Hero Idea: Hellion

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

Hero Idea: Hellion

#1 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Hero Name: Kuolema (Finnish for death, yea I'm cool)

Kuolema the Hellion is the conjuration of the thoughts of the Pit Lord King. A violent mix of death and fire give Kuolema a wide variety of advantages and disadvantages over the enemy depending on his state.

Model: Semitransparent Blood Mage
Range: Low (450 game units)
Strength: Very Low
Agility (Primary): High
Intelligence (Skill Primary): High

Kuolema's mana never increases; always stays maxed out at 1000, and has a mana regeneration rate of 10/s, which can change with his abilities.

Innate: Wisp of Fire (stack) (1s cd) (1000 mana) Casting this ability creates a small tuft of fire which floats near Kuolema until used. A max of 3+HeroLevel/10 wisps can be surrounding Kuolema at a time. Each wisp reduces the Hellion's mana regeneration rate by 1/s while it surrounds him.

1: Fireball (active) (1s cd) (0 mana) Casting this ability launches a wisp of fire at target enemy unit, dealing (50?)+(AbilityLevel*10?)+(Intelligence/2?) damage with limited homing (up to 500 game units?) And knocking back the target with a small amount of power.

2: Veil of Flame (switch) (Instant cd) (0 mana) Turns on or off the veil which organizes the flame wisps into a circle around Kuolema, dealing intelligence based damage to those in melee range of him. The veil radius slowly expands and contracts, allowing the Hellion a small amount of time to move while enabled without taking damage from his own veil. While enabled the Hellion's mana regeneration rate is reduced by 2/s. Levels increase veil damage, reduce damage taken.

3: Phoenix Birth (active) (60 second cd) (0 mana) Begins rapidly healing the Hellion over 2+(NumberOfWisps) seconds, healing intelligence/ability level based damage every second. After the first 2 seconds, a wisp is used (killed) for each set of 2 seconds. The hellion is significantly slower during the process, and will dispel if attacked.

4: Vanish in Flames (active) (60 second cd) (0 mana) The hellion disappears and 1+(NumberOfWisps) mirror images appear, attacking in different directions. For 15 seconds the hellion may accept the consequences of any one image and embody it. Images deal 10%+AbilityLevel% damage and take 50% extra. When the Hellion chooses one to embody, the other images disappear. Creating the images reduces the wisp count to 0.

Ultimate: Pit Lord Embodiment (channeling) (120 second cd) (0 mana) The hellion uses all his wisps in the creation of a pit lord. The pitlord has 0 agility and intelligence, but 50*WispNumber+HellionInt strength. The Pit Lord can be used as long as the Hellion continues channeling, and has the abilities:

A: Reign of Fire (active) (30 second cd) (0 mana) Creates AbilityLevel waves of falling fire that do not need to be channeled. Units hit by the fire take a small DoT.
B: Uncontrollable Trample (active) (30 second cd) (0 mana) Begins sliding in the facing direction, ignoring unit pathing, bouncing off walls and destructables, and dealing HellionInt based damage when running over units. Slide distance is constant?
C: Cleave (passive stack) The Pit lord deals x% cleave damage in a wide area where x is the number of times he's been hit in the last 2 seconds multiplied by 3.
D: ReEmbrace (active) (no cd) (0 mana) Dies instantly, returning the (wisp count used for his creation multiplied by his hit point percentage) wisps back to the Hellion.

If the Pit Lord Dies or the Hellion stops channeling, the Hellion is slowed by 25% for 30 seconds. The Pit Lord's health regeneration ignores any health increasing effects and does not heal over time.

Disadvantages:
*Another really complicated hero to code (I'll do it for you if you have jasshelper :))
*Another really complicated hero for newbies to WANT to try.
*Will take a lot of balancing.

Talents:
Soul Wisp (x% chance to create a flame wisp on kill)
Veil Power (Increases range of radius change for veil, and increases rate of flame wisp rotation)
Phoenix Fire (Reduces the speed reduction given by Phoenix Birth)
Vanish Control (Increases the amount of time the Hellion has to choose which image to swap with during Vanish in Flames)
Power to the Pit lord (Gives the Pit Lord +x damage while near(how near?) the Hellion.)
Last edited by Cokemonkey11 on July 7th, 2009, 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I miss EotA :(

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

Re: Hero Idea: Hellion

#2 Post by Reaper »

I would give him a shot
[Reaper]

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict

#3 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Great success!

Edit: Some people have been telling me that a minute 40 seconds is WAY too long to even be able to use basic skills. And that makes perfect sense.

Perhaps triple the standard mana recharge rate and double the reductions?

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#4 Post by Dekar »

Maybe change the complete mana system?

All you use his mana for, is to replace the cooldown timer on his innate with a dynamic cooldown timer.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Not sure why that would matter. I specifically made it this way so mana was no object in the sense that you're thinking.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#6 Post by Dekar »

You could as well make the innate a passive and create the wisps automatically, as there is no reason why you wouldnt want to immediately cast it.
Therefor it is a stupid skill in its current form.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

That's a good point. Perhaps then mana should have another use as you said. That way they may have a reason not to create the wisp knowing there will be a reduced mana regen rate.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#8 Post by DarkNemesis »

Disadvantages:
*Another really complicated hero to code (I'll do it for you if you have jasshelper )
*Another really complicated hero for newbies to WANT to try.
*Will take a lot of balancing.
haha, you can say that again!

My thoughts...

Very unique idea, I'd say run with it. However, as you stated, this guy seems very confusing, and I am still stumped on the whole mana thing, is it like close to Requiems concept?

Also, I love VIF, awesome skill! Can't wait to play this guy!

Side note: You're inspiration (imo) seemed to draw from the Wc3 lore, specially Kael and his Blood elves in Outlands. Would it be safe to say that much? Not that that's a bad thing, on the contrary, I think it's very neat. 8)

Awesome ideas, Coke :wink:

Edit: Viewing the stats has me a little concerned though. A high Int/Agi gain could lead to OP PK'ing. Yes, he has low str gain, but a simple +3 health orb would totally nulify that, or even worse, a mixed skill orb + plate helm X_x. I think you need to be VERY careful when mixing stats like that. A high speed, high dmg nuker is just spelling disaster.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Glad you like. I don't know much about wc3 lore other than from the campaign, which I played about 10 years ago. I was making a (poor) attempt at tying into eota lore (which i've never even read before).

I agree there needs to be a lot of changing as far as stats. Currently wisps take forever to come by, and a lot of spells just use them all, making him a very slow hero to use in terms of spells, but at the same time I don't want him to be a very competitive straight forward fighter.

I also submit these ideas with full knowledge that any or all parts could be liked/disliked and ofc I wouldn't mind if someone thought of a replacement skill or change in mana system.

I went with the mana system idea because I know there are heroes that already use a modified mana system so I figured yak was using a library that would simplify the process of this mana system (although now I feel stupid for assuming that)