Darkside Lunatic

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Pheonick
Resident
Resident

Darkside Lunatic

#1 Post by Pheonick »

Darkside Lunatic:
Illusionist, Evocator, Archer

Undead
Model: Skeleton archer (the one with the hat, but made up all pretty)
Perhaps using Abomination voice file.

==========================================

Once a proud leader of a pack of witches - a sect called the Silver Crescent. The Silver Crescent's main focus of praise was the moon and nature and they had chosen an unbounded life in the more feral and hidden forestry of Silverpine Forest. Once the plague spread, he was the first to be affected within the forest, bending his mind it caused him to twist the ritual magicks of his sect into more perversive arts, and struck his allies with a curse binding them to dark slumber. The undead forces saw great use for his hypnotic magickry, and taught him the more violent evocative magic of Dalaran in return for his sworn, and inescapable, service.

==========================================

Description -
His main ability is sleep effects and exploiting them, a couple of his spells cause 2x damage on sleepers.
Story perhaps to follow, but basically he was a great spellcaster of old raised by the UD forces and, while still retaining the same brilliance as when he was alive, he has no willpower or free thought - his power is based on moonlight, illusionary and spiritual techniques. For a certain spell effects this hero uses maybe the sleep effects he creates should be a seperate buff from the kind with sleep song or nightmare, such as Daydream effect rather than the standard sleep.

Innate -
Moonstream - The DL creates a small area around him which regenerates 2% total mana/s of nearby allied units/heroes, but this bonus to regeneration does not affect the caster. Maximum of 2 units affected.

The 'sleep' effect will be hitherto referred as 'Daydream(ing)'.

Skills:

Dancing Luna - An orb projectile (blood mage attack or that blue orb attack...thingie) flies in a shaky line towards targeted spot. Deals moderate damage with a low int modifier. Enemies within a 300 area of the projectile have slowed movement and attack speed (Starts at 10% and increases by 7% per level), while enemies inside a 100 area are forced into a daydream for 2/3/4/5/6/7s (half hero duration). Damage is dealt once units awake from daydream..

Gaze of Morpheus - Passive & Active. All unit in front of the moonfletcher are thrown off by his gaze. Reduces ranged attack damage by 3/4/6/9/14/18% and melee attacks against him do 1/2/2/3/5/5 less damage per strike. Also grants the 'Lazy Eye' ability which is only hero-targetable which last 4/4/6/6/8/8s which every 2 seconds has a 5/9/.../25% chance of sending the hero into a daydream which lasts the remaining duration of lazy eye. When the target daydreams (or is already daydreaming - in which case he daydreams from start to finish) he takes 50 x 0.10/0.25/.../0.85damage every 1s.

Astral Projection - Hero single-target spell. This spell sends the target enemy hero to sleep for 2/3/.../7s, upon sending the target to sleep, an ethereal clone (it's 'soul') appears next to the hero, which start with 100% of the heroes total health, even if the hero targetted is damaged. It acts exactly like a normal ethereal hero - cannot attack, but may cast spells, moves slower. (I haven't decided whether the caster should share this effect yet...).
Apart from disabling the enemy hero (depending on class) it provides 2 options for attack. All damage done to the soul causes half damage to the actual hero, once the soul is depleted of health, it returns to the body and the spell duration is broken. The soul also return to its body if the hero is woken. The 2nd option is attacking the hero, which becomes a viable strategy with...

Moonfletcher - Passive, Allows the DL to attack sleeping units without waking them for 20 + (agi modifier increasing w/ level) of magic damage. units killed this way rerise as "Sleepwalkers" (elder voidwalker model, itty-bitty sized) with 200HP and a flat 10 melee damage.

Orbital - Ultimate, AoE nuke, channeling. The same projectile in Dancing Luna to be used in this spell. An orb appears and begins to circle round the targeted area (or caster, maybe) and when the orb completes a half/quarter/sixth/eighth or the circle, another one appears where the first started and so on until 2/4/6/8 orbs appear. Each orb contributes to the total AoE damage at the end of channeling,but if the channeling is interrupted, only the no. of orbs present at the time of interruption cause damage. Visually, the orbs fly into the centre of the area at the same time (at the end of channeling) and cause an explosion in the centre, maybe the obsidian statue's spirit touch effect. The damage of each orb should be equal to the maximum stage of the Dancing Luna skill.

*Optional

Talents
Magnification - Makes Moonglow regenerate 1% total mana/s of the caster's mana at night when cast.

Nightstalkers - Upgrades Sleepwalkers to Nightstalkers, stronger, air-attacking creatures that can also attack daydreaming units without disturbing them. (although without the 'raise sleepwalker' effect)

Any typos are my own damn fault for not looking over the text.
Monkeys.
Last edited by Pheonick on May 2nd, 2007, 4:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#2 Post by Hammel »

Let's see...

Innate is healing as powerful as a level 3 base (I think), and affects anything around? Nerf pls... Talent also overpowered, making him a walking fountain for himself :-/

Dancing Luna will be a bitch to trigger, I suppose, when you want it to move faster than 522... with 522 (max movespeed), we could create a dummy unit going from caster to target point, and check every .5 seconds for units in 100/300 range and add the effects to them. I dunno how to do it if it moves faster... :-/

[EDIT] Picking every unit in ~~ radius will be problematic, since it will also pick units in front of the projectile, making them take double damage.... well, one can place dummy casters that cast it after some time (or place them in 100 offset in direction of the casting unit)... :-/)
[/EDIT]

Placid Arrows... Autocastable spells are not detected by "unit uses an ability", so triggering the effects will be a bit more difficult... maybe use Ice Arrows, and detect the buff, to add the effects by trigger?

Astral Projection wont be too much of a problem, I suppose... just not awakening the target hero will be problematic...

Moonfletcher: Passives suck even more than Autocastable spells, imho ^^, for the same reason... Not awakening the sleeping unit is still problematic :-/

Orbital: When you can make them in the circle, it will be easy to do... dummy unit with that model, and explode skill, add them to a unit array... at the end of the channeling, they are moved to the middle of the AoE (by trigger), and blown up.

In terms of not awakening the sleeping units: Store amount of time left in a variable, gets upgraded every .1 seconds, and when the unit gets attacked with placid arrows, or a hero moonfletcher, it will be sent back to sleep immediatelly again, with the duration saved in the variable :-/ No effect if the attacking unit doesnt have the abilities... not perfect, but it may work.

Guess I can do most of the triggering, in case you like the hero idea, Yak would only have to do Orbital and stat-based damage... :-/

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#3 Post by Pheonick »

For his innate, I meant a very small area (< or =150), and it could have a maximum of 2 units affected, I suppose. Isn't tier 3 a 3% life/mana heal? I see what you mean about the talent though... Maybe making the Innate an AoE 1%/s maximum 2/3 units in an 125 area.

Dancing Luna doesn'y have to be very fast, it's meant to be slightly hypnotic (but not sluggish). It could also be simplified slightly by having a sleep effect within 150 only. For it's pathing, I thought of a serpentine movement. Maybe after they get damaged by the spell a short-duration buff is placed on them that makes them go to sleep after its expiration.

Placid Arrows will add be adding a buff to the target, so you could use that idea, although i might change it's effect completely =/.

Astral Projection is meant to be a bit tricky to pull off, due to it's destructive potential - one ally nuking the soul while the moonfletcher takes down the body.

BTW I'll probably revamp his design, for placid arrows - I lost track of my concept for it, but moonfletching was an integral concept of his character. I'd cry if it was cut =C. I'll also complete values such as damage, multipliers, etc. I'm also working on another hero concept for UD...slowly.
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

StealthOfKing
Wanderer
Wanderer

#4 Post by StealthOfKing »

Pheonick wrote:Dancing Luna doesn'y have to be very fast, it's meant to be slightly hypnotic (but not sluggish). It could also be simplified slightly by having a sleep effect within 150 only. For it's pathing, I thought of a serpentine movement. Maybe after they get damaged by the spell a short-duration buff is placed on them that makes them go to sleep after its expiration.
Moving the missile for Dancing Luna is not a problem.
Pheonick wrote:Placid Arrows will add be adding a buff to the target, so you could use that idea, although i might change it's effect completely =/.
Think about doing changing it. It is possible to check if an autocast is turned on however, so its not entirely impossible.

Pheonick wrote:Astral Projection is meant to be a bit tricky to pull off, due to it's destructive potential - one ally nuking the soul while the moonfletcher takes down the body.
Potentially difficult to trigger depending on how Yak's spell events are triggered.

I like the idea, but not waking a hero from only one unit's attack will not be easy, probably impossible.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#5 Post by Tehw00tz »

StealthOfKing wrote:I like the idea, but not waking a hero from only one unit's attack will not be easy, probably impossible.
Unless of course we take out a stun animation,add the sleep animation, add a .1 magic dmg to the passive moon flecthing ability and modify an ethereal state to make the hero only attackable by the passive moon flechting magic attack added with the heroes regular attack making it look like the hero is being attacked while its only a ethrael stun with a sleep animation.
In short, make another ability.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by Hammel »

Wootz, from what I read, your idea doesnt really do what Pheonick wants :-/

And replacing Moonfletcher with something else would ruin the hero concept since he is based around this skill.

Doing Placid Arrows wont be too difficult, I hope ^^, but as Pheonick said, he is still thinking about it.

Ohh, and I forgot to mention that the un-straight movement of Dancing Luna wont be easy, at least to me :-/ a straight movement is way easier ^^.

-Ham

StealthOfKing
Wanderer
Wanderer

#7 Post by StealthOfKing »

Tehw00tz wrote:
StealthOfKing wrote:I like the idea, but not waking a hero from only one unit's attack will not be easy, probably impossible.
Unless of course we take out a stun animation,add the sleep animation, add a .1 magic dmg to the passive moon flecthing ability and modify an ethereal state to make the hero only attackable by the passive moon flechting magic attack added with the heroes regular attack making it look like the hero is being attacked while its only a ethrael stun with a sleep animation.
How do you attack him to wake him with other heroes? And this raises the problem he can still be hit with spells and other heroes boasting a magical attack.
Hammel wrote:Ohh, and I forgot to mention that the un-straight movement of Dancing Luna wont be easy, at least to me :-/ a straight movement is way easier ^^.
If I wasn't playing a 10 day free trial of WoW that is totally occupying my spare time at the moment then I would trigger it right now because I have an image in my head of exactly how it would work and it looks awesome.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#8 Post by Pheonick »

Placid arrows = dead. I just needed some time to think of a replacement...
Still need a bit more ^^

Done!

Since this hero already has plenty of aoe damaging spells and PvP spells, i thought a balanced curse-type spell would be good.

I'm thinking either a twist on immolation (or Mana shield =o), with similar effects to placid arrows.

1st; Immolation style spell - Eye of Morpheus An AoE slowing/sleep spell. High inital mana cost with low -> moderate mana drain. Slow movement by 25% in a 250 AoE and causes enemy units within melee striking range to have their attacks slowed by 10%/15%/.../35%. If there are sleeping units within the (slowing) range of this spell 7/13/.../38HP are drained per second, per unit, but the DLs health cannot be restored over 65%. (The spell shouldn't stop damaging units when HP reaches 65%)

2nd; Mana shield style - Nightsky Barrier Creates a magic-absorbing barrier around the DL, if any enemy casts a spell on the DL, he gains half mana equal to the amount required to cast the spell and the damage is reduced by 10/16/.../40% (non-stackable with magic damage reducing items), but any physical damage caused to the DL drains 12/9/7/6/4.75/4 mana per point of damage.

Talents

Moonlight Curse:
Double Dealing - Causes the curse to have a 25%/35%/50% chance to randomly generate an extra curse effect on the targets. (Reduced armour, reduced attack speed, short charm effect, polymorph)

P.S. Almost done with the other hero. It's a fun one 8D.

EDIT: Balanced the spells a little, removed moonlight curse.
Last edited by Pheonick on November 9th, 2006, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I feel...zomg.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#9 Post by Tehw00tz »

Gah double posted, deletethis post please.
Last edited by Tehw00tz on November 7th, 2006, 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#10 Post by Tehw00tz »

Tehw00tz wrote:
StealthOfKing wrote:How do you attack him to wake him with other heroes? And this raises the problem he can still be hit with spells and other heroes boasting a magical attack.
Tehw00tz wrote:modify an ethrereal state to make the hero only attackable by the passive moon flecthing
Next time, look over the posts more carefully.

Nightsky Barrier+Orb of Magi+Crystall Staff=Invunerablity to spells and damage.
Last edited by Tehw00tz on November 7th, 2006, 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Hammel
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by Hammel »

All of the realizations have their issues...

Moonlight curse=bad, because it would add the affected units to an array, and to check for the sleep, it would be "a unit attacks" or "a unit deals damage"... unfortunately, some hundred units attack every second (well, maybe not so many, but still enough).

Nightsky Barrier: Imba, totally disables DW, Aero and any other caster.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#12 Post by Pheonick »

Modified my spells and removed the AoE curse.

Btw, in case there might've been confusion, physical damage drains mana and deals actual damage aswell with Nightsky Barrier meaning Infil > nightsky barrier. Probably Gravel too. Ooo and Swashie!

Monkeyness.

I feel...zomg.

StealthOfKing
Wanderer
Wanderer

#13 Post by StealthOfKing »

Tehw00tz wrote:
Tehw00tz wrote:
StealthOfKing wrote:How do you attack him to wake him with other heroes? And this raises the problem he can still be hit with spells and other heroes boasting a magical attack.
Tehw00tz wrote:modify an ethrereal state to make the hero only attackable by the passive moon flecthing
Next time, look over the posts more carefully.

Nightsky Barrier+Orb of Magi+Crystall Staff=Invunerablity to spells and damage.
Firstly:
StealthOfKing wrote:How do you attack him to wake him with other heroes?
If you were wanting to mimic a sleep state with a modified stun you would not be able to wake him up. I understood that the whole point of Moonfletcher was that it didn't wake up the target. If the target could not be woke up by any hero the ability becomes obsolete and the sleep is just a stun.

Secondly:
I read past that because it can't be done. Maybe through changes in classification you could make the spell only target units that are asleep but it would still help very little. And that's not what you said is it.

StealthOfKing
Wanderer
Wanderer

#14 Post by StealthOfKing »

Had an idea, you can detect turning on/off an autocast then add an orb ability to detect the casting of an attack when it is turned on.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#15 Post by Pheonick »

I doubt anyone cares about this hero anymore, but I'm a bit of a lazy perfectionist, therefore; update. Also I've almost started work again on the hero i was talking about for Undead and an Undead Merc Hero! Monkeys.

I feel...zomg.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#16 Post by Tehw00tz »

What if you could use the moon flecthing sleep thing as making your allies allied to the target* for the duration of the sleep?

Edit*
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP