Note to Darn Yak: New map wanted! Ideas/Suggestions

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Note to Darn Yak: New map wanted! Ideas/Suggestions

#1 Post by DarkNemesis »

I would like to see a desert style map sometime in EotA. I don't know if Yak as any plans to add additional maps, but if he does, why not a hot climate one?

Or even a another frozen one. Yes, I remember the first Stormwail, and miss it.

Just a suggestion to Yak.

Suggestion for desert map:

The Blazing Core
Hellfire Canyon

or frozen map:

Icewind Flats
The Frozen Eternal
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Leek
Resident
Resident
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Leek

Re: Note to Darn Yak: New map wanted! Ideas/Suggestions

#2 Post by Leek »

IIRC I believe Yak doesn't like desert terrain, he finds it extremely bland. Kedge is already pretty sandy. I also believe Yak mentioned that if there was a new map it would be Felpine Forest (I could be mistaken here, its been years).

I will add that desert/frozen desert tend to make for boring terrain, vegetation would almost need to be required.

Personally if we had another one, I would like a more indoors-y kind of look, like one side infiltrating a huge fortress through underground tunnels or something.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

Its kinda limited by the tilest, although I'm not sure how much is possible with editors that remove limits on the tilesets. Last map isn't coming untill Kedge and Gloom are more acceptable.

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#4 Post by DarkNemesis »

Leek wrote:IIRC I believe Yak doesn't like desert terrain, he finds it extremely bland. Kedge is already pretty sandy. I also believe Yak mentioned that if there was a new map it would be Felpine Forest (I could be mistaken here, its been years).

I will add that desert/frozen desert tend to make for boring terrain, vegetation would almost need to be required.

Personally if we had another one, I would like a more indoors-y kind of look, like one side infiltrating a huge fortress through underground tunnels or something.
wow, never thought of that, but yes, a larger, more complex version of candle would certainly be cool.

Yeah, vegetation could become scarce. Though you could, for the frozen idea, use blue crystals? kinda like in gloom? Maybe.

Felpine Forest? Is that anything like Stormwail???
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by Perhaps »

With exception of adding orc, at least you're somewhat holding a fort and trying to fix shit before adding shit. 1.10 is the last version I could somewhat consider stable. >_>

Any tiles applied to the tileset's cliffs cannot be changed/removed in any editor. I think every tileset has two cliff textures that can't be removed taking 3 tile spaces. Which you get a space of 10 to play with. I haven't exactly counted all the tile types that EotA uses. >_>

This is not something a human would want to spend the time doing, but you CAN bypass the tile limit by placing them with triggers.
GUI wrote:Environment - Change terrain type at (Point) to Terrain Type using variation integer in an area of size integer and shape shape
Jass wrote:call SetTerrainType( real x, real y, integer terrainType, integer variation, integer area, integer shape )

Mills
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by Mills »

Leek wrote:I also believe Yak mentioned that if there was a new map it would be Felpine Forest (I could be mistaken here, its been years).
Felpine Grove is to replace Stormwail Peak, not be an additional map.
WikiArticle wrote:History

Felpine, the ancient land where Deinnov first corrupted the orcs to turn them to their demonic ways. What new mysteries does this land hold and why do the High Elves, United Creeps, and Grim Brigade regard it with such importance? Are they trying to stop a new faction from re-emerging into the EotA universe? Maybe some vital information on the artifact is locked away with these demonic creatures. Only time will tell the full story of this corrupted land and what other kind of horrors will further plunge the land into chaos.

Mechanics

All normal spawn towers will be removed and instead replaced by Fel Orc spawn towers. In order to build one of these you have to free a Fel Orc General from his imprisonment in the woods and bring him back to your side. Generals will not go easy and it is advised that you bring arcane wagons to hold them for their journey. Once capturing a General you will be able to build his specific spawn tower once every 10 minutes. The more generals you have the harder they will be to contain, so make sure to watch them closely before they wreck havoc in your base!

Map Layout

Felpine will consist of two lanes each going around the outside border of the map. The center of the map will be a dense forest where you will be able to find certain Fel Orcs being held captive by the trees themselves. There will be 20 total spawning locations of these Fel Orcs, with only 10 being used within a single game. Inside the other 10 locations will be the artifact items normally found in the market place. There will be no direct paths throughout the trees and line of sight will be short, the perfect condition for ambushing people, or even getting lost. No saying what other surprises the trees also have in store for wandering heroes.

Generals and Spawn Types

Info coming soon.

New Heroes

Even more info coming soon.

Setokaiva
Resident
Resident
Battle.net name: Setokaiva

#7 Post by Setokaiva »

A desert might be a good idea. When i think of a desert in a high fantasy world, i think a place where there was once some kind of great civilization that got wiped out by something, and there's a lot of old artifacts and ruins around.
BOOOHNE~STORRRRRRRRM

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#8 Post by Dekar »

The problem with desert is, that it would need new tiles and there is no space for it. And Yak doesnt want to make the map more unstable by bypassing that limit etc. .
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by DarkNemesis »

Dekar wrote:The problem with desert is, that it would need new tiles and there is no space for it. And Yak doesnt want to make the map more unstable by bypassing that limit etc. .
Why can't he just do something remotely similar to the desert maps on the normal games? Or the campaigns with Rexxar whatever?

I don't see how a desert map should/would be a problem overall, why any more so then Storm or Gloom?

I think a desert map would be good.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#10 Post by Tehw00tz »

Because he's making the map use another tileset. Usually custom games are allowed only one tileset, and like Dekar said, the addition of another tileset would make the game more unstable. And if yak used the current tileset to make a desert map it would just look weird.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

Just for reference, here's a ssample of desert terrain that took me 5 mins to make (using eota's current tileset)
desert test.jpg
Its not the best looking thing ever, but it was only a few mins of screwing around. Hard for deserts not to be bland, especially in wc3. Closest thing to a desert wc3 has is barrens, and that's not a true desert. There's a severe lack of desert doodads for this reason. Hell, there's a lack of barrens doodads, basicly just rocks.

Any future map is almost guarunteed to be a forest / valley. Stormwail is high mountains, gloom is swamp, kedge is beach, candle is town..while they all have trees, none of them are a true forest.

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#12 Post by DarkNemesis »

Actually, to be honest DarnYak, considering how much time you put into that example, it looks quite good.

In any event, I would still love to see a desert map in Eota. though a forest one sound even better! :D

So were you referring to Felpine Grove then? I swear DarnYak, your more secretive than a cockroach? That sounded like a bad analogy. Damn, well, your too secretive. Tell us, tell us, please! Anything!

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#13 Post by Tehw00tz »

DarkNemesis wrote:your more secretive than a cockroach?

lol
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#14 Post by jamn455 »

That picture is of Kedge, with a few cacti and desert plants added.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#15 Post by jamn455 »

Setokaiva wrote:A desert might be a good idea. When i think of a desert in a high fantasy world, i think a place where there was once some kind of great civilization that got wiped out by something, and there's a lot of old artifacts and ruins around.
Oh god, a Yugioh fag.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#16 Post by DarkNemesis »

Jamn you damn hypocrite, don't double post. :wink: :D

[Reaper] Yeah, homo, don't doublepost. I didn't even single post for this

Waki_Miko
Visitor
Visitor

#17 Post by Waki_Miko »

Setokaiva wrote: tl;dr yugioh.
Maybe throw in a Shai-Hulud Sandworm that gobbles up heroes and units when there are too many on the sand. Unless you're a Fremen native, of course, in which case you should be able to call and ride it.

And a Mythallar huge crystal orb lying around a floating city wreck that makes spellcasters more and more inanely powerful the closer they get to it, kills anyone who gets too near it, and causes a devastating explosion when destroyed.

How about some Simoun helical motor aircraft that can only be piloted by two GID miko heroes? This aircraft should be able to perform Ri Mājons draw patterns in the sky by moving around, with effects (success factor is based on how accurate your pattern is) from time-travel, explosions, acceleration, nothing, etc..

On a more serious note, I think an underground cavern (where Air movement is restricted and where it is always dark), would be more interesting than an open desert map.
Deserts are naturally bland with lots of open space, so I doubt it's such a good idea to incorporate such features into a map.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#18 Post by Perhaps »

の共鳴!!!

Highlord Asehujiko
Wanderer
Wanderer

#19 Post by Highlord Asehujiko »

Making an restricted flight map is going to prompt a huge swarm of people complainting that Asc/Hag is useless. A desert map could be made to look good by adding a yellowish/orange filter to the camera because the current sample looks kinda greenish. Also, if Yak uses triggers for terrain to exeed the limit, will stormwail be snowy once again?

Who said that a desert map has to include nothing but sand? The fight could involve an important ruin where the artifact might have been burried and only have sand arround the outer lanes while the middle of the map consists largely of buildings. Most real life mountains are alot more bland then stormwail too.