Spawn variety

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.

Try out unique spawns?

No, I want asured balance and dont you already get enough grief for minor imbalances?
No votes
No, upgrades will provide enough when they return
26%
Yes, it would be more interesting and fun games don't demand perfect balance
30%
Yes, but find a way to do it that doesn't involve changing current spawns
4%
Yes, it may be imbalanced at first but will get to within toleration fast enough
30%
Don't care either way
9%

Total votes: 23

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Spawn variety

#1 Post by DarnYak »

Blue bought up the issue of homo units. Erm, "homogenization of the units", aka the fact that all units are effectiely mirrors of each other despite minor tweaks. I've always shyed away from messing with this too much becuase it has a TON of ramifications, but its always been an interesting/tempting options.

So what do you guys say, would you be willing to put up with working out these issues or are you not interested in risking it?

Note, this wouldn't be 1.11d or even 1.12 nessarily.

DarnYak

BLUEPOWERVAN
Regular
Regular

#2 Post by BLUEPOWERVAN »

woo its a landslide! In 5 hours my total victory will be assured as the aging yak has grown impatient, but still abides by his democratic ideals.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: Spawn variety

#3 Post by Dekar »

[X]Yes, it would be more interesting and a we will find a good balance sooner or later anyway.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Dekar wrote:[X]Yes, it would be more interesting and a we will find a good balance sooner or later anyway.
Added an option like this, but it reset the votes. Which is good becuase 5 hours were almost up and I didnt want blue to win.

DarnYak

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#5 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

I already have an idea for army, which is called "Avenging Pride", which units in High Elf and United Creep have a chance of getting when an allied unit dies. It will cause effected unit to have a "rage" status, that will increase damage, attack speed, move speed, mana, and the ammount this unit casts, but when enraged the unit has a high chance to recieve +1.5x crit or more from enemy units and recieve 10% or more damage from spells. Also when a unit with the rage status dies near other units, the chance for "Avenging Pride" will roll for a higher chance. And each race will have unique and special ways to manipulate their own enraged units or opposing enraged units, to their benifit via heros, tavern heros, upgrades, spawn towers, and/or items. Like Undead could have "crushing pride" that when the enraged unit dies, all other units get a massive stat reduction. ^_^ .v

Furion
Resident
Resident

#6 Post by Furion »

We have eg the dragons and hawkriders already, which i consider beeing quiete different X_x
well still both are flying units with a magic ranged atack

So how much more unique would it be?
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#7 Post by LordSuzaku »

I would like to see the factions units diverge. Maybe not in excess, but enough to keep things unique. People choose factions for the heroes right now. Maybe making the units different will make people think about the army a bit too.
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.

Emufarmers
Site Admin
Site Admin
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Emufarmers

#8 Post by Emufarmers »

LordSuzaku wrote:I would like to see the factions units diverge. Maybe not in excess, but enough to keep things unique. People choose factions for the heroes right now. Maybe making the units different will make people think about the army a bit too.
It's hard enough to have unique factions that are still balanced (à la StarCraft), but I don't really see any way to do that when players aren't actually controlling the army units. With some of the tower-spawned units (particularly the spellcasting ones), maybe it's possible, but beyond that, the differences between the sides' armies have to remain mostly cosmetic to keep things balanced.

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#9 Post by LordSuzaku »

Maybe casters have different active spells while the melee use different passive skills. The change would be nice but what we have is fine.
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#10 Post by Hammel »

LordSuzaku wrote:Maybe casters have different active spells while the melee use different passive skills. The change would be nice but what we have is fine.
And these differences are done by upgrades (when they return)...

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#11 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

LordSuzaku wrote:And these differences are done by upgrades (when they return)...
Do not forget Druids come with two default skills, and Ghasts come with one, without upgrades.

Finish the fight

Aside from the Murloc and Clockwerk warriors, all other units specifically racial units, are single unit spawn. Though a druid really feels like 3-5 units.

It would be cool to see Creeps get something like Spirit Wolf tower, where they get three Spirit Wolf spawns for it (I didn't feel like putting too much detail into this idea, so be imaginative).

On the same slot Undead would get a tower that's called Fanatic that when almost dead suicides creating a poison cloud, or if a hero sets to attack a Fanatic that Fanatic will sacrifise itself to give that hero health and mana. As well as give that hero a poison attack buff over a minor duration.

On the human side would be Polyvarinar Twins, two units that spawn, that each spawn, each twin will be randomly selected as a melee fighter, an archer, or a caster, they will use combo abilities based on what the two classes they are, on top of that, when one dies, the other dies.

Another Day, Another Dollar