all atheists and agnostics, due to their lack of faith, have nothing to keep them from wantonly raping and murdering everyone they meet?
I have no faith... will I murder 40 million people, even though it goes against my moral code?
A person's principles guide them, religion only provides an excuse. Well, that's how things work in my life. Perhaps if you had no religion, you would go about murdering people because you have no internal moral compass to guide you, only the external one religion provides. If you think otherwise, then you should also rethink your position on Stalin.
While we're not forgetting things atheists did, let's not forget that Nikita Khrushchev, who followed Stalin, denounced his legacy and began De-Stalinization.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#87 Post by Discombobulator »

I support what Stalin did 100%.

You Westerneres don't understand Eastern philosophy and thier way of thinking. Western philosophy is always trying to justify actions, always explaining to the losers that there was no other way but to make them lose. Eastern philosophy, luckily, has no such problems.

Example: America has 10 million people that are really creating trouble for the entire society. Imagine that they're really bad people. Pedophiles, or drug dealers, or murderers, or blacks, it doesn't matter. What gets done about them? Nothing, because any course of action is debated to no end, and everything that could actually do something can't be justified to every dumb hick (think DarkNemesis, only times a million). America rushes to its impending death. (hint, true story)

Counterexamples: Russia has 10 million people that are really creating trouble for the entire society. They get deported to camps or killed. Russian society enters golden age.

China has 100 million people that are really creating trouble for the entire society. They get deported to camps or killed. China enters golden age.

As you can see, sometimes not every action should be justified to the losers.

Note that I'm talking about actions regarding citizens of said countries. Molesting citizens that are not your own is not OK.

So yeah, America, bomb your own people for a change.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Ford Prefect
Resident
Resident

#88 Post by Ford Prefect »

I'd like to point out that Americans are having ever less say over what America does. That, and intelligent Americans don't make up the majority of decision makers/voters. Though, I wonder if that's any different in any other country.

P.S. This post had nothing to do with religion, do not misconstrue it as such.
Discombobulator wrote: Example: America has 10 million people that are really creating trouble for the entire society. Imagine that they're really bad people. Pedophiles, or drug dealers, or murderers, or blacks, it doesn't matter.
BLACKS?
Last edited by Ford Prefect on August 21st, 2009, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#89 Post by Discombobulator »

Ford Prefect wrote:I'd like to point out that Americans are having ever less say over what America does. That, and intelligent Americans don't make up the majority of decision makers/voters. Though, I wonder if that's any different in any other country.

P.S. This post had nothing to do with religion, do not misconstrue it as such.

What you're describing happens in pretty much every other country. My point was that Eastern leaders do what has to be done, instead of endlessly explaining themselves to their people.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#90 Post by Dekar »

Is that the point where I post about Muhammad?
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired

#91 Post by Discombobulator »

Dekar wrote:Is that the point where I post about Muhammad?
He almost made it. Bad luck, all the way.
I'm this forum's MVP.