Spell Damage Display System

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.

What to do with the SDDS?

Change to the old version (-s)
23%
Show damage dealt to a single on cast (-s value)
46%
Leave it the way it is
23%
I don't mind
8%

Total votes: 13

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

Spell Damage Display System

#1 Post by Hammel »

To me, the Spell Damage Display System (SDDS) sucks. It shows the amount of damage dealt to all units, not letting you know how much you dealt to a single unit. Apart from that it bases on the amount of life a unit lost, and when something is under Rune Shell, you "deal no damage".

I say: Display the number -s used to show. Then you know how much damage you deal to a single unit. You still don't know about maximum damage (AoO, Degen), but that doesn't matter so much in my opinion.

-Ham

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#2 Post by Shadow.M4L »

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#3 Post by Hammel »

Could you please comment why you vote for the option you vote? I see one for "leave it the way it is" and no post to explain why.

-Ham

de-cross
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by de-cross »

Simply (my vote btw)
because I couldn't care less =/

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by mianmian »

I like the systeme, but the AoE damage isnt a good solution. Yak said hes going to fix all the 0 damage things, I talked to him about it :p

For the AoE, spamming 50000 numbers is dumb, but we dont need/care about our total AoE damage, its not relevant information.
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

AedharinSadai
Visitor
Visitor

#6 Post by AedharinSadai »

shit... missvoted well my vote gets from #1 to #2 because the AoE dmg showing just sucks but its okay for some nukes like AoO or Lunge

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by DarnYak »

mianmian wrote:I like the systeme, but the AoE damage isnt a good solution. Yak said hes going to fix all the 0 damage things, I talked to him about it :p

For the AoE, spamming 50000 numbers is dumb, but we dont need/care about our total AoE damage, its not relevant information.
My logic behind doing AoE damage as is was that higher numbers would (obviously) indicate more units hit. This isn't as important for somespells where its obvoius, but for line spells where its not soobvoius what you're hitting or not I thought it might be enjoyed more.

And I'm certain some people out there get a kick out of seeing high as hell numbers. ;P

DarnYak

Ocean.dll
Regular
Regular

#8 Post by Ocean.dll »

Personally, I find -s boring as hell. I think I know most of the heroes well enough to know generally how much damage they should be doing regardless if we didn't have high flying numbers or -s. I really didn't like the dsiplaying damage system when Yak was first talking about it, but now I really like it. I don't mind seeing that my AoE did 5000 damage to ten units actually. To me that is just telling me that I hit a bunch of people. And when you're using AoE skills, isn't that kind of the point? Sure, the damage is nice, but the point is to hit a lot of units at once, not be a single target nuke.
"RAWRR" -closing lines of Big Trouble in Little China

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

#9 Post by Elle »

Ocean.dll wrote:Personally, I find -s boring as hell. I think I know most of the heroes well enough to know generally how much damage they should be doing regardless if we didn't have high flying numbers or -s. I really didn't like the dsiplaying damage system when Yak was first talking about it, but now I really like it. I don't mind seeing that my AoE did 5000 damage to ten units actually. To me that is just telling me that I hit a bunch of people. And when you're using AoE skills, isn't that kind of the point? Sure, the damage is nice, but the point is to hit a lot of units at once, not be a single target nuke.
I somehow agree. :)

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#10 Post by Hammel »

Cross, when you don't care, go for that option ;).

And when you want to know how many units you hit, can't you display another string saying "*amount of targets* units/targets hit" or something?

Although the giant numbers may be nice, I also want to know how much one units is dealt so I can tell whether I own a hero with the spell or not (I can guess how much it would deal). -s was great for that, but I also like the new SDDS better, so the -s value would be nice, +amount of targets hit for AoE spells (why do I write EotA instead of AoE?).

Forgot something, I will edit it in when I remember it.

-Ham

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

Hammel wrote:Although the giant numbers may be nice, I also want to know how much one units is dealt so I can tell whether I own a hero with the spell or not (I can guess how much it would deal). -s was great for that, but I also like the new SDDS better, so the -s value would be nice, +amount of targets hit for AoE spells (why do I write EotA instead of AoE?).
You should notice that whenever an aoe hits a hero, they get their own number that is not included in the total. Multiple heroes hit all get their own numbers becuase of various levels of magic resistance.

DarnYak

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#12 Post by Hammel »

Oops ^^ I thought it was some kind of bonus damage by talents (e.g. DW Focus). Well, thanks then. Maybe it is even better than -s ^^. Umm... could you erase the - when you deal damage? That confuses me, dealing -10k damage Oo.

-Ham

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by DarnYak »

Hammel wrote:Umm... could you erase the - when you deal damage? That confuses me, dealing -10k damage Oo.
Heal spells show a +, so something needs to make them clearly different (and color wont work)

DarnYak

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

#14 Post by Elle »

Why not color code them? Red being damage, green being healing or likewise..

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#15 Post by mianmian »

It already is color coded, by player, so people know who does what damage :P
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Konnar
Regular
Regular

#16 Post by Konnar »

It's awesome, keep it :)

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#17 Post by Hammel »

When you take damage by a spell, it should be clear enough ;). Apart from that you know the colors of your allies, so you can tell the difference that way. I just dislike the psychological value of using a damaging spell and seeing a negative number... but when you want to keep it this way, leave it.

-Ham

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#18 Post by Dekar »

Actually you can see it like:

Damage spells deal a positive amount of damage ( and are they main cause of numbers showing up ) so you can display them just like "xxxx".

Healing spells remove damage ( and are less common, so they get an additional sign ) and get a minues like "-xxxx".
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by DarnYak »

Dekar wrote:Actually you can see it like:

Damage spells deal a positive amount of damage ( and are they main cause of numbers showing up ) so you can display them just like "xxxx".

Healing spells remove damage ( and are less common, so they get an additional sign ) and get a minues like "-xxxx".
The oposite way makes more sense. Damage spells remove health (thus -xxxx) and heal spells add to health (thus +xxxx).

DarnYak

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#20 Post by Hammel »

You could also view a string over people's heads, saying XXXX for damage and Heal: XXXX for healing... apart from people noticing wether they get or lose hp.

-Ham

Furion
Resident
Resident

#21 Post by Furion »

just played test6 and the sdd looked good...