Witching Hour

Announcements from Lord Yak himself.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Witching Hour

#1 Post by DarnYak »

So I was browsing my maps folder to check something and noticed this. "Damn, I wish this worked, but blizz messed it up," I thought. "But maybe someone is bored enough to fix it for me!" Or they want to rip something from it. So here it is for anyone to mess with. Just to re-iterate, it won't work without some fixing up due to blizz nuking the type cast bug years ago.

ONE STIPULATION: If you choose to release an updated version, make it absolutely clear in the map name that this is your version. Leave credit to me somewhere else (I dont remember if there's an intro or anything).

About this map: Years back, Blizzard had a halloween map making contest to win a new computer or something. I had an idea, and this is right up my ally, so I spent a month obsessively working on this map. However, it was overly complex (like everything I do), too hard (intentional, but needs tuning still), and the map testers probably died within 5 seconds and gave up on it, so I didn't win or even get an honorable mention. That said, I've always loved this map and wish i had done more with it. Oh well.

What is this map: It's meant to be sort of like Parasite, but with objectives everyone needs to complete (unique and randomly assigned). A bunch of different random roles/heroes were intended but only one or two of each were added (time constraints). The scenario/map layout is based on Duskwood from World of Warcraft (I always felt that zone had a lot of unused potential). The map has a ton of unique features, including unique and individual atmosphere effects, weather, indoor/outdoor transitions, a fairly complex/expandable crafting system, and probably other crap I can't remember. There was also a unique scrying system that was intended to be used for finding murder weapons and then trakcing down the killer etc. that I don't think were ever used.

Some of the code was taken from EotA (I think), and some was intended to be reused for EotA (the weather, I think..) but never was.

If anyone fixes this please let me know. I doubt it will ever be played without some major additions, but I've always been proud of this map.

DarnYak
Attachments
Witching Hour 1_0 Unlocked.w3x
(970.94 KiB) Downloaded 409 times

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

Witching Hour

#2 Post by Dekar »

I already fixed the 1.24 stuff long ago: viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1717&p=18406&hilit ... our#p18406

Will post here again the version 1.1 I have, which is probably just 1.0 with the patchfix.
Map is loading and roles are assigned so I guess it works.

Just added something like "1.24 fix by Dekar" at the end of the loadingscreen.
Witching Hour 1_1 Unlocked.w3x
(970.43 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Witching Hour

#3 Post by DarnYak »

For consistency/hosting/releases purposes, here's a locked version of Dekar's fix. Thanks so much Dekar!

Note: Doesn't look like the blood drip effects/item scrying work.

DarnYak
Attachments
Witching Hour 1_1.w3x
(925.1 KiB) Downloaded 383 times