Moderator: Mills

Casval
Resident
Resident
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Casval

Unit collision size

#1 Post by Casval »

How come the unit collision size is so high? I'm used to playing DotA, I know, but it gets extremely frustrating on maps like Peak where there's bridges a-plenty and you get stuck behind a wave of ranged creeps who don't budge.

It makes for some interesting moments when units surround you, but most of the time I find unit surround just plain annoying.

Is this an intended gameplay thing?

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Unit collision size

#2 Post by DarnYak »

Unit sizes are actually considerablly smaller than their defaults, there's just a crapton of them. The sizes are as they are for some basic reasons such as chokepoints aren't as effective when units can all squeeze in anyway, and if too many cluster in too small of spots they're both too much of a danger, and too much of an easy target for aoe's.

There's one big exception to this, and that's the melee line. Footman and ghouls spawn in groups of 4, furblogs in groups of 3, and orcs in groups of 2. Their total power is roughly the same, so 2 footman/ghouls are about even with 1 grunt. The problem comes in if you allow 1 grunt to take up a size less then 2 footman, because it means more grunts can fit in a smaller space and beat the crap out of a smaller number of opponents faster, and it completely wrecks balance. Thus, furblogs and orcs have larger collision sizes to compensate (i don't think its double, but maybe 50% more for orcs)

DarnYak

Casval
Resident
Resident

#3 Post by Casval »

Any possibility to reduce the collision of ranged units further though? They're not really an integral part of a surround, but they do tend to block masses of melee on bridges.

Leek
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Leek

#4 Post by Leek »

I think that's a design feature. The bridges seem to take an intentionally long time to push, notice that obs are position close by? It's helpful because you can stall a counter-push and help the survive. On the reverse side, it lets the other team aoe down your push.

Casval
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by Casval »

Melee heroes have a huge disadvantage due to narrow lanes and unit collision sizes coupled with the large number of units. This makes for very conservative play, whether going PVP or just simply trying to pick off a creep for money. It also makes for a lot of frustration if you happen to be on the wrong side of that bridge.