Betting on your team.

A place to talk about non-EotA-related topics.
Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Betting on your team.

#1 Post by Perhaps »

As a coach, betting on your team (that they'll win), without rigging anything; would you consider this wrong?

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Re: Betting on your team.

#2 Post by DarkNemesis »

Strange yes, wrong no. Of course you really can't be sure of anything, because you don't know the other team.

I often bet on EotA when I play with friends. Of course things can (and often do) change so fast my bet becomes erroneous.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

#3 Post by jamn455 »

It is wrong, if you bet a large sum of money on your team to win, you will do anything to win the bet, even put your players in serious danger.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#4 Post by Kibiyama »

A conflict of interest is the entanglement of an individual’s private interests with his or her professional obligations, such that an independent observer might reasonably question whether the individual’s professional actions or decisions are improperly influenced by considerations of personal financial gain.
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.
Tehw00tz wrote:I miss my headset. This headset only covers two of my ears.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#5 Post by DarkNemesis »

jamn455 wrote:It is wrong, if you bet a large sum of money on your team to win, you will do anything to win the bet, even put your players in serious danger.
Notice how Pehaps stated: Without it being rigged, I think that was the entire point.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#6 Post by jamn455 »

DarkNemesis wrote:
jamn455 wrote:It is wrong, if you bet a large sum of money on your team to win, you will do anything to win the bet, even put your players in serious danger.
Notice how Pehaps stated: Without it being rigged, I think that was the entire point.
Rigging a game does not mean putting your players in serious harm by making them play outside of their potential. That is just pushing them past their physical threshold because you do not want to lose money. You are not manipulating any part of the rules of the game, or the referees for that case, but you are pushing your team to a terrible extent which can destroy people's careers.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by Storamin »

Kibiyama wrote:
A conflict of interest is the entanglement of an individual’s private interests with his or her professional obligations, such that an independent observer might reasonably question whether the individual’s professional actions or decisions are improperly influenced by considerations of personal financial gain.
There are two major parts to this:

Apparent conflict of interest, or what an outside party could view as a conflict of interest, and...

Actual conflict of interest.

Betting on your team is an apparent conflict of interest. If you manipulate the game, it is then an actual conflict of interest.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#8 Post by Tehw00tz »

It's ok, unless you're playing the Detroit Lions
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Kibiyama
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by Kibiyama »

Storamin wrote:Betting on your team is an apparent conflict of interest. If you manipulate the game, it is then an actual conflict of interest.
No, conflict of interest can be the mere appearance of wrongdoing. This usually only applies to public officials and stuff, though -- people whose ethical duties rely on the trust of the people they serve. But it could apply to a coach, too. If the players stop trusting him because of this apparent conflict of interest, then he's failed them, and he's done something unethical regardless of whether it was a "true conflict of interest."
98% of all people think Perhaps is a faggot. If you are in this 98%, put this in your sig.
Tehw00tz wrote:I miss my headset. This headset only covers two of my ears.

Emufarmers
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Emufarmers

#10 Post by Emufarmers »

jamn455 wrote:
DarkNemesis wrote:
Rigging a game does not mean putting your players in serious harm by making them play outside of their potential. That is just pushing them past their physical threshold because you do not want to lose money. You are not manipulating any part of the rules of the game, or the referees for that case, but you are pushing your team to a terrible extent which can destroy people's careers.
Are you whipping them to make them run faster or something? I'm probably showing my lack of sports knowledge here, but aren't the players supposed to be giving their all anyway? It's not like there's a minefield you can order them to charge through (unless the sport is Extreme Beachead Assault).

I don't see how it's even an apparent conflict of interest: the coach's job is winning the game, which does not conflict with winning the game to win a bet.

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#11 Post by Storamin »

Kibiyama wrote:
Storamin wrote:Betting on your team is an apparent conflict of interest. If you manipulate the game, it is then an actual conflict of interest.
No, conflict of interest can be the mere appearance of wrongdoing. This usually only applies to public officials and stuff, though -- people whose ethical duties rely on the trust of the people they serve. But it could apply to a coach, too. If the players stop trusting him because of this apparent conflict of interest, then he's failed them, and he's done something unethical regardless of whether it was a "true conflict of interest."

that's what i said.

there's different types of conflict of interest.

aparant conflict of interest vs actual conlict of interest.

note the key phrase in BOTH: conflict of interest.