Week #2

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Week #2

#1 Post by DarnYak »

Not as much progress as I planned (thanks civ5!), but it's partly cause I'm taking a detour first. I've decided using the editor as-is is to akward and cumbersome and I'd rather just write my own tool to generate XML files to feed into the sc2 editor. This will PROBABLY save me time in the long run and is reusable for Twilight2. Plus I'm writing it in Python just cause I"ve never used Python and wanted some actual experience with it, so I'm also learning the language/api as I go along.

That said, I'm seriously questioning if I even want to make Twilight2 for SC2. There's too many inexplicable design decisions they made that make me feel its completley unsuited for more then really simple games closely related to melee's setup. The data editor feels like they wanted to design it to be super flexible, but then made the available peices so specific it nullifies most of the flexibility. For example, they actually added differnet types of damage (Splash, Ranged, Melee, Spell) and ways to modify them, but they didn't make them at all customizable or whatnot despite the 20 or so other custom data types. And even simple shit that you would think would be obvious to add apparently isn't doable. For example, critical strike doubling damage isnt' realistly doable in just the data editor. And blizz knows this apparently, because in a datamined version of Blizz DotA they handle crit strike through a trigger.

Speaking of triggers, I'm also dissapointed there too. WC3 late in its life added two very useful features: the ability to deal damage through a trigger, and hashtables. The former doesn't exist in SC2 so far as I can see. The later sort of exists, but in a more simplified, and hence much more limited, form that makes it useless for the tasks I was hoping for.

DarnYak

Mills
Addict
Addict

Re: Week #2

#2 Post by Mills »

+1 for Python

Executor
Regular
Regular
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Judacator

Re: Week #2

#3 Post by Executor »

I agree with you. This becomes more apparent when you play many sc2 custom games. They just don't seem to be as good as many wc3 custom maps due to some lack of customization or convenience.