Books n' Movies....

A place to talk about non-EotA-related topics.
DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Books n' Movies....

#1 Post by DarkNemesis »

Curious, anybody here read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer? (Twilight, New moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn?) Or the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini? (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr?)

I guess there is supposed to be a movie coming out soon for her books.

Saw Eragon the movie, and it sucked horribly, ripped appart the books, couldn't even get the Elf lady's hair the right color. Blah, awful.
Last edited by DarkNemesis on November 12th, 2008, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Re: Books n' Movies....

#2 Post by Tehw00tz »

DarkNemesis wrote:Or the Interitance Cycle by Christopher Paolini? (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr?)
Awwww shit.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#3 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

I know a lot of people who read the twilight series, it sounds SUPERcorny what with rapist vampire lovestories but you can't deny how many people like it so I can't really judge...
I miss EotA :(

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#4 Post by DarkNemesis »

Tehw00tz wrote:
DarkNemesis wrote:Or the Interitance Cycle by Christopher Paolini? (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr?)
Awwww shit.
Is that a yes, Tehw00tz? Or did you just see the movie?
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by DarkNemesis »

Cokemonkey11 wrote:I know a lot of people who read the twilight series, it sounds SUPERcorny what with rapist vampire lovestories but you can't deny how many people like it so I can't really judge...
Yeah, the lady has sold a ridiculous amount of copies, something like 12 million just in the United States, insane for a previous, mormon home mom. Then again, that's were J. K. Rowling started from.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#6 Post by Tehw00tz »

I said awww shit because I'm probably not the only one that read those books just to see how bad they could be.

And you spelled 'inheritance' wrong.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#7 Post by DarkNemesis »

Hmm.

Overall, I thought they were quite good. Roran is by far my favorite character.

I'll change the spelling, thanks.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#8 Post by jamn455 »

I haven't read a book since the fourth grade.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by DarkNemesis »

jamn455 wrote:I haven't read a book since the fourth grade.
Lol, what school did you go to?

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#10 Post by jamn455 »

It is called Sparknotes, your key to passing any test you have on a book.

I went to a damn good school, one that allowed me to have one and a half years of college done when I left.
Line 'em up.
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#11 Post by DarkNemesis »

Still, how the hell did you manage not to read a single book, through four years of HS, and then some college? Your one lucky bastard I'll grant you that.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#12 Post by jamn455 »

Common sense and sparknotes. You would be surprised how far common sense will get you if you have it.
Line 'em up.

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#13 Post by Storamin »

The art of racing in the rain. Great book about life...

Confessions of an economic hitman. about America keeping other nations down. I don't expect y'all to know about farm subsidies and everything public that we do to keep other nations down, but this is a lot of the undercover shit.

Freakanomics. Terrific book that shows how economics impacts everything you do in life.

Song of Ice and Fire... great novels. The greatest part is how George R R Martin was not afraid to kill of what seem like the main character, numerous times.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#14 Post by jamn455 »

I will say though the last book I read which was in fourth grade would be like Devil's Peak or something like that where there was a kid that was trying to catch a record size fish, while also trying to beat some older men which were putting mercury into the fish to make them weight more. It was an average book I'd say, it kept my attention for long enough to get through the damn thing atleast.
Line 'em up.

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#15 Post by Kibiyama »

jamn455 wrote:Common sense and sparknotes. You would be surprised how far common sense will get you if you have it.
Sparknotes, hell yeah. That shit even got me through AP Lit.

The only books I read are technical books.
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.
Tehw00tz wrote:I miss my headset. This headset only covers two of my ears.

Laser_Wolf
Regular
Regular

#16 Post by Laser_Wolf »

My sister has read the Twilight series and I have read the Inheritance books. I'm not that disappointed with the books, but at some points I just want to tell Paolini to stop trying so hard, it's killing the book. I like the story though.

And yes the movie was the worst thing I have ever seen, even as just a movie.
I go by the name of Lazar_Wolf.
I am not a tailor.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#17 Post by Soulbourne »

Hmm....Most of dragonlance series...Inheritance....Various other short series...know a few people who have severe negative reactions when hearing the twilight series mentioned...then again, one had a similar reaction when I mentioned the whole "Ancient Ogres peasants having beauty far surpassing even the elven royalty" They also had power surpassing humans and elves...by far. I think he tried to change a fact ugly ogre into such a role...and his mind hated him.

Hmm, read some other multi-series books, uhh, dragonriders of pern I think was one...that's all that comes to mind. But then again, I've got 20 years and many authors to catch up in the dragonlance series alone filling my time...and yet, still nothing to read currently.
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#18 Post by DarkNemesis »

Can anybody recommend any other good fantasy tomes? Was reading the LOTR, but left the damn book at a friend's house, oh well, there is always Artemis Fowl, I guess...

Heard some stuff about the Hobbit coming out in 2010 or 11. Even heard they rehired Jackson, thank God. The stories really wouldn't be what they are without him directing them. :P

Also heard something about Ender's game. Great book btw. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing Paolini's Eldest, though they messed up Eragon so bad don't know if they should try. Lol, get Jackson and remake em', I say! Overall, a pretty good series that has its merits.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#19 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Seconding the A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R. Martin. R.A. Salvatore's series (I don't even know what he calls the entire story arc) involving Drizzt Do'Urden is also amazing, in my opinion.
Last edited by CryptLord1234 on March 27th, 2009, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Glortex
Visitor
Visitor
Battle.net name: Glortex

#20 Post by Glortex »

Silmarillion.

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#21 Post by Kalrithus »

R.A. Salvatore has a host of books relating to Drizzt, the drow, and the forgotten realms as a whole. I recommend the Icewind Dale Trilogy to start with.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#22 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Yeah, those're some good books.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#23 Post by Reaper »

The only series worth my effort is Dark Tower by stephen king
[Reaper]