Candleburg

Raise concerns about balance.

Moderator: Mills

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

Candleburg

#1 Post by Warskull »

This map plays out atrociously. The instant summoning of troops needs to go, it draws the game out too long.

Plus the mines need another tower, it is extremely easy to use flying units or summons to sneak around the right side and kill the units on the mine.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Re: Candleburg

#2 Post by Perhaps »

Don't see why such a deal is made about taking down the miners, doing so does't effect that much. The last thing Candleburg needs is another tower, but if it's that important, use a tower relocation instead.

I don't know if you've noticed, but what makes Candleburg really last a ridiculously long time is the fact that there are so many towers in an area for the front lines of the base, units get decimated too fast to do damage, while just the regular units spawned at base alone into defense will be mostly alive when the forces get swept, then a little bit after a force spawns making a larger force that builds and builds as an avalanche, so the next time you get back to on their base, any damage that was done could be repaired twice over.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

I'm considering changing the spawn system to "Spawns an x for the next 5 waves". Mana rate would obviously be reduced so you aren't spawning 30 per wave. The idea is that you'll have to commit to a choice of what (and when) you spawn them, and have to deal with the consequences of any choice for a while at least.

Towers are another issue that's probably easier to address.

DarnYak

Warskull
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by Warskull »

The open area between the two is still going to be a problem favoring speed/power heroes. There isn't a whole lot to stop a chase except unit spam at the moment. This makes the speed aura on sorrow liege pretty ridiculous.

I think the no peons would work fairly well. Maybe give the towers slow health regen (so minor chip damage disappears.)

Major item I noticed is detonating phoenixes are ridiculously overpowered on Candleburg. You just can't stop them.

As for the spawn per waves, its a start, but still has flaws. People will ideally want to spawn everything at once. A better method might be to only allow one to be active at a time and purchasing another puts all of them on cooldown. Then split them, some summon an immediate cluster (long cooldown), other give you creeps per wave (shorter cooldown.) So you can have creeps in each wave, or get an immediate power boost. But if you use one you lose the other.

In the one described in your post, the way to play it would be like a game of chicken. Hold of summoning as long as possible and then summon a bunch to deal the killing blow. That doesn't sound very fun because it returns to the problem of the creeps being the centerpiece instead of the heroes.

I personally think the map would play best as attrition instead of each side stockpiling in an arms race until one can deliver a finishing blow.
Last edited by Warskull on April 5th, 2009, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

Warskull wrote:Major item I noticed is detonating phoenixes are ridiculously overpowered on Candleburg. You just can't stop them.
Phoenixes are pretty OP overall in my experience. Planning on changing a few things about BP in 1.12d, this being one.

DarnYak