Obama Inauguration

A place to talk about non-EotA-related topics.
Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Re: Obama Inauguration

#26 Post by Tehw00tz »

I'm just going to say this, it did not matter who was going to run for the Republican party, the Democrats were going to win the election. I really still do not know what to think of Obama, but I know that personally I did not want McCain to be the one in the oval office.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by DarnYak »

So what? He got shot down and captured. What did you think was going to happen to him? Were they going to bake cookies for him, give him glasses of warm milk before bed. That was the risk he took when he joined the U.S. Armed Services. Oh and before you go YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HE WENT THROUGH, my deceased grandfather was shot down 4 times during Vietnam and he was never captured, even when he broke both of his legs and four ribs.
I think you're missing the point jamn. Leek made a comment that all McCain learnt from war was murdering people, which is completly disrespectful for what he went through. That's not to say he should be president (if so we'd have a lot more americans who should be), just that his comments were out of line.
I'm just going to say this, it did not matter who was going to run for the Republican party, the Democrats were going to win the election. I really still do not know what to think of Obama, but I know that personally I did not want McCain to be the one in the oval office.
It actually shocks me that for how much bad press the republican party has gotten over the past 4ish years that the election still came out as close as it did. And don't cite racism, sure there was a small amount of that but certainly less then the reverse racism (voting for Obama because he's black).

I'm not really a fan of McCain either, but what terrifies me is that the dems have such a strong hold on power now that they're likely to go crazy with it (and they're already talking about it). I remember seeing some quotes from them saying the republican party is now dead and its time to get rid of all conservative policies....one of them from the speaker of the house, and quite possibly the real anti-christ, Nancy Pelosi. The only way to stop them, or at least slow them down, is now Obama, and based on his history its impossible to predict what he'll do. My point being, I think its a very dangerous thing when the legislature is controlled by just short of a super majority and the president is of the same party as well, and that alone made me strongly root for McCain...had the republicans controlled the legislature asin '00, I would have supported Obama so much more.

Granted, I didn't support Al Gore, but I think he's a crazy dangerous ideological person.

DarnYak

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#28 Post by Storamin »

DarnYak wrote:
So what? He got shot down and captured. What did you think was going to happen to him? Were they going to bake cookies for him, give him glasses of warm milk before bed. That was the risk he took when he joined the U.S. Armed Services. Oh and before you go YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WHAT HE WENT THROUGH, my deceased grandfather was shot down 4 times during Vietnam and he was never captured, even when he broke both of his legs and four ribs.
I think you're missing the point jamn. Leek made a comment that all McCain learnt from war was murdering people, which is completly disrespectful for what he went through. That's not to say he should be president (if so we'd have a lot more americans who should be), just that his comments were out of line.
My point was that because McCain served in the military and was tortured during his service, he would be more hesitant to send American troops into a wartime situation. He went through a horrible situation, and because of this, I strongly believe it would influence his decision.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#29 Post by jamn455 »

He had already said that the War on Terror is a very long war and we are nowhere near the right time to leave. It is time for Americans to see that Iraq isn't going to change, it is a religious warzone now, it has been for the last centuries, and it will continue for a very long time.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#30 Post by DarnYak »

It is time for Americans to see that Iraq isn't going to change, it is a religious warzone now
Haven't been following the news for the past year? Iraq has calmed down a fuckton, now that we got Iran to stay the fuck out and changed tactics to something that works...not to mention the iraqi people being sick of it to the point they'll work with us.

DarnYak

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#31 Post by jamn455 »

The news tells the American people what they want to hear, which is not always the complete truth. We need to stop trying to fix something that is likely beyond our reach, because it is something that as Americans, we simply do not understand. As soon as our troops are pulled out and Iraq begins to run itself, it will revert back to the religious war that it has been for the longest time. The only reason it isn't as bad is because we are shooting anyone that tries to create a problem.
Line 'em up.
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#32 Post by DarnYak »

jamn455 wrote:As soon as our troops are pulled out and Iraq begins to run itself, it will revert back to the religious war that it has been for the longest time.
Obama's president now, where's the hope?

DarnYak

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#33 Post by CryptLord1234 »

While Obama's presidency doesn't necessarily mean that Iraq will be peaceful. . .There's no reason not to lose hope over the whole situation.

Also: jamn, the casualties are falling, and so are the number of monthly attacks. Granted, it won't follow a linear pattern (Sigh -- damned religious zealots and their unpredictability) but they have been falling regardless. So in this particular case, the news is correct about the facts Yak refers to.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#34 Post by DarnYak »

I should also bring up the fact that the majority of the violence was being fueled by those outside Iraq exploiting its cultural composition specificly for that result, namely al-quida and Iran. Both of those have been significantly limited over the past year, combined with us having a lot of success connecting with and working with tribal leaders on a local level, and as a result we've seen violence plumet.

There's a very real possibility of an Iraq's future that isn't a cluster fuck, if the Iraqi government isn't completely corrupt.

DarnYak

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#35 Post by jamn455 »

It may have calmed down over the past year, but remember, it only takes one attack, one bomb, one casualty to change the attitude of people.
Line 'em up.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#36 Post by DarkNemesis »

jamn455 wrote:He had already said that the War on Terror is a very long war and we are nowhere near the right time to leave. It is time for Americans to see that Iraq isn't going to change, it is a religious warzone now, it has been for the last centuries, and it will continue for a very long time.
You obviously, as DarnYak put it, haven't been keeping up the news. U.S troop deaths are at records lows, jamn, as well as iraqi civilians.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.