Fort Yak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fort Yak

#1 Post by DarnYak »

Here we go, expect the worst.

Doing a different build than i usualy do given the situation - 3 miners, 2 military dwarves, most of them with a secondary profession to switch to if things stablize. Dwarves:
- Sparda: Miner/Brewer
- Emu: Miner/Cook
- Nick (which one? who knows!): Miner/Mason
- Watermelon: Farmer/Carpenter
- Siege: Mason/Hammerdwarf
- Dekar: Axedwarf
- LordYak: Leader/Mechanic

I had to embark on a place with an aquifer since only 2 terrifying biomes existed in the world, both having aquifers. Mineral scarcity is turned way up past normal because the formula it uses is crap and the economy doesn't work yet. Brough no animals with me because I needed the points elsewhere.

Starting off: Already thers 3 Lousemen zombies and 1 Giant Echinda Corpse.

DarnYak
Attachments
Starting.jpg

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: Fort Yak

#2 Post by Dekar »

Awesome Axedwarf!

I hate aquifer starts. :?
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

The zombies made their way to my fort before i got the trenches up.

Still don't understand the new military system worth a damn. Dekar was cutting wood, i activated him and he threw down his axe and decided to chase the zombies weaponless. Way to go.

2 zombies dead, another chasing Nick to the corners of the map.

DarnYak
Attachments
Perimeter.jpg
Perimeter.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 19058 times

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

Zombies killed. Stayed dead for about a minute. Time to dig a zombie dump pit.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

Siege decided to fight a zombie underwater. Siege would be missed but he'll probably be back as a zombie at any moment. Dekar is quite upset.

Dekar finally decided to pick up his axe. Right when 3 zombies were over it. Dekar has fallen.

Toady apparently fixed the only way to force dwarves to build a wall from a specific side. Watermelon has walled himself into the refuse zombie pit. The one corpse in there came back to life, but watermelon killed it. He's miserable though (although his profile says 'he lost an annoying acquiantance lately')

Siege came back and killed Sparda and Emu. Drafted Nick into the army since he's the only one left with a pick. A severed zombie arm somehow punched him in the head and he died. Yak is trying to wall himself in but I dont know what he can do if he even accomplishes it.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by DarnYak »

Yak got chased out of the almost safe place, tried to make him stop and fight but the severed arm knocked him unconcious, and then he got caught by this.
Smoke.jpg
Watermelon was running around succesfully dodging zombies, until a Giant Moth corpse swopped in from above.

The settlement has crumbled to its end.

Sad, i didn't find out what the smoke cloud did.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#7 Post by Dekar »

Well, that was fun to read. :D

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by DarnYak »

Starting over from the initial save (I dont feel like repicking dwarf skills0. Hoping Dekar picks up his axe this time.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#9 Post by DarnYak »

Initial wall built. Except this time there's Thripsmen, which apparently can fly. I've so got to get underground. Thankfully there's 3 soil layers before the acquifer.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by DarnYak »

Underground now, just in time.
Attachments
Inside.jpg

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

First layer of aquifer breached, only victim was a peice of leather that got swept into the hole when the water exploded everywhere. Waiting for water to clear to see if there's a second layer (if so, i need to restart the process since i screwed up).

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by DarnYak »

The Water Buffallo and Donkey were starving, so I decided to butcher them before they died and came back to life. The skin immediatly reanimated and caused a panic. No casualties, but now I need to dispose of this skin somehow.

Edit: With much effort, its gone. I made a ramp over the wall and just had them toss it over the side, except they kept tossing it back INSIDE the wall, right over the hatch to the underground where everyone is.

Edit2: Just in time, both skins reanimated just after getting tossed.

Edit3: The hair from the animals reanimated too, and seperately.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#13 Post by Dekar »

Fun times. :mrgreen:

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by DarnYak »

Good news: Only one layer of aquifer, I HAVE REACHED THE STONE.

Bad news: The Donkey + Water Buffalo butchering was terrible. I got the skins outside the fort, but the dwarves are too afraid to go up to the wall to throw the rest over the side. So the hair got dumped up top (beyond a hatch) and will probably take over that little area shortly.

Dekar once again discarded his axe and doesn't seem to want to use it for training. Idiot.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#15 Post by Dekar »

Silly Dekar.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by DarnYak »

A cloud of accurssed smoke passed over the fort. Dwarves were all inside and safe (although the cloud clealry goes over walls). The zombies outside seemed uneffected.

Expecting migrants soon, unsure how to get them inside the fort safely. Zombie Sparrowmen are flying all around the map now.

Dug down to see how far the caverns were. Answer: Not far at all.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by DarnYak »

Resuming after dinner.

Migrants! On the far side of the river, with a zombie Giant Louse . Ordering my miners to dig a tunnel under the river to them but I dont expect this to be casualty free. Currently the zombie is beatin on an alpaca in the corner, with luck it may be distracted for a sufficient time.

Oh no one of the clouds descended upon the planned entrance. The dwarves are scattered being chased by various zombies. Quite a few have weapons skills but nobody brought any with them.

DarnYak

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by DarnYak »

"Interrupted by Stray Donkey Foal accursed smoke zombie"

I know what the smoke does now. Dear god.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#19 Post by DarnYak »

Casualties: One dwarven child, one alpaca, and one donkey. All already zombified and roaming around that tunnel entrance.

Siege and Dekar did battle with the zombie responsible and managed to kill it with only minor injuries. Everyone is now back inside, the wall is sealed off, and giant zombie mosquitos are now invading the map.

New dwarves:
Rokhan: Bowyer/mason
Seasons: Cook/Fishcleaner
Pool: Fisherdwarf
Luftwaffles: Random craftsdwarf
Mandein: Cook/Farmer
Mirror: Glassmaker/Speardwarf
Pwnography: Soapmaker being drafted into the military
Mills: Butchery/Plant processing/Milling

Made a memorial slab for the dwarven child, we really dont need a ghost on top of his zombie corpse harrassing us. Currently trying to figure out how best to divide and relocate everyone, probbaly going to focus on getting a more established farming operation up and then get some weapon/armor making going.

Holy crap almost 130 Giant Mosquito zombies now.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#20 Post by DarnYak »

One of the duck pets brought along just went missing. I don't know if it was somehow trapped outside or we have an evil dwarf among us..

Edit: Nope he was left outside, now his head is animated and. Currently 197 zombies on the map, most of which are giant mosquitos.

watermelon
Yak's Secretary
Yak's Secretary
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: watermelon_1234

#21 Post by watermelon »

This is interesting, even though I have no idea what the pictures mean at all.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#22 Post by jamn455 »

Wow, I see how it is.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#23 Post by DarnYak »

Alright, I made an expanded farming area for now.
Farms.jpg
The big open area to the right is the current general area for everything, mostly because its the biggest clear area. It's acutaly the plug on top of the aquifier. It's going to become one of the main passageways so i may ultimately move the farms to somewhere safer, but for now its just too convinent here.

Making a secure entrance for trading/migrants is probably my biggest concern once food is stable, not entirely sure how to go about doing that.

Dekar's been running around raging because he was released from the military. Which he wasn't, he just dropped his axe and refuses to train.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#24 Post by DarnYak »

Autumn has come, entrance is being worked on.
Entrance.jpg
It's just a long hall with bridges and a 2 level drop. At the bottom will go some atom smashers since the only alternative to getting rid of zombies is magma, and it's quite a hassle to reach the magma from here. Along the sides are dump pits for rapid dumping of anything that dies there (also to be atom smashed). The south side also acts as a road under the river.

Migrants have arrived, but thankfully the giant mosquito zombies have left. They did, howver, appear next to the zombie alpaca and dwarf child, so there's still threats, but i just need to take down this constructed wall.

Most made it in, but two dwarves are too afraid to go past the duck head mentioned several posts above, which is somehow flying one level above the ground over the rest of its corpse, which isn't animated (including its wings). Unfortunately, they include the most useful dwarf (a weaponsmith) so I need to send out my military.

Crap, the head isn't flying, its stuck on top of a tree. Stupid dwarves are too afraid to go past it. Guess i'll draft them and order them inside, maybe they'll stop being pansies...

Yay it worked, everyone made it safe this time. New Dwarves (finding names for dwarves is alreayd getting hard):
- Strych, a weaponsmith
- Mian, a furnace operator
- Hammel, a farmer
- GeneralFunk, a hammerdwarf
- Roflfax, a mason

Small wave, which is fine by me.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#25 Post by DarnYak »

Dwarven caravan arrived, but its on the far side of the map. Luckily its in a part of the map that isn't evil (for some reason), so it's probably safe to stay there for a little while. Will have to make a temporary tunnel and hope it makes it in.

Guards made it safely in, clearing away the hair and skin that was camping my original entrance. Using this opportunity to try and clean it off a bit.

Winter hit, and a cloud of smoke spawned as I was begining my operations up top. Crap.

Oh, good, it went the other way. Roof was almost completed when the zombies came back and caused chain interruptions. And thers zombie Kiwi women all around my brand new entrance for the caravan. Hope they cant figure out how to open a locked hatch. Bridges almost done.

DarnYak