Chaos Rider

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Chaos Rider

#1 Post by Dekar »

Because everyone is posting one these days.

Model: Chaos Kodo Beast with rider throwing axes (= as it is)
Race: Fel Orcs :shock:
Theme: Chaos, Disruption, Support

Innate: Fel Drums
Toggle

Keeps beating the drums faster and faster, to grant increasing boni to move and attackspeed to his allies.
At the same time the fel nature of the drums disturbes enemy units and randomly causes fear, stun and slow.

Increases MS by 1% and AS by 3% for every second since the skill was turned on, up to 10%/30% after 10 seconds.
Picks 3 random targets and debuffs it each second. Heroes have a high chance to resist these propably 80-90%.
Drains 2% max mana per second.

Talent: Presto - Increased speed gain and number of alignments.

Skill 1:Cascading Throw / Pinpoint:
Hero Target

Throws axes at the target. Every skill level adds one throw. Each throw deals damage based on AGI and has a chance to cause a special effect. The chance to cause an effect increases with each subsequent level.

Code: Select all

Throw/Effect:		Chance with skill lvl:
1 : Snare/Slow            30/40/50/60/70/80
2 : AS reduction          -/25/35/45/55/65
3 : Mana lose              -/-/50/60/70/80
4 : Stats reduce          -/-/-/40/50/60
5 : Extra Damage         -/-/-/-/30/40
6 : Stun                     -/-/-/-/-/25
So the first throw has a chance to slow, the second throw can reduce the AS, the third throw may deplete some mana ...

Talent: Increase chance to cause special effect by 5%, 2 levels

Effects could always trigger when target is stunned, throws are aborted if target moves out of range.

Skill 2: Leap of Fault
Point target 350-700 range away from the hero

The kodo startes to run towards the point and pushes all units in the path away with very little damage, then 200 units before the target point it jumps towards the target. When it lands, all units get thrown away like geyser and take damage based on STR, maybe dizzy debuff.

Skill 3: Kodo Ballet

Summons 5 little fel kodos which jump in an erratic pattern around the hero, dealing AoE damage on every jump. Lasts x seconds.

Ultimate: Gluttony
AoE Target

The kodo moves fast from enemy unit to enemy unit in the AoE without movement restrictions, similiar to Martyrs streak, but eats each unit as it is passing by. When it finds no more units in the target area, it moves between the AoE center and the casting location, facing the center, and releases a large poison cloud with the spell puke animation. The cloud has size and/or damage based on the units devoured and STR.
Cloud could damage buildings due to strong digestive stuff. Could also grant a bit of healing or increasing regeneration for each unit eaten.

The skill could be limited by either unit hp eaten with str cap or by making it a small AoE.

Talent: Additional cloud size increase per unit eaten
Last edited by Dekar on April 14th, 2009, 9:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Ion
Communist

Re: Chaos Rider

#2 Post by Ion »

Gluttony would be hilarious.
Ion.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#3 Post by Dekar »

I suppose so.

Furion
Resident
Resident

#4 Post by Furion »

Kodo Ballet !!!einszweizwölf

maybe it should summon a level dependant number of kodos without rider, that circle around the hero, doing something, trampling enemy units or whatever.
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#5 Post by Dekar »

Post edited and new skill added xD

Skill 3: Kodo Ballet

Summons 5 little fel kodos which jump in an erratic pattern around the hero, dealing AoE damage on every jump. Lasts x seconds.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#6 Post by Tehw00tz »

Dekar wrote: Skill 3: Kodo Ballet

Summons 5 little fel kodos which jump in an erratic pattern around the hero
I first read this as "jump in an errotic pattern around the hero"

lol
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#7 Post by Dekar »

If more people like it that way, sure why not.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#8 Post by Dekar »

Looking forward to see this hero in 1.13, as there is obviously not a single flaw that peole can point out. :D

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#9 Post by DarkNemesis »

Just because few post doesn't mean that it is a good concept.

My 2 cents:

Overall, I think its a good concept. The theme is very fitting too, with the Chaos Orc Drummer model, kodos to you (literally).

But some of the names and thought behind the abilities are erratic and random. Ballot? Pinpoint? Bodyslam? This isn't The Little Rascals computer game, its EotA, keep the names, concepts in tune with the current ones.

Your cascading throw for example, not a bad ability, I like it, but do you really need 6 different (and random) things to happen? Mana lose, reducing stats, snares, slows, its too much.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#10 Post by Dekar »

Names are the easiest thing to change and I think a native english speaker, unlike me, like Yak, will have better ideas for he names in the end anyway.
Names updated.

The concept if Pinpoint are targeted throws to certain body parts of the enemy, i.e. the first dual throwing axe throw is aimed at the feet, to immobilize the target as far as possible. The next throw this the arms to prevent it from attacking. Etc.
And tainted berserking bloodlusting orcs may have a certain affinity for going right into the brawl with a Leap of Fault.

Does every skill idea need to be Stormbolt? I dont think so. After all Pinpoint is still easier to use than AoO for a noob, because it has no special conditions and a tooltip like "Level 6: Adds an additional throw that can stun" is hardly too complicated.

And Kodo Ballet was just a random filler idea, but I like concept behind it.

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

#11 Post by Warskull »

Pinpoint is too random and bad random. Its the kind of random that may or may not score you a kill depending on if you get lucky with your stun and snare. The randomness is too influential and not really something you can adapt to.

Some Sirlin, but its a good explanation of randomness in games.
Although Clint said the setbacks the player experiences do not have to come from randomness, I think the ones he explained all did. This reminds me of the situation where designing a car to move with wheels is not necessarily the only way, but it's the best way we know to do it right now. Although randomness is often shunned in a competitive game, Clint is hitting on a concept that I have personally referred to as "good randomness vs. bad randomness." Bad randomness (in a competitive game) would be the Mario Party variety that is so strong that winner of the game is basically random. "Good randomness" in my book, is exactly the kind that creates the opportunity for the player to use improvisation.

A few of you are wondering how to classify the randomness of the tripping mechanic in Smash Bros. Brawl. Yeah, that's the bad kind. Rather than leading to improvisation, it just leads to you getting combod and dying or whatever. The best example I know of of the good kind of randomness in a fighting game is Guilty Gear's character Faust. He has a move where he can throw a random item (one from a list of a list of about 8). One is a bomb that blows up a few seconds later. Another is a mini toy version of Faust that floats down from above, controlling a lot of space. Another is a hammer that hits on the way up. Anyway, these items allow Faust to use a lot of improvisation to take advantage of whatever happens to be going on at the time.
Extra damage and stun aren't really something the players can do anything about or improvise. They are just too influential, and it becomes rolling the dice for a big hit.

In the Faust example there, none of the random events is a guaranteed hit. They force both players to react, but nothing is really set in stone.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#12 Post by Dekar »

Well, the skill can ofc be reduced to 3 lesser debuffs to comply also to the "too complicated" people, one every 2 levels and maybe all throws having a low chance to cause one of all unlocked debuffs. That should be more good random, no?

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#13 Post by DarkNemesis »

I had an idea. What if you had both units have separate hit points? In other words, the kodo would have is own set as well as the rider. I'm not sure to what purpose this would serve, maybe have an ability to combine the two for an ultimate tanking hero? But at the expense of reducing say agility or ms. I'll elaborate further on this later, when I can provide you with some viable concepts. Just a thought into the air...

I really like the idea behind this guy, we need him in EotA, the theme is too good for Fel Orcs not to be included.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

#14 Post by Warskull »

I think its really, really hard to get a good random in a game this style. The randomness for the most part ends up a non-factor (the damage spreads.) I think you would get a better results with buffs or area effects though. The stun, bonus damage, and instant mana burn should go though.

I think probably the best thing you could get with the theme would be a field effect. An area where a random effect occurs.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#15 Post by Dekar »

I will try to come up with some alterantive skill ideas soon.

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Setokaiva

#16 Post by Setokaiva »

I like the idea of the kodo going around and gobbling up units. Lets have this though; there is a certain unit limit for enemies he can eat, and if he goes over that limit, at the end of the skill he will take damage based on how much he overfed. If he ate over twice his limit, he explodes, sending people flying everywhere and dealing massive damage. You die of course. Maybe this could be a researched talent, allowing you to self-destruct if you die from overfeeding. What a way to go :D
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM