Candleburg Improvements

Learn about and comment on the next version of EotA in development.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Candleburg Improvements

#1 Post by DarnYak »

As part of the bugfix/final release, I'm going to feel eternally unsatisfied unless I somehow get candleburg to not be a shithole that makes everyone want to quit (or at least make another attempt at doing so). This thread will be about discussing improvements and for people to throw out their ideas.

So far:

- Added a corn field maze (from Witching Hour) to attract players

DarnYak

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

Re: Candleburg Improvements

#2 Post by jamn455 »

What about the other two maps that suck?
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

They have issues, but aren't nearly as bad as candleburg (because at the very least they end in a reasonable amount of time)

DarnYak

FlyingFridge
Wanderer
Wanderer
Battle.net name: FlyingFridge

#4 Post by FlyingFridge »

Having not really every played Candlueburg, what was wrong with it? My extent of knowledge about it is Setokaiva screaming "NOOOOO." When candleburg is brought up
The fact it was so small every game became a giant clusterfuck?
Just curious so I can make some suggestions.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

FlyingFridge wrote:The fact it was so small every game became a giant clusterfuck?
I think that's an issue, but the bigger issue was it just took forever to take down a base, even once one team's got a clear advantage.

On a serious note, since nobody's replying:

What I'm currently considering doing is heavily messing with respawn times on Candleburg. I know part of what makes it less fun is most heroes should be dying a ton, which means more respawn, which means more waiting around. Instead, I'm currently thinking of making it a flat 30 second maximum, with the exact timer dependant on how far away from your base you died (further=lower respawn). This will mean longer respawns on defensive, shorter respawns on offensive (but you also have the time it takes to run back). Hero kill bounties/crystal would also be heavily messed with.

I suspect this would be an improvement (30s is tenative till it gets some testing), I'm unsure if this will be sufficient.

DarnYak

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#6 Post by Sparda963 »

Maybe add in some heavy siege spawn units that can dish out a lot of dmg against buildings? i duno im not creative when it comes to shit like that
It's not rape if you yell surprise!

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#7 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

DarnYak wrote:What I'm currently considering doing is heavily messing with respawn times on Candleburg. I know part of what makes it less fun is most heroes should be dying a ton, which means more respawn, which means more waiting around. Instead, I'm currently thinking of making it a flat 30 second maximum, with the exact timer dependant on how far away from your base you died (further=lower respawn). This will mean longer respawns on defensive, shorter respawns on offensive (but you also have the time it takes to run back). Hero kill bounties/crystal would also be heavily messed with.
I think this will work. But I have a weird feeling that Candleburg needs something more.
I miss EotA :(

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by Sparda963 »

Much like the scroll in your inventory spamming noob above your head after a while, i think it just just randomly have your char yet FUUUUUUUUUUUUK, and then die. Thats about how i feel every time that map comes up lol

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Setokaiva

#9 Post by Setokaiva »

Main problem with Candleburg... All five heroes from each side are in the same lane, and there's only one group of units spawning per side. It DOES become a giant clusterfuck because there is simply too much activity. It is a very, very fun fight for a while, though, it's just that it tends to drag on until one side's heroes inevitably leave due to frustration because the game drags on for way too long, and then you don't have expert players on one side to keep turning pushes around. Once that happens its game over, but it never really feels 'worth it', you know?

If you ask me, the beauty of Candleburg is that it CAN'T be won. I feel like it is MEANT to be one giant clusterfuck. And if your side loses the other team either had stacked heroes or your team was primarily noob and thus unable to throw off the constant attacks.

All pick mode destroys the delicate balance of this map by throwing all the good heroes on one side and ending a game that is not meant to end.
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#10 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

How about some sort of push gameplay that eliminates lumbermills and awards crystal/energy?

What if there was a neutral, invulnerable beast that was actually some kind of artifact. It lives in the middle of Gloomreap. He stays where the battle is so as you push, he goes towards the other team's base. The objective of Candleburg would then be to push the beast to the other base which explodes and destroys it.

This would also remove the problem of games taking forever to finish.
I miss EotA :(

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by Sparda963 »

remove the workers. if you cant repair/rebuild, that makes defending your buildings a lot more crucial.
add some spells to the main castle that you can spend gold on to cast, some support, some offensive.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#12 Post by Dekar »

But skills like geyser and martyrs lightning rape buildings easily when you cant repair. :/
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer