Report bugs.
Kupownage
Wanderer
Wanderer
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Kupownage

Red drakes vs Blue Drakes?

#1 Post by Kupownage »

So, is there any particular reason that red drakes do like 19 dmg, while blu drakes do about 60? Or why red drakes have 750 hp compared to blue drakes 950? Or why red drakes have slow attack speed vs blue drakes average attack speed?

Just played 1.12c4 for the first time, and I found this to be pretty imbalanced. The other team just stacked drakes, and we had nothing to fight back with, as our drakes couldn't take their 2 to 1. I'm mostly curious as to why the building tooltip for red drakes lists them at 69-75 dmg but, they in fact do less then 20.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Red drakes vs Blue Drakes?

#2 Post by DarnYak »

Because i wanted to change drakes becuase i'm sick of them getting massed, but i didn't want to screw them all up at once with bad changes, so Red Drakes became the experimental one. Red Drakes were picked because I feel Orc has the strongest anti-air standard units (Kodos and Statues)

Under the changes they do AoE damage, but at the moment it either doesn't do anything or isn't nearly strong enough.

DarnYak

Luftwaffles
Communist
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#3 Post by Luftwaffles »

I think you one way you can address the mass drake problem without nerfing them to hell is to make it so you get exp and gold off of Drakes (like between 40-60).
- Luftwaffles

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#4 Post by Tehw00tz »

That sounds good enough.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#5 Post by DarnYak »

Bad idea. It'd be obscure to people that dont know that it's the only spawn type that helps your enemy. It wouldn't be obvious either. Worse, the effect on game wouldn't be immediate or obvious either - people would just be "hey why is the other team higher level/with more items" or even just able to spam more mercs.

DarnYak

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#6 Post by Luftwaffles »

Well then perhaps have it so that if you put more than 3 you'll get gold for killing them or something.

If you nerfbat Drakes too hard then no one will want to build them anyway and at the moment that have no real niche so no real chance for survival. They just kick ass everywhere. Red Drakes also aren't usually worth building and are an example of when you nerfbat them too hard -.-
- Luftwaffles

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#7 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

Yak has never failed us thus far, and I have every faith he'll do just fine in addressing the "drake" issue.

/Nuff said. Now get out there and play some EotA.

America!

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#8 Post by Tehw00tz »

We waited 2 and a half years for 1.11

That was kinda a let down.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#9 Post by jamn455 »

Which was the letdown? The wait or 1.11?
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Kupownage
Wanderer
Wanderer

#10 Post by Kupownage »

Mmkay, I was just curious as to whether there was a reason for red team losing every single game. Getting donkey punched by blue drakes is not fun.

Ya'know you could just remove drakes entirely? Thus removing the need to balance them at all. While at the same time removing a really lame unit!

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#11 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

I don't see how you can manage to loose every game. I would also venture to say it's far more influenced by players than anything else, drakes included. That doesn't mean they don't need some tweaking, but there are several other, more pressing issues to deal with then drakes: hero balances, new heroes, Kedge/Gloom revamp, the dispell system, etc.
Ya'know you could just remove drakes entirely? Thus removing the need to balance them at all. While at the same time removing a really lame unit!
I suppose you could, but then that would be the excuse in every additional issue, now wouldn't it? "Neph's OP again, remove him!"

And drakes are cool. And if you can't manage to shake a few I don't know what to tell you...

America!

Kupownage
Wanderer
Wanderer

#12 Post by Kupownage »

You realize that in this version, red drakes are a little less then 1/5 as powerful as blue drakes right? And if they spam the blue drakes, you can't out-creep them, it's not possible, unless by chance the other team is absolutely TERRIBLE at AOS games. Thus far I've yet to play against a team that had more then 2 bad players (and my team had a leaver and a guy who sucked). We were owning them on a hero to hero basis, but we couldn't outcreep them because of how much weaker red drakes are, kthx.

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo

#13 Post by GeneralFunk »

Introduce cost variance, simple as that. <_<

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#14 Post by Luftwaffles »

That would take Yak changing the way that tower cores work. Which may or may not be a bad thing.
- Luftwaffles

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#15 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

I like the tower cores how they are now. Cost system would just promote imbalance among the spawns.

I like that each spawn has a counter.
I miss EotA :(

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#16 Post by Luftwaffles »

I like the tower cores how they are now. Cost system would just promote imbalance among the spawns.
I like that each spawn has a counter.
While I'm not jumping all over a cost system this doesn't at all put up anything good against it. A cost system would not "promote imbalance among the spawns". Some spawns are inherently more useful then other spawns and not every spawn has a direct counter with another spawn =S. If anything, a cost system just addresses the problem with Drakes; in that Drakes are almost more useful then any other spawn (there are exceptions, but they are few).
- Luftwaffles

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo

#17 Post by GeneralFunk »

For flyers there's a very thin line between too weak and too strong, it's just easier to make cost conform to their function.

DiscombobuIator
Visitor
Visitor

#18 Post by DiscombobuIator »

Dark_Nemesis wrote:Yak has never failed us thus far, and I have every faith he'll do just fine in addressing the "drake" issue.

/Nuff said. Now get out there and play some EotA.
If by "not failing" you mean "not doing much", then yeah, he's never failed us.