Random Creep Drops

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Rockness
Visitor
Visitor
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Rockness
Ignastio

Random Creep Drops

#1 Post by Rockness »

Okay, my idea is to add drops to the creeps, for instance for every 50 creeps that die 1 will drop a random item, these numbers are just examples, frequency can clearly be adjusted so as to have more or less drops.

Possible items could be:
Gold Coins (Gives a gold bonus)
Crystals (Gives a crystal bonus)
Drake Eggs (Summons a dragon)
Skulls (Summons a skeleton)

Basically the items would spawn randomly from the corpses of fallen creeps and clicked on (much like coins from Pilfer).

The idea is to promote killing in general as well as to encourage lane control, basically the more time one spends in combat the more rewards they will receive (theoretically, clearly it's random).

Anyhow, let me know what you think of the idea.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Re: Random Creep Drops

#2 Post by DarkNemesis »

I don't know about this idea, I'm all for getting more gold, crystal, xp, etc :D But the reasoning behind this seems unnecessary. I mean, isn't it basically the whole while on the battlefield to kill creeps/hero to acquire more xp, gold, crystal, etc?

I don't get the reasons here. Other then the fact that is just another way of giving rewards to the heroes, in which case, meh, I guess so...
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Rockness
Visitor
Visitor
Battle.net name: Rockness
Ignastio

#3 Post by Rockness »

Basically it's one more thing to watch out for.

It's beneficial when you are farming uncontested in a lane.

It gives teams a reason to keep their forces spread out (ie. if they put 3 heroes in the middle they have less of a chance to get drops).

It's a good way to earn for the heroes that don't excel at creep killing.

Drops could provoke fights, for instance 2 enemy heroes are battling for a lane, a gold coin drops, one rushes for it, the other capitalizes on the opportunity & attacks, knowing where he is headed.

Besides, the Potato of Apocalypse is already out there, that's what gave me the idea in the first place.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#4 Post by CryptLord1234 »

I can see a couple problems here, and will comment on them. . .
Rockness wrote:It gives teams a reason to keep their forces spread out...
From my experience, in most AoS games, people who play the game, do so for themselves. For instance, only when I was playing with a friend over Ventrilo did I see any coordination (Echo + AoO = WTF?! GG!). That leads me to believe that most players play solo, so if it suddenly turns into a "Omfg he could steal my item!" type of thing, yes, teams would spread out -- almost to the point of paranoia. I think it would be a little too extreme.
Rockness wrote:It's a good way to earn for the heroes that don't excel at creep killing.
Maybe, maybe not, but wouldn't the heroes who DO excel at creep killing to do far and away better than those who don't? Most heroes who have AoEs, gain the ability to one-shot waves with a single shot of it (Divine Wizard comes to mind.) So you're taking, say, Fenris, who can't really kill multiple mobs, and letting him kill a single one, whereas Divine Wizard can walk up, one-shot an entire wave, and not only get the money from killing them, but have the possibility of getting something else? I mean, DW has 10-ish kills there, so if the counter is anywhere within 10 kills of dropping an item, it will drop for him.

I guess, yes, it would make life easier for those who don't excel at creep killing, but those who do would gain an even bigger benefit.

Just my $0.02
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

BustroQuick
Battle.net name: googlypoo

#5 Post by BustroQuick »

I've never been fond of the potato because of its spontaneity. Adding elements of chance to a game so focused on tactics seems, at least to me, like a step in the wrong direction.

Casval
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Casval

#6 Post by Casval »

BustroQuick wrote:I've never been fond of the potato because of its spontaneity. Adding elements of chance to a game so focused on tactics seems, at least to me, like a step in the wrong direction.
I agree here.

Spreading out, I think, would actually be counterproductive to the way EotA works, which is more focused on pushing anyway as opposed to DotA-style 1v1 laning situations. And Perhaps and Something alerted me to the fact that XP is shared 100% between allies as well, which is clearly an ode to multiple hero laning.

Also, certain heroes would have an advantage. Fliers have no pathing, so they can grab every item. Blinkers would also get them all. Melee heroes would be at a severe disadvantage--they might get an item, but chances are, if they're fighting a ranged hero, they'd lose a big chunk of HP. This isn't a "do or don't" situation in that case--it's a simple don't, because as it is, ranged heroes can already attack melee without fear of repercussion from mobs.

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#7 Post by Kalrithus »

You suffer an xp Penalty when there are 3 or more heroes in a lane iirc. But multiple hero pushing can work marvelously when executed properly.

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#8 Post by Discombobulator »

Kalrithus wrote:You suffer an xp Penalty when there are 3 or more heroes in a lane iirc.
This. 2 heroes in a lane get 100% each, 3 get less.
I'm this forum's MVP.

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by mianmian »

I dislike this idea. Random drops are not cool. My main example? Some talents have a odd cost (i.e not multiple of 10) so lest say Bob's team gets 1 PK and he finds some crystals from spawns. Bam he gets Uber Talent X. How is that fair? It's not its completely random.
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Darkblade
Visitor
Visitor
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Darkblade[RotN]

#10 Post by Darkblade »

mianmian wrote:I dislike this idea. Random drops are not cool. My main example? Some talents have a odd cost (i.e not multiple of 10) so lest say Bob's team gets 1 PK and he finds some crystals from spawns. Bam he gets Uber Talent X. How is that fair? It's not its completely random.
Wait... are you saying that's the reason talents have an odd cost? Because it sounds like you're saying you can get uber talents for less than or equal to 10 crystal, which is something you disapprove of. I can't think of any uber talents anyways TBH.

Randomness would be more welcome in a quirky map, but as EotA is based on tactics I don't think it would mesh well.

mianmian
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by mianmian »

I'm saying that some talents cost over 10, so with crystal drops and just 1 PK they could get it. Some examples are Shardlings and HotM talents.

Scarabs lifewave talent (first level costs 8 I believe) is another good example.
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#12 Post by Kalrithus »

I can't think of any uber talents anyways TBH.
The aforementioned shardlings talent is probably the most uber one in the game as they can utter demolish bases in a short time if you stack even ~4 of them. There are others but this is the one that sticks out :twisted: