A question of morals.

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Ion
Communist

A question of morals.

#1 Post by Ion »

Is backdooring okay?

Does it piss you're winning a game and suddenley 4 heroes pop up in a base and ravage your spawn towers?

Does it make you grumpy when your intricutely placed command towers are thrashed and your plans foiled?

S'it okay to backdoor? Does it ruin games, does it make it better, or do you just not give a shit.

Thoughts.
Ion.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#2 Post by DarnYak »

It should be noted that this question is different from "Is backdooring balanced?", which deserves its own thread (and I can tell you already, no its not balanced but I dont play enough to come up with a fair approach to fixing it - replays would be nice).

DarnYak

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#3 Post by Hammel »

IMHO it depends on the heroes. When the heroes are made for backdooring and it fits their background, I would say: HELL, DO IT (I am talking about Tact, Infil, Harpy and Fenny). They are also counterable by porting there since they dont have SO many hp (even towers/anti hero gens help there, but that is balance). Also a Tact which is not backdooring isnt what a Tact is supposed to be with Flank. Or an Infil not killing a tower with the help of smome and sabotage. (I know harpy can fly away but I dont want to go into it)

Thinking of others, like BP, RK, Gravel and stuff: Why did noone see them coming? I mean they are so fat (especially Gravel), people would see them. Once again on balance, it is a bitch to counter Gravel, that also speaks against it. Also it doesnt make sense for the BP to leave his troops... that is not his role.

-Ham

Ion
Communist

#4 Post by Ion »

It should be noted that this question is different from "Is backdooring balanced?", which deserves its own thread (and I can tell you already, no its not balanced but I dont play enough to come up with a fair approach to fixing it - replays would be nice).

DarnYak
Quite right, this is not discussing the balance of back-dooring, but rather is it morally acceptable to do it (I wanted to parody those forum-topics like "Is racism acceptable?" or "What's really wrong with rape?").

So don't discuss the balancing issues or what we should do to accomidate backdooring, just talk about weither or not you see it as an acceptable thing to do in a game (weither or not you get extremley angry when people do it and see them as poor sports or w/e).
Ion.

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

#5 Post by Elle »

It's strategy..

Can't help it if half the world is noob. :(

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#6 Post by Sparda963 »

Is it moral? yes, if you cant see it coming, then you deserve it, if you fall victim to it, then you deserve the results. It can be done by both sides with incredible effectiveness. BP and RK Ults, super dmg, easy to stop. Gravel and Spider, Ults, super building dmg, again, easy to stop.

Gravel and RK hard to kill, but without their ults, their dmg is limtied to 1 target, Rockslide drains mana fast. BP hp will fall fast when under atk from spawnies, unless he has mass strength or armor. Spider has no hp and no building dmg except for ult, stop his ult, stoped the spider. Other heros have some siege skills, but again, they are easy to stop due to their channeling requirement, or the heros low hp or low mana.

So in conclusion, backdooring is moral, if you cant stop it and it turns the game to the team that back doored you, you completly deserve what happened to you.
It's not rape if you yell surprise!

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#7 Post by Hammel »

What about a consumable like Observer Wards, just without true sight? I know that it is like in DotA, but it would help to see enemies coming... and they can be placed on ramps so you dont lose the enemy hero when chasing ;)

Btw: Both sides can backdoor, depending on their heroes, so to me it is okay. Some combinations may work better, but in general it is ok... apart from the "topic of hero concept" thing, but that only counts for me ^^.

-Ham

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#8 Post by Demongod86 »

Sure it is. If they can't stop you, go for it.

Storamin
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#9 Post by Storamin »

all is fair in love & war, and this is love.
Last edited by Storamin on June 21st, 2007, 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demongod86
Regular
Regular

#10 Post by Demongod86 »

Indeed.
/you SHUT THE FUCK UP, GODDAMMIT!

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#11 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

It's unbalanced if you're careless... I like backdooring, and I'm not one of those people who are just saying that because "I just want to abuse it," but I also like having that threat present against me, it provides the danger of a harsh blow or loss at a fast rate giving a more intense competitive play, and a lot of times forces improvisation.

Besides, a lot of backdoor strageties can hurt a lot to fail to attempt, a lot more than it does for the other team to effort to stop them.

And the race balance factor... I would say both races have equal backdoor capabilities, they differ in how they're proceeded, but none the less pretty much equals.

If you don't want intense, having to improvise around it, and all that rot, then maybe you should stick to bots playing against bots via with bots, coop or solo.

kinguvspaz
Visitor
Visitor

Re: A question of morals.

#12 Post by kinguvspaz »

Backdooring is definitely moral. Strategy is strategy. On the other questions: yes it is annoying to be backdoored against, yes i do hate it, and yes it really pisses me off to have to replace those towers. But no, I won't be bitching about it. Probably more often than not, I'm the one who's in ur base, rocksliding ur doodz (or whatever gravel's ult is called).
O! it is excellent / to have a giant's strength / but it is tyrannous / to use it like a giant.

my team needs a buff

mianmian
Addict
Addict

Re: A question of morals.

#13 Post by mianmian »

Ya you backdoored my gens+tower, you whore!
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower