Ascendant and lane balance

Raise concerns about balance.

Moderator: Mills

Waki_Miko
Visitor
Visitor

Ascendant and lane balance

#1 Post by Waki_Miko »

When playing on Stormwail, the Ascendant has a distinct advantage when fighting in the top lane as opposed to fighting in the bottom lane, with all those tiny desolated cliffs (or pits) by the top edge of the map to drop poor, hapless heroes on, whereas you can't really do that on the bottom lane.

Whenever I play the Ascendant, I tend to favour the top lane as a result, and avoid it like the plague when going against an Ascendant.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Re: Ascendant and lane balance

#2 Post by Perhaps »

I hate to say there's not much of an advantage fighting either or unless you plan on doing a clean sweep blitz on a base. You can determine importance of a lane based on obelisks. The top and bottom lane, no obelisks, least important. Lane 2 (between top and middle) and lane 4 (between bottom and middle) have two have two obelisks, one in the field, one far away from the base of that lane, so based on side importance varies, the lane with the obelisk closer usually has a higher initial priority since the likely hood of you claiming that obelisk location and holding it are fair to hide, the other one, the obelisk is in your base so that's a pretty much guarantee, your reason for attending it would be to prevent them from building an obelisk at the one near their base. The middle is the most important of lanes, since it has two obelisks, up for grabs, and fairly easy to take and hold depending on how it's played out. Taking a top and bottom base can be beneficial, especially when you reroute them, and with only two towers are fairly easy to take down, making them an asset, but not completely important. I don't see Ascendant as a class that is good for early rushing either of the bases.

Also, if a player is smart enough to know of an ascendant that lurks, they'll keep moving around, only stopping long enough to cast before moving again. Since EotA is mostly about hero skills and rarely about attack, that's possible for most heroes to do, or of course, you can just out strength the ascendant. If completely necessary for some reason you can't find a way to prevent it from happening, you can always pack dimensional wands, or get a Zephyr Totem if attack speed really beneficial to your hero.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ascendant and lane balance

#3 Post by DarnYak »

First, nothing's expected (or suppose to be) a perfect mirror. Small tricks from differences are a good thing.

Second, the terrain is meant to be used tactically. This is such a case, granted, possibly too good.

Third, options to deal with it do exist, although i realize they might not be terribly popular.

I'll look at it, but not necessarily going to remove it.

DarnYak