Split tower cores generation from maps

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
DiscombobuIator
Visitor
Visitor

Split tower cores generation from maps

#1 Post by DiscombobuIator »

What the title says.

After the map selection screen, there would be a mode selection screen with something like

Moontears
Obelisks
Gloomite
None
(whatever Candle's system gets changed to)
(potential new mode)
(potential fun mode)

So you could play with moontears on Stormwail, gloomite on Kedge and obelisks on Gloomreap (again).

Of course, each of those modes could be combined with -ap, -ar, and/or -capture.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Re: Split tower cores generation from maps

#2 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

While your idea seems interesting, I think that is what makes the various maps special and unique. Neutral thus far.

As for Candleburg....what if you had several buildings (farms?) that the team had to hold, and while they held their team would be awarded x energy until the other team captures...so on and so on....

In that regard, it would be similar to the system used in Kedges with the towers (big ones).

Just an random thought, flame if you want.

America!

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#3 Post by CryptLord1234 »

I dunno, I kinda agree with DarkNemesis here. I don't really see why maps should have it. Imagine Moontears on Stormwail or Gloomreap: First off, on Gloomreap, where would they spawn? There are two 'central' lanes. As for Stormwail, the central posts are already gold mine outposts, so they'd be somewhat important, and moontears would make it ridiculously so. Candle, Moontears don't seem to have any influence one way or the other. There's only one lane, one big fight.

As for Obelisks on maps other than Stormwail, I don't think there's a great way to do so on the current incarnation of Candleburg, although it may encourage flanking maneuvers, and Kedge, well, I'd be curious to see how the whole Obelisk / cappable towers thing works out, although the second lane could use a little less influence than it currently has.

Putting Gloomite into non-Gloomreap maps would be odd as well, IMO: Stormwail, fliers would be pretty godly: At the cost of experience, you severely slow down the enemy's capability to get tower cores. Given the current strength of fliers, IDK if that's a good idea. Kedge's Landing, again, would make me curious to see how the whole Gloomite/cappable towers would work, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it turned into Moontear Kedge's Landing, only focusing on controlling the LEFT lane this time. Candleburg + Gloomite? If there's enough room for it, I suppose. Doesn't strike me as changing much from the original plan, though.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

DiscombobuIator
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by DiscombobuIator »

CryptLord1234 wrote:I dunno, I kinda agree with DarkNemesis here. I don't really see why maps should have it. Imagine Moontears on Stormwail or Gloomreap: First off, on Gloomreap, where would they spawn? There are two 'central' lanes. As for Stormwail, the central posts are already gold mine outposts, so they'd be somewhat important, and moontears would make it ridiculously so. Candle, Moontears don't seem to have any influence one way or the other. There's only one lane, one big fight.

As for Obelisks on maps other than Stormwail, I don't think there's a great way to do so on the current incarnation of Candleburg, although it may encourage flanking maneuvers, and Kedge, well, I'd be curious to see how the whole Obelisk / cappable towers thing works out, although the second lane could use a little less influence than it currently has.

Putting Gloomite into non-Gloomreap maps would be odd as well, IMO: Stormwail, fliers would be pretty godly: At the cost of experience, you severely slow down the enemy's capability to get tower cores. Given the current strength of fliers, IDK if that's a good idea. Kedge's Landing, again, would make me curious to see how the whole Gloomite/cappable towers would work, and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it turned into Moontear Kedge's Landing, only focusing on controlling the LEFT lane this time. Candleburg + Gloomite? If there's enough room for it, I suppose. Doesn't strike me as changing much from the original plan, though.
In other words, all your negative points could be handled by 15-30 minutes of changes in the map editor.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#5 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

I think you're confusing "negative" with "viable".

And why change it? What's wrong with the current setup. Looking at it again, this is a bad idea.

America!

DiscombobuIator
Visitor
Visitor

#6 Post by DiscombobuIator »

Dark_Nemesis wrote:I think you're confusing "negative" with "viable".

And why change it? What's wrong with the current setup. Looking at it again, this is a bad idea.
Yak has a history of preferring to put in more features instead of polishing the existing ones. I'm just lobbying for some cool new features.

To expand on the points from my previous post, Cryptlord is thinking inside a really small and opaque box. He says that capturable towers would gimp Kedge w/ gloomite. Well then, they could be removed entirely or balanced in any of over 9000 possible ways. Moontears making the mid lane of Stormwail too strong? Add gold mines or capturable towers to the other lanes. Or something new and cool. Or make the moontears spawn in a random lane.

As I've said, it would take half an hour to balance (in Yak's terms, anyway) the system I'm proposing.

And if you're opposing this because the maps wouldn't be "unique" anymore, you really need to have your head checked. I'm a med student, I'm qualified to tell you that.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Well, if you're going to change all the maps anyway, I suppose it'd work. But AS IT IS, which I believe I said more than once, there would be a lot of problems. And if it could be balanced in one of '9000' ways and still keep the maps somewhat unique, beyond # of lanes, I'd love to hear one of the ways to balance it.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

Interesting idea, don't know when and if it would get added though.

DarnYak