Streak owns!

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Streak owns!

#1 Post by Dekar »

Want to get into combat fast with the little additional stun? Need to get away fast, prefferential to a fountain, over a cliff or on the other map side? Sick of paying teleport gold?

Try Streak and get a free dozen of wards which will allow you to create your own near instant teleportation routes!

A little jump to start with:

Well, one screen is nice, but ...

Yeah, thats more like it!

Theres only a single ward on the screen and one at the top just outside of the pic.

Try Streak yourself NOW!
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#2 Post by mianmian »

Ya, I was doing the same in Candle, I could streak from HQ to the enemy towers no problem, with only 3 wards, 1 at our tower, 1 in the middle of the map (the plaza) and another just past the plaza.

Streak is obscene
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#3 Post by Dekar »

SO far? :shock:

I only got to lvl ~22 in my test game, but I wondered how far Streak goes.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

de-cross
Visitor
Visitor

#4 Post by de-cross »

Streak's range seems only to be limited between the targets (the spires or usual units).
I already jumped across whole stormwind with spires and across whole kedge without :) Streak is fun.

But Imo streak shouldn't target neutral units and dummy units that didn't got removed ;)

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

de-cross wrote:But Imo streak shouldn't target neutral units and dummy units that didn't got removed ;)
If you can show me example of dummy units its bouncing off I'd be glad to clean that up. Neutral units...I'm torn on that one, I like the fact that a random bird flying past can sometimes help you out.

DarnYak

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#6 Post by Hammel »

Well, if you keep the range that way, reduce Ward HP (so you can clean the wilderness quickly so he cannot react fast enough and kill you), slightly increase Ult cooldown (too spammable, cleaning the wilderness would just be a waste of time atm since they'll be back up in a minute) AND let Streak cooldown start when you reach your destination... atm it refreshes during streaking and when you are "there", you can streak out right away...

Apart from that, 50% attack/movement boost is too much... even for a killable ult ward... together with boosting the other skills, but that isnt really on topic.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by DarnYak »

Hammel wrote:AND let Streak cooldown start when you reach your destination... atm it refreshes during streaking and when you are "there", you can streak out right away...
If only wc3 allowed realistic control over cooldowns...

I'll be tweaking streak some (as well as just about every skill on both new heroes) but not overly much. He's intended to be a highly mobile hero.

DarnYak

de-cross
Visitor
Visitor

#8 Post by de-cross »

Here are some
Attachments
if you would zoom in there you would see a little dot which appeared when I streaked over it (I could do that multiple times through the whole game and I have other screenshot of it they are just not so obvious ;) )
if you would zoom in there you would see a little dot which appeared when I streaked over it (I could do that multiple times through the whole game and I have other screenshot of it they are just not so obvious ;) )
Streak_on_dummys_1.jpg (285.54 KiB) Viewed 8447 times
could be one of the storm,earth and fire dummys =P (I know that the last turn is normal but the one before isn't)
could be one of the storm,earth and fire dummys =P (I know that the last turn is normal but the one before isn't)
Streak_on_dummys_3.jpg (332.01 KiB) Viewed 8446 times
Streak_on_dummys_2.jpg
Streak_on_dummys_2.jpg (252.27 KiB) Viewed 8448 times

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

de-cross wrote:Here are some
Ok, you've proved some exist, but I still need a replay of it to find out WHAT the unit is. You should be able to select them because anything with aloc can't be picked by default.

DarnYak

de-cross
Visitor
Visitor

#10 Post by de-cross »

I don't have that replay anymore but it's fairly common imo
The only clue I have is that at one point there was Storm Earth and Fire running (I have already seen leftovers from that at another point for atleast sometime during the song) and just before I noticed that jump in the middle the Lich was pushing there with Dark Altars.

Although I think it's unlikely that the Dark Altar would do that, it fits with the observation of another game, where Pestilence bounced nearly without an end on invisible units at the lane where there was always a lich spamming Dark Altar for infinite life (it's really imbalanced in -spawnrate 10 and -spawncap 4 games =P).

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

SEF (and most other arthas songs) are definately one cause. And my god my old code for that is really fucking bad.

Not sure what could cause altar to do it, besides living altars (which i'm going to be fixing). Corpse traps are also potential targets.

DarnYak

de-cross
Visitor
Visitor

#12 Post by de-cross »

tbw I forgot to say that I checked every spot for units to be there and one or two even were corpse traps :) (btw the last screenshot the huge jump to the left after the first jump is an ulti tower btw I just noticed you don't see that =O)

The only strange thing I noticed is that as soon as I streaked over the point in the first picture always a little dot appeared and disappeared shortly after I finished streak... but I doubt that'll do nothing but confuse you :)

and it's not 100% that it's caused by dark altar. Dark altar is just a skill that might be worth looking at =P

Edit: Just took this screen in a game with Defiler,Neph,Garg and Firelord
sooo no it doesn't seem to be (only? still dunno if it does but don't think so =P) dark altar

Edit2: but it's probably from the ud because once I had this when playing against elves and now against creeps =o
just a thought... corpse trap leftovers?
Attachments
no_dark_altar.jpg
no_dark_altar.jpg (338.01 KiB) Viewed 8413 times

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by DarnYak »

Lets put it this way.

When you find streak boucning off an invisible unit, hold down alt. If a life bar appears, try to area select around it (maybe slightly below becuase most of them are flying to prevent pathing problems). If you can select something, tell me what they're named.

As for the little dot, do you mean on the ground? It could be the footsteps leftover from the blurred units, which ican't get rid of

Edit - This is werid, Dark Altar/corpse traps are properly flagged as wards, and streak specificly ignores wards already, so I'm not sure why its even hitting those.

DarnYak
Last edited by DarnYak on June 2nd, 2007, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de-cross
Visitor
Visitor

#14 Post by de-cross »

You can't target them at all but look yourself in the replay at about ~18.30 there are some jumps on invis units
And usually there were corpse traps before I jump around there... but not always :/ (at said point (at the base in the 2nd southest lane btw) @ mark 10-12)
Attachments
noLich streak test.w3g
(168.36 KiB) Downloaded 277 times

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#15 Post by DarnYak »

Thanks cross, its an amazingly good replay to check things out on.

First thing i'm checking is if its Scarab's Nightmare. I already re-wrote the spell (it was extremely old and thus had a bunch of extra crap I'm happy enough to clean out). Going to do some tests to verify or disprove if its it though.

I must say, really fucking strange becuase you can't see the units at all, and the editor shows them having aloc, which makes it basicly impossible to accidently pick them in game, so this may not be it.

And, by the way, there were no corpse traps ever on that bridge. I sat through the whole game wtching that bridge and there was actualy very little activity, so this should help narrow things down I hope.

Edit - Nightmare is definately responsible for some of them, however i'm unsure why. I rewrote the spell already, but we may be finding more problem spells with streak for a while to come. I ask everyone to post replays where this clearly happens for versions after test8.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by DarnYak »

BTw, before anyone asks..

Owls are sacred to the Martyr and even his demented undeath he refuses to harm them. Thus you can't kill owls as Martyr.

DarnYak

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#17 Post by mianmian »

You forgot to give him a flying attack? GG Yak.. srsly
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by DarnYak »

mianmian wrote:You forgot to give him a flying attack? GG Yak.. srsly
No, he has a flying attack, he just refuses to attack owls

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by DarnYak »

After proving that nightmare was causing this, but being unable to explain why, I fixed this and hoped it was just a fluke.

It wasn't.

When i was making EotA, I distinctly remember verifying that units with the locust ability would NOT be picked by "Pick units in range". Googling this says my memory is correct, as there are numerous questions asking why they can't get the locust units through using it.

For some reason, this is no longer the case, either due to something I'm doing wrong in EotA, or because a patch has somehow changed something, I'm not sure. This is highly annoying in general, and problematic in some cases. The annoying ones are cases such as streak, or Energy Shield tryign to cast on a dummy unit rather then a real unit, using up its limited # of spawns.

The really bad ones are when it starts creating dummy units, to cast on other dummy units. Which can then have other dummy units attempting to cast on them. Which can get worse and worse as the game goes on. This could be why Kedge/Candle start lagging abnormally much.

Me and short did a short test to prove this. Recasting Mass Regeneration + Rebirth on ourselves standign in one spot rapidly grew a giant pile of dummy units on top of us trying to cast. The best news is the growth was only linear, not exponential, but its still bad, and its possible that another spell combo could be resulting in exponential growth (that would certainly explain some spells that start lagging to hell till the game crashes)

I dont know the full size of the problem at the moment. I'll fix cases I can find where its abnormally bad, but i'll probably just release it with this bug unfixed. A full fix would demand EXTREMELY thorough testing of the map, as in every single spell on every single hero, and I dont want to delay it for that when its playable as it is.

DarnYak