[Elves] Ghim Bronzehammer--Guard of the Mountain

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

[Elves] Ghim Bronzehammer--Guard of the Mountain

#1 Post by DarkNemesis »

Ghim Bronzehammer
Guard of the Mountain

Model: Zeus or Blackguard model
Faction: Elves

Strength 24 (2.45)
Intelligence 15 (1.4)
Agility 15 (1.4)

Armor 18
Attack 57-68

[Innate]-passive
Men of the Hall
Adds 20% of Ghim’s armor to his attack but reduces AS by same amount.

Dwarven Gold
When next attacked, Ghim drops some of his gold (he’s a Dwarf, so it’s a lot!), scattering coins around the hero and dealing x (Int) dmg in an AoE. Enemy hero’s who pick up the gold are awarded twice the normal amount dropped, but have an x percent chance to be stunned randomly for 0.5-4 sec. If Ghim attempts to garner coins, he is healed for x (Str) amount per coin collected. Amount lost while DG is activated is equal to 33% of Ghim’s total amount of gold, or looses 100 gold if total amount is under 200.

[Talent] Greed of the Dwarves
Reduces amount lost to: 30/27/24/20% and gives a 2/3/5/7% chance for coins to become corrupted, reducing enemy hero’s armor by 10 for 15 sec.

Encouraging Brilliance
Summons a ruby gem, healing friendly units for x (Int) of total health. Also grants units a small boost in AS and MS.

[Talent] Replenishing brilliance
Adds a further healing effect to EB and also replenishes mana equal to same amount of health restored.

Fists of Steel
Throws a hammer at an enemy hero, attempting to stun or waylay him. Deals x (Str) dmg or stuns for 0.5/0.9/1.3/1.7/2.2/2.5 sec.

Stomp
Slams the ground, negating all channeling effects and heals/buffs. Also reduces enemy’s MS by x percent for every buff removed and awards Ghim y armor for every debuff removed and attempts to steal z gold from hero.

Belt of the King
Awards all surrounding units a x% boost armor and gives them y additional attack, but taking half of amount awarded from AS.

[Talent]Ghosts of the Mountain
Gives a small percent chance for units affected by BOTK to be risen as a dwarf Warrior to fight for Ghim
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

Re: [Elves] Ghim Bronzehammer--Guard of the Mountain

#2 Post by Reaper »

The skills are pretty unoriginal, and fists is just a storm bolt clone
[Reaper]

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#3 Post by jamn455 »

And the fact that stomp is basically thunderclap with dispel capabilities.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#4 Post by Dekar »

As general hint, do not make passives. You should have noticed that already.

Also make sure that everyone understands how exactly your skill works, e.g. Encouraging Brilliance: Does it create an item you can give away and that is consumed for a heal?
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by DarkNemesis »

Reaper wrote:The skills are pretty unoriginal, and fists is just a storm bolt clone
Really, as I have never seen any other skills even remotely similar to Dwarven Gold or MOTH. Agreed, some of the skills share similarities with others, but so do most of the EotA skills. Your argument isn't fair and doesn't help me improve this concept.
And the fact that stomp is basically thunderclap with dispel capabilities.
Not really, the only similarity is that it has a slow. And I could name several abilities that have those effects.
As general hint, do not make passives. You should have noticed that already.
This is like the ten millionth time you said that, and my response is the same: several hero's have passive abilities. Why is a crime for this hero to have one? And one that is innate btw. Its not a big deal, and I like passive abilities with certain themes, since this fits the theme, I like it.
Also make sure that everyone understands how exactly your skill works, e.g. Encouraging Brilliance: Does it create an item you can give away and that is consumed for a heal?
I was worried about the wording of this skill. Its sort of the same effect as say...Lich's alters. Summoning a "gem" instead and applying the listed effects, so on and so forth.

Don't get wrong, I appreciate all of your guy's thoughts, but saying "His skills are bland" (which, Reaper, you've done with about 80% of my hero suggestions) does help me any. Especially when its not true. Find any skill that shares major similarities with Dwarven Gold or MOTH and I will consider changing the skill.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#6 Post by Reaper »

DarkNemesis wrote:Really, as I have never seen any other skills even remotely similar to Dwarven Gold or MOTH. Agreed, some of the skills share similarities with others, but so do most of the EotA skills. Your argument isn't fair and doesn't help me improve this concept.
Men of the Hall: A passive... we don't do passives in EotA anymore. Subtracting from his attack speed doesn't make sense since this ability is on all the time neither does the bonus, for that matter. May as well just have it included in his stats. This ability makes more sense as an active, although it would still be pretty terrible at the given percent.

Dwarven gold: Hmm, where have I seen a skill that drops gold everywhere before? This is pretty similar to pilfer and the fact that you can do aoe damage and heal at the same time is pretty weird. Not to mention the fact that coins are somehow doing damage when an enemy attacks him, which doesn't make much sense.

Encouraging Brilliance: An instant AoE heal that gives back x of total health. Well, is x % or a set amount? How large is the heal, can it be stopped in some way? This description is bland.

Fists of Steel: This is an exact copy of storm bolt, and on the same model no less. This skill has been around since warcraft came out. It is trash, etc.

Stomp: You know, thunder clap is also on the mountain king in wc3, which is basically what this is. Changing the effects a little bit doesn't grant it much originality. How is he stealing gold by stomping his feet..?

Belt of the King: Pretty much abberation in an aoe. Would be an ok ult if not for that, although boring. Buffs are boring.
DarkNemesis wrote: Don't get wrong, I appreciate all of your guy's thoughts, but saying "His skills are bland" (which, Reaper, you've done with about 80% of my hero suggestions) does help me any. Especially when its not true. Find any skill that shares major similarities with Dwarven Gold or MOTH and I will consider changing the skill.
You won't find skills similar to bad skills

Major minus points for copying animations and ideas from blizzards heroes. What I said is completely true, and has nothing to do with you posting it; anyone posting an idea like this would have gotten the same reaction from me.

As Dekar said, passives are bad. Especially now, since no heroes in EotA have pure passives. You're just making this idea worse by including it.

Oh, and don't forget EotA already has a merc hero with this model.
[Reaper]

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#7 Post by Perhaps »

Well Scarab's armor is still a true passive and so is whatever Swashbuckler's innate is called, but that doesn't mean Yak doesn't want to shift out of them. Passives are generally "bleh," a waste a skill slot. I feel that the unit icon/menu slots should be full of things you can "do." Passives should only exist within multi function skills that have "active + passive," or even "active + passive + passive" or so one "active + passive +..." Also passives have now have a home that's not taking up skill slots, which is talents. On my projects I have heroes setup to man over the 7 skill limit. More active skills means more interactive, means more stimulating. But I guess that's just me who loathes even attribute bonus because that could be a cool skill to use in place.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#8 Post by DarkNemesis »

Dwarven gold: Hmm, where have I seen a skill that drops gold everywhere before? This is pretty similar to pilfer and the fact that you can do aoe damage and heal at the same time is pretty weird. Not to mention the fact that coins are somehow doing damage when an enemy attacks him, which doesn't make much sense.
Granted, slightly weird, I'll work on the finer machinations. Again, several similarities exist in EotA, since you can't seem to grasp this, I will list them, then you can argue with Yak about it.

Cure Wounds/Rapid Healing/Close Wounds (hell, the name is even similar, God forbid!) :shock:
Corona/Firestorm VERY similar abilities, both even use fire.
Practically ALL the dispells do the same thing: Dispell, should we scrap those too?
Roots/Entagling Seed
Swoop/Garg's Dive the only real difference is one moves you slightly
Lunge/Swoop (again)/Shred/Swipe

I think I'm done here...

This isn't to say my concept doesn't have problems, but again, simply discarding an idea just because its similar is ridiculous. I'll be momentarily adding "stuff" to Ghim. Thanks for the ideas and thoughts all!

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by DarkNemesis »

Oh, if you guys have some creative suggestions for skills and such, love to hear em!

Perhaps and Ion, you two especially. As I have in the past, been very pleased with your concept ideas. :P

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#10 Post by Reaper »

Those skills don't have the same animations as other skills

And you ignored the part about blizzard coming up with half your hero
[Reaper]

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#11 Post by DarkNemesis »

Animations? Doesn't make any sense, explain in greater detail please.

Again, your wrong, the only similarity to Zeus? or whatever hero your talking about is the thunderclap/stomp thing. Sorry, but that doesn't equal half. Fail.

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#12 Post by Kalrithus »

thunderclap and storm bolt, original hero name is Mountain King, did you not play the campaign at all?

Reaper
Retired
Retired

#13 Post by Reaper »

DarkNemesis wrote:your wrong
Yeah, it basically shares 2 skills, the model, and name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animation
[Reaper]

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#14 Post by DarkNemesis »

Kalrithus wrote:thunderclap and storm bolt, original hero name is Mountain King, did you not play the campaign at all?
I did, but that was a long while ago. I admit the inspiration came from Mountain King, not denying that, but Ghim is suppose to be more of a melee Tanker that damn near doesn't want to die. Rather than, say, a Int-Stregnth hero hybrid concept.

Still would love any ideas!

Work on the skills later. When I can think up some new ones. :|

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#15 Post by Kalrithus »

Hehe, not to belabor the point but if your referring to the Mountain King as an Int-Str Hybrid, well he's actually exactly what you say you want Ghim to be, a "melee Tanker that really doesn't want to die" because of his numerous stuns and Avatar abilities ^-^.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#16 Post by DarkNemesis »

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of Zeus on DotA. I donno, haven't played the campaigns or DotA in God knows how long. In that case, they both share the same concept, but then again, every tank does.