"Captain" spawns

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
The_White_Crane
Wanderer
Wanderer

"Captain" spawns

#1 Post by The_White_Crane »

I don't know how well this would work, but what if one spawn in every wave was given an Aura that boosted the damage of all nearby allies by... Let's say ten.
It would add a bit more strategy for heroes, since you'd need to take them down quickly so that your spawns could steamroller them, and you'd want to try and heal your own Captain. What do you think?

ashwa
Visitor
Visitor

#2 Post by ashwa »

yeah that sounds interesting, add some elite options for the creeps

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

#3 Post by Elle »

Sounds interesting.. would like to see it more on Mercenaries though. A different Aura with each set or Mercs.

And maybe, if possible, randomly spawn a "Captain" in normal waves.. like a medium % chance of it spawning.

The_White_Crane
Wanderer
Wanderer

#4 Post by The_White_Crane »

Hmmm. Yeah, it might be better if sometimes one wave had a captain and the other teams' didn't. Then you'd have to make sure to defend that lane personally, since the creeps would be stronger...

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Hm, Elle, on the mercs. Perhaps the 1st level mercs can give a small attack speed bonus, the second would give a Brilliance Aura effect, and the third level would be a damage bonus of, say, 20? (Subject to modifcation on how much attack speed, mana regen, and damage bonus.)

On the idea itself, I like the idea of elite spawns. Maybe have a % chance to replace a regular unit with an Elite spawn? (If that's not what you said, I got the impression yours would add to the wave, not replace a unit.) Heck, the Elves' units would already exist, just act as though the unit had been Promoted. (Random Swordsman turns into Squire, Archer to Hunter, etc.)
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by mianmian »

Random spawns arnt a good idea, it can really fuck someone over, bad.

Spawns dont really need mana regen, and most heroes its a non-issue too.

So, something different for the tier 2 mercs? :P
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Furion
Resident
Resident

#7 Post by Furion »

maybe add something similar to the mercs
you buy it a castle (sth like the promote spell) and the next wave that spawns gets a commander or even stronger units..maybe
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#8 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Mian, yea, you're right, mana regen wouldn't help much. Maybe an increased spell damage then, by a slight percent? I know the tier 2s tend to cast Chain Lightning...

As for the random spawn thing, I'd suggest a trigger that starts it off at, say, 10 (I'm just using this number as an example) minutes into the game or something. Rethinking my 'Promoted Units' idea earlier, just add a Critical Strike ability to the unit and a small damage increase aura affecting creeps only? It'd be better, but not insurmountably so. And 10 min into the game would make it so that the teams are relatively well established.

Furion, I can see that being a huge make-or-break. IE, the Infiltrator's mine farms. She gets a bunch of money from 'em, saves it, then does the 'commander/stronger unit' at every base. That'd be really nasty.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

The_White_Crane
Wanderer
Wanderer

#9 Post by The_White_Crane »

That's why it needs to be a random thing. Or one with every wave.

Furion
Resident
Resident

#10 Post by Furion »

well she could do that with the current mercs as well ...

and to prevent it from sending troops with commanders at all lanes at once you could limit them
maybe send them only from your main castle to a choosen lane
while max 2 or 3 at once are allowed

-Artanis

The_White_Crane
Wanderer
Wanderer

#11 Post by The_White_Crane »

Better idea: They automatically come with every tenth wave from a top-tier town hall.

Furion
Resident
Resident

#12 Post by Furion »

that would be good, so its not to random and it still cant overwhelm since its only all ten waves, what would (despite the spawn timer is set to 5 secs) take some time

but how strong would you suggest the commander to be?
i mean a single unit can be taken out easy normaly

-Artanis

ashwa
Visitor
Visitor

#13 Post by ashwa »

what about making it so that it spawn from tier 2 or 3 TH's so that you get more reason to upgrade them.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#14 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Furion, take a Footman/Furbolg, add, say, 5 damage, an ability that reduces damage, and an ability that incraeses all nearby allies' damage by 5. (Doesn't target heros.) This way, the unit can be killed by hero spells, but the creep waves get a substantial bonus from keeping the Captain alive.

Furion
Resident
Resident

#15 Post by Furion »

what about making it so that it spawn from tier 2 or 3 TH's so that you get more reason to upgrade them.

that was mentioned in a post right befor, but where did it went ?_?

-Artanis

AlienFromBeyond
Resident
Resident

#16 Post by AlienFromBeyond »

ashwa wrote:what about making it so that it spawn from tier 2 or 3 TH's so that you get more reason to upgrade them.
That might be possible. I mean, I've never seen anyone upgrade bases, and doing that might make people more willing to do so.

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#17 Post by Hammel »

When the commander has as much hp as a normal unit, DW, AM and many other things would own them away, no matter what, and the system would be useless, especially when they only spawn every tenth wave. Making them too strong however could screw a whole team when they just arrive with a huge push.

What about implementing them on upgrade basis? For 700 mana (or somehing) another one spawns every X waves from a (random?) outpost. That would also enable different kinds of commanders, like a caster commander with +evoc dam aura and stronger spells, like a Tact promo sorc. Footman gives +armor, Archer commander gives +dmg to anyone, supply-commander (magical cart) gives healing (like a weak FotD), such things...

-Ham

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#18 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Alien, that'd just turn it into a race to upgrade Town Halls.

Hammel, I like the idea of different 'Captains' but where does this 700 mana come from, the Unit Upgrader? Or the hero? Or what...?

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#19 Post by Hammel »

Unit upgrade building, right. As I mentioned ^^. Since it is an overall upgrade for your army, it would fit.

Btw: Different captain types via upgrades might also lead to further specialization of upgrades used. Atm you can go for this melee up and that ranged and a caster one, with captain spawns focusing on a single type might give an advantage... depending on which upgrades they captains use and stuff and dunno ^^

-Ham

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#20 Post by CryptLord1234 »

"On upgrade basis" Made me think that it came when you did X researches.

Konnar
Regular
Regular

#21 Post by Konnar »

I like the idea of spawning stronger units every x wave. Anyone played 11th hour? every 3rd wave, the spawns would get a strong ranged unit and 5th wave 2 big bad tanks, then it would be reset.
That kind of thing would be cool and break the monotony of regular waves.

I'm thoroughly against the idea of a % chance though, as it would be based on unfair luck. I'm also against the upgrade thing, as you have enough things to do with upgrade mana as it is.

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#22 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

Konnar wrote:I like the idea of spawning stronger units every x wave. Anyone played 11th hour? every 3rd wave, the spawns would get a strong ranged unit and 5th wave 2 big bad tanks, then it would be reset.
That kind of thing would be cool and break the monotony of regular waves.

I'm thoroughly against the idea of a % chance though, as it would be based on unfair luck. I'm also against the upgrade thing, as you have enough things to do with upgrade mana as it is.
Konnar, they all hate 11H. A % chance way isn't good, as Konnar said, because of luck (unless it's a % chance for corresponding bases/lanes to spawn them)

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#23 Post by Tehw00tz »

If that tank spawns per every X wave it'd look like the map maker were doing it because DotA did it. I'm not saying thats the reason, thats how the public thinks.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Fishin4pigeon
Visitor
Visitor

#24 Post by Fishin4pigeon »

Tehw00tz wrote:If that tank spawns per every X wave it'd look like the map maker were doing it because DotA did it. I'm not saying thats the reason, thats how the public thinks.
Yeah...unfortunate but true...

Still, it's a cool idea, it'd add more variety to the map.
I shall forever continue my search for the elusive phat lewt.

StealthOfKing
Wanderer
Wanderer

#25 Post by StealthOfKing »

Make captains look like this!

Its not finished yet :S
Attachments
Teddy Furbolg
Teddy Furbolg
ss0002.jpg (65.63 KiB) Viewed 9576 times