Haven and Hearth

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

Haven and Hearth

#1 Post by GeneralFunk »

I figure since the topics of Dwarven Fortress and Terraria have been brought up, I figured mentioning HnH would be apropo.

The goods:
[*]can be played with friends and such (open world)
[*]town system
[*]plot permissions (allowing to share with friends)
[*]vast land to explore and claim
[*]crafting
[*]building
[*]farming
[*]hunting
[*]item quality system
[*]stat gaining
[*]acquiring skills

The suck:
[*]permadeath
[*]occasional lag spikes
[*]official client blows (at least last time I checked)
[*]inconsistent bear aggro range capable of exceeding screen boundies (leads to bullshit deaths)
[*]lengthy character growth
[*]for crafting recipes you are required to have produced its combining elements to create (even if you have the items)

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: Haven and Hearth

#2 Post by Dekar »

You forgot the griefing.

I played this a bit with Rokhan and Blade a long time ago.

One night I set out to explore the world and to steal whatever I found that wasn't nailed down ( once again ). This was going to be my biggest coup. Going past the one or two appearently abandoned noob houses that I already cleared, I walked and shipped forever through wilderness.
I probably walked close to an hour and finally found a settlement that was pretty advanced. And nobody was there. And someone left the door open.
God I was so excited back then, I rummaged through everything to get an idea of what to steal. Then I robbed them blind.
Luckily they had left me a wagon, so I filled it up with every valueable they had and then some more crap, including a key that was intended for their Gate I suppose.
And then the dangerous trip back home began. The wagon was so fucking slow, and worse, I got lost because I didnt make any map.
I dont really remember how long it take, but its fair to say it took about 1-2 hours to meet up with Rokhan, who walked towards me. That didnt exactly improve our situation as we he didnt had a map either and the path by memory turned out to be too inaccurate to hit home. After another hour we ended up in familiar terrain though and finally made it back ( I think we made Blade login so we can get a direction arrow to our home ), and were finally able to enjoy the loot from most awesome thing I did in that stupid game. At around 2-3 in the night.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo

#3 Post by GeneralFunk »

I don't know about then verse when Something, another friend and myself played. But when I played you can claim property. People with the right stats and trespassing earned you can enter the property, and with even more stats and theft learned you can steal from the property. While that element is there, the incentive since getting enough to do it is way more work than what you can gain. It can also get you track down and ganked by people who can track.

In terms of character vs character griefing, I didn't experience any of that. Something and I followed one simple rule to avoid griefing. Do not build or stay near rivers over extended periods. Our friend of course came across griefing because he ignored that tidbit.

And wagons are suppose to be used on roads.

Emufarmers
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Emufarmers

#4 Post by Emufarmers »

Sudden Toadwater flashbacks. 8)