The History of Therivox, Deinnov and Halo.

Discuss the lore of the EotA world.
Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Re: The History of Therivox, Deinnov and Halo.

#26 Post by Dekar »

Nice background info.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#27 Post by DarnYak »

Of course the original question is what is Deinnov's history. Being a Demon, first I had to explain their background.

The only problem is, the world of Twilight and Exodus never developed a real demon society. There were very few and very small breaches between Mortal Land and Demon Land, and thus the few Demons that came to exist were all loners hiding out in Mortal Land from the Devils (and these guys didn't figure out the immortality trick, thus can perma die). And of course, this means there's an extremely high amount of Devils, which turned into this world having a fairly high concentration of Gods.

So Deinnov and the other Demons are all from another planet - specifically, Elf World. Which means to explain Deinnov I have to explain the past history of the elves, and indirectly the history of most the world. Yay?

So on Elf World there was Elf Land, a fairly small continent isolated from the rest of the world (as far as elves are considered, there was no rest of the world, just endless ocean). As elves usually are, they're quite long lived, but don't reproduce quickly, and thus are more than happy with their little continent. Unfortunately for them, the breach between the mortal and demon planes also existed on the far side of the continent, and that's where the Demons built their main city.

Unsuprisingly, the demons and elves don't get along. The blame is mutual, as the demons and elves are quite different, and they quickly errupt into fighting and war. The demons for a long while didn't bother harrassing the elves too much, they liked to stick to familar territory and just picked on the elves that were unfortunate enough to live close by. The elves didn't like this one bit and tried repeated assaults against the demons. The demons were strong and immortal, and the elves had a generally peaceful existance before, so the battles were one sided. If anything they amused the demons by bringing entertainment to their doorstep and thus prevented them from seeking it out.

But then, of course, something changed. When the elves would kill a demon, the would be reborn with their full powers retained. But now they figured out some way to weaken them upon death. Rumor was this may have been found through the aid of a demon who defected, hoping to gain something from it. Or it may have been found by elven magi experimenting on demons they had managed to capture. The demons didn't like that, and now saw elves as a threat and not mere entertainment. Thus began the real war between the two.

The elves fared better on the defensive. Demons would die and have to respawn back at home, buying them time. Sometimes they could permenantly weaken a demon, but the method wasn't perfect or quick so they couldn't do it very often. But still, the demons wore on the elves, pushing them back away from the demon city. It was obvious their goal was, if not eradiation of the elves, at least complete domination and a future of slavery. The elves, becoming desperate after decades of losses and slowly but constantly losing ground, came to realize there was no hope aside from fleeing. Fleeing across the sea was considered, but their limited sailing experience and other scouting failed to find anywhere to go. So their only option was to use magic to create a massive portal stretching to somewhere safe - which happened to be the current world.

The Elf Exodus, unlike EotA: Exodus, was a much slower and organized affair. First they had to find a suitable new home world. Then they had to bore a hole to it sufficiently large to bring their people through it. And finally they had to leave behind something that would utterly ruin the portal, leaving no way for the demons to follow. Again, these each took decades of work by elven magi (and note a signficiant portion of the population was drafted to become magi to help in any way they can, making elves with magic commonplace and influencing the future of elven society). Obviously they found a new world. They then crafted a device capable of creating the portal bore, yet holding a large hole open for an extended period. And they made a final device, an anchor of sorts for the boring device to maintain a link, but which also acts as a massive bomb, to destroy the portal tunnel and seal off the old world from new.

The devices were set up in a citadel that was already under construction to hold off the Demonic Hordes. Unfortunately for the elves, the Demon's front line reached the citadel before they finished the device - quite a bit before, actually. Fortunately, the citadel was masterfully designed, and managed to hold off constant Demon attacks for years. The elves completed their work, and began their evacuations to the new world.

This took quite a bit of time (months), and not surpsingly things became to fall apart. With a rapidly dwinding supply of elves on old world, the Demons were able to start overrunning areas away from the citadel. Lages swaths of the elven nation were getting cut off from the citadel, their military strength was faltering, and demons eventually managed to get around to the backside of the citadel - the far more vulnerable side. The elves tried for a while to break the demon's hold, wanting to save the tens of thousands still stranded, but only succeeded in dwindling their remaining military might futher. After a week or so, they said fuck it, we're out of here.

The bomb itself was effectively a time bomb, because of both practical reasons (they wanted time to get out of the blast area) and for magical reasons (it would need time to charge up). A small portion of their remaining army was permitted to flee to the new world, while the rest would remain and fight to the death to keep the demons out.

Finally, we get to Deinnov. A strong demon (but nowhere near the strongest), he was somewhere around middle ranks of the demon armies. He had a significant amount of troops under him, and they had been reasonablly effective at cutting off the back side of the citadel. He is, however, basicly a grunt at heart, along with most of his troops. And they loved slaughtering elves. So in the final hours of the siege, seeing the elven forces crumbling, and knowing there were tens of thousands of helpless elves on the far side of the portal, he charged his forces up, smashed through the elven defenses, and through the portal. The elves weren't quite ready for this insane charge past them, and actually got cut off from the detonation trigger (they were waiting to give their guys more time to get away from the other end). They got it back, but only after most of Deinnov's forces went through the portal. Needless to say, they then activated the detonation as soon as possible after retaking it.

Deinnnov's forces were milling around the portal wondering where the hell the elves were, and were caught in the explosion. They ultimatelly ressurected somewhere in the new world, but it took them an abnormal amount of time (months to years) to do so. The portal itself was quite succesfully destroyed, no other demons have ever followed through.

More to come about Deinnov's adventures in Orc World.

DarnYak

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#28 Post by Discombobulator »

Just make sure you back up that stuff somwhere.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#29 Post by Dekar »

But then, of course, something changed. When the elves would kill a demon, the would be reborn with their full powers retained. But now they figured out some way to weaken them upon death. Rumor was this may have been found through the aid of a demon who defected, hoping to gain something from it. Or it may have been found by elven magi experimenting on demons they had managed to capture. The demons didn't like that, and now saw elves as a threat and not mere entertainment. Thus began the real war between the two.
And so DotA was born.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#30 Post by DarnYak »

Fucking hell, i just wrote up a big lore thing but accidently hit the back button and it was all lost. I'm pissed as hell, and not going to rewrite it, but here's the short version:

- Demons respawn after years to decades in some high mountains
- Demons are alone so try to expand their power because their now trapped in a world with a crapton of elves
- Demons find nearly no demons from this world that they can work with
- Demons try to recruit/enslave harpies that happen to be living in the area, but the harpies are too chaotic and bloodthirsty (although they do show aptitude towards demonic magic) so they end up fighting the harpies and driving them out of the region instead

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#31 Post by DarkNemesis »

Well it's a good thing your not an author with an editor/publisher and everyting x_X
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#32 Post by DarnYak »

If I was I wouldn't be writing it in a forum post where this kind of shit happens.

DarnYak

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#33 Post by Reaper »

in some cases hitting forward would save the text in a text box
[Reaper]

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#34 Post by Dekar »

My Firefox does that. Most of the time.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#35 Post by DarnYak »

Sometimes it works for me, sometimes it doesn't. I've never figured out a pattern to it. All i know is i realized what was about to happen, hit ctrl+a, and then hit ctrl+c a hair too late. So fucking shitty.

DarnYak

Discombobulator
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Karunecm

#36 Post by Discombobulator »

You should have been using Opera. Things like that don't happen in Opera.
I'm this forum's MVP.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#37 Post by Reaper »

Discombobulator wrote:You should have been using Opera. Things like that don't happen in Opera.
+1
[Reaper]

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#38 Post by Dekar »

DarnYak wrote:More to come about Deinnov's adventures in Orc World.
So the demons enslaved the orcs then, resulting the in fel orcs as we know them?
Last edited by Dekar on August 19th, 2009, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#39 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

I thought the "Fel Orcs" came from drinking demon's blood? And it was more of a symbolic thing than natural.

Could be wrong?

America!

Luftwaffles
Communist
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#40 Post by Luftwaffles »

Warcraft lore ≠ EotA lore.

Regardless of how Yak has Fel Orcs coming around, it would be good to note that he does not replicate the Warcraft 3 universe and therefore nothing in Warcraft 3 canon can be assumed to transfer over onto EotA.
- Luftwaffles

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut

#41 Post by Dekar »

Omg get back to your convention Ion. And get an IM online.