New Dispel System

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Dispel System

#1 Post by DarnYak »

Note: Older dispels are being left as is untill I replace/upgrade those spells completely, this is primarilly for talents and probably the items. Existing dispel skills are planned to be remade in order to make them have utility that isn't dependant on what skills your opponents pick and if they decide to use them or not

I've been wanting to redo the dispel system for a while, this will be the first step of it. Primary reason is dispels are far to powerful and practicly unlimited in powr, and as a result the buffs tend to be powerful to balance out the fact that their easily dispelled.

New system works like this:
- All buffs are given their own health rating, based on the buff itself and the level, and maybe in rare cases talents. Health in this case is all or nothing, as tracking anything inbetween is a giant pain in the ass
- Dispels themselves will have two key numbers: total power and a maximum per unit. Total power is the total amount of damage it can deal dispelling things, with a maximum per unit cast. IE, a dispel may have 1000 power, maximum of 100 per unit, and it hits a unit with 3 buffs worth 40 each - two of those will be dispelled, and it'll go on to the next unit with 920 power left
- Summons and effects will work in similar ways, but since they can take partial damage, they'll eat up the full debuff amount (following the above example, any summon or effect will take 100 damage). There's a chance i may add a 200% multiplier or such to the damage, but that will be decided after testing
- Dispel unit order will be spell dependant, with most strong dispels being "closest to center first", with weaker dispels being a random order
- Dispel order on a unit itself will most likely be weakest to strongest, so that you can "protect" more valuable ones with the less valuable ones. For example, Kindle Faith may be 30, Keen Blade may be 80, thus in the 100 damage dispel above the Kindle will be eaten, but Keen Blade remains untouched

DarnYak

Furion
Resident
Resident

Re: New Dispel System

#2 Post by Furion »

Will dispelling a higher health buff have a higher effect (on the duration of spellshift eg)?

Anyway its a great idea
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#3 Post by Perhaps »

SomethingGuy came up with a cool idea, which is similar. But rather than life on buffs, Dispells will have different levels of "dispell," like a buff will be by default the level of 5 or whatnot, if the dispell is level 1, then dispelling it with that level of dispell will change it to a level 4 of that buff, which will be the same buff but of a lesser effect. Because the way the map is right now, Staff of Negation is imbalanced (overpowered), but at the same time is needed to level certain imbalanced situations (overpowered) into a level of fair balance.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Perhaps wrote:    SomethingGuy came up with a cool idea, which is similar. But rather than life on buffs, Dispells will have different levels of "dispell," like a buff will be by default the level of 5 or whatnot, if the dispell is level 1, then dispelling it with that level of dispell will change it to a level 4 of that buff, which will be the same buff but of a lesser effect.
This is the kind of system i would have gone with, except its very difficult to do inside wc3. Maybe if it were planned into it from the start, but redoing all the old buffs would be too large of a hassle at this point.

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by Perhaps »

Did I ever say, "redo the buffs?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just leave the already existing buffs alone, and just create lower version of that, and simply change the dispell effects instead?

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by DarnYak »

Perhaps wrote:    Did I ever say, "redo the buffs?" Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you just leave the already existing buffs alone, and just create lower version of that, and simply change the dispell effects instead?
If it only applied to new stuff, that would be an option. However, that would also be very confusing to players with buffs acting under several differnt systems, and its also questionable just how much new stuff will even be added to eota that would let it fall under the new system.

DarnYak