Planned Evolution Development

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Planned Evolution Development

#1 Post by DarnYak »

So I've been trying to setup a way to evolve a hero that isn't an insane amount of work but still provides flexibility. It may not be what a lot of people wanted (hell it wasn't my initial plan), but the alternatives might be too insane to impliment.

Here's the planned progression:

Larva (this phase will be very short)
Zergling
Middle Tier unit based one one of the three primary stats, comes with one base skill
Pick unit specific passive
Evolve into one of the final forms (3 types for primary stats, and 3 hybrids between them), evolves previous base skill, grants 2 new actives and 2 new passives
Pick new active skill
Evolve one (or both?) of final form actives
Pick ultimate

I'm not completely set in stone on this so I'm open to suggestions if there's a realistic way to improve it.

DarnYak

mianmian
Addict
Addict

Re: Planned Evolution Development

#2 Post by mianmian »

My only worry is that being stuck in the Larva-->Zergling-->Middle Tier with only a single active skill might be a bit lame. Depends on how long it takes, I mean in AoS you only start with one skill and learn more as you go (but usually end up with a couple in short order).

Also, I like in Exodus that you almost never cap out your hero. Will it be easy to max out your hero in this?
-= I am the Grand Hammer =-
-Lithium flower

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#3 Post by Dekar »

Make sure you can create the variable skill part in the editor. You cant just add skills with a trigger like in WC3 anymore, as skillbuttons are now defined at each unit, not at the skill itself.
Its just WTF Blizz, once again! They split up weapons into 5 different modules and then this crap?

You need to add all possible skills a unit can have in the Data Editor ( limit of ~32 and I guess you can only assign one skill per position/submenu, not sure though).
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

My only worry is that being stuck in the Larva-->Zergling-->Middle Tier with only a single active skill might be a bit lame.
My goal is for it to take roughly 60 seconds to get to the middle tier phase, and then probably another 3 mins there
You cant just add skills with a trigger like in WC3 anymore, as skillbuttons are now defined at each unit, not at the skill itself.
Awesome blizz.

DarnYak

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#5 Post by Dekar »

All you need is a custom UI, I guess. :o

Luftwaffles
Communist
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#6 Post by Luftwaffles »

How long is this game going to be? Is it going to approach Exodus kind of time-limit or are we talking more a 20-30 minute timer to start.

Well, whichever imo mian has a good point. If it's possible and the game is longer than 15-20 minutes, give a second skill to the Middle tier unit, have it earn its passive then move onto the final form and gain a few more. In future versions making a choice between skills at the middle tier would be cool but I'm guessing there's more than enough on your plate atm.
- Luftwaffles

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#7 Post by Dekar »

Important: A recent exploit has been discovered: you can warp Immortals on your Warp Gates. The reason behind this is that the warp gate has the ability to create immortal but it has been removed from the Command Cards. So the only way to use it is to send crafted messages to Battle.net. You can read more about the technique thanks to progammer.

In order to fix this, Blizzard is going to remove the ability to use abilities that are not present in Command Cards. So if you are using hidden abilities, you must find another way before Blizzard releases the fix!
So instead of just removing the unused ability, a task that can be accomplished by a noob mapper in 2 minutes, they cut out everything else.