Open rant at the Mods

Post suggestions for any part of the Web site.

Should DarkNemesis get a ban (length unstated)?

Yes (Permanent)
18%
Yes (Temporary)
36%
Abstain
No votes
No
45%

Total votes: 11

IPEONRUSH-SHIP
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Open rant at the Mods

#26 Post by IPEONRUSH-SHIP »

DEar yak, i have written an affadavit and filed a lawsuit against disco, would you like to join me?

THe serbian laws wont protect him i have really good lawyers and also written a compendium on everything he has done.

FEel free to contribute as well darknemesis, you sound like a smart man like me.

-IPEONRUSH-SHIP

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#27 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

IPEONRUSH-SHIP wrote:DEar yak, i have written an affadavit and filed a lawsuit against disco, would you like to join me?

THe serbian laws wont protect him i have really good lawyers and also written a compendium on everything he has done.

FEel free to contribute as well darknemesis, you sound like a smart man like me.

-IPEONRUSH-SHIP
I'm gonna guess this is Disco. :roll: (If not, hey there nincompoop)

Seriously. Stop derailing the thread from what it really needs to be about: Getting moderators who are willing to enforce the rules and keep order in the face of pressure against them. Good moderators aren't always well-liked, believe me, I know from experience, but they get shit done and get the forums cleaned up.

Luftwaffles
Communist
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Ion_Killer
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#28 Post by Luftwaffles »

And of course, this isn't just limited to DN. Almost every new poster is treated with the equal disdain of "oh hey your new, you have no idea what you're talking about so we're going to flame you untill you leave", assuming they make a post relating to balance. What I think is really being asked for is a rule against stupidity.
I'm not sure every poster is treated like that but there's certainly a problem that many of us have with new people here. However, reasonable people (Casval for example) didn't get driven off the forums by flaming. I agree however, these forums are unnecessarily hostile to new people.
What I think is really being asked for is a rule against stupidity.
No, I am not asking for a rule against stupidity. I'm asking for the forums to get moderated. Everyone here knows you don't want to babysit threads and that's why we have other mods. But so far the mods don't seem very motivated to do much about what's going on. If they do things, it's stuff that isn't preventative it's reactive. Deleting posts and closing threads only really work if there's some sort of auxillary discilpline to go on with what went down, otherwise the people just rinse and repeat. Every week you guys must close, what on average 2-3 threads? How many of these are off-topic and how many about EotA- I'm willing to bet they're mostly about EotA that got off-topic. And it happens every week o________________o
If everyone is serious about having a real forum, I suggest we limit off topic to anything except other video games. I'm willing to try again to enforce things more seriously, and more equally across the board.
I wasn't necessarily insinuating that we needed to limit the topics just to EotA and video games. Political threads are fine, if you don't like them you can avoid them (what I try to do). Free speech and all that shit. What's ridiculous however, is that for a long time these threads have garnered the most posts- and why? Because it's a lot more acceptable and easy for people to talk about it then start a shitstorm about EotA, something I don't necessarily associate with stress and fighting like I do politics. I think in general, a lot more moderation and actual discipline for doing wrong shit (i.e clean up the forums) is what is needed.

I think enforcing the rules is great, it's a mod's job. You don't have to be anyone's friend you just do what the rules say. There's no need to abuse obviously but being firm keeps everyone on the same page (and in some threads, like our new skittles one- there's obviously good reason for being more lenient). It'd be wonderful if people's posts; mine, Jamn's, Dark's whoever, were actually moderated and if we say bad shit just like on any decent forum you get a warning, then an hourly temp ban, then daily etc. There are other forums people can take their beef to settle shit in (/b/) and it doesn't have to be this one.

/rant. I asked Yak to become a mod (assuming that he's the one that picks them?) simply because I'm self-motivated and I'm sick of seeing half the shit (including mine) on here posting the same bull everyday. However, I don't think I'm the best choice, and I'd recommend adding a mod like BGB, Elreth (though he's so afk and wouldn't moderate that often), Jamn or beg Sparda to come back. Someone reasonably objective without a ton of stake in EotA (you guys play other stuff too) who's not afraid to give someone the boot if they fall out of line. This would help out QS, Mills and Reaper a lot in getting the job done effectively.

I'll repeat, I didn't make this begging for censorship and for an EotA-only forum. I'm just saying this can be a lot better than it is (and it was when we had active and motivated mods) and we're getting way OT and turning people away. I mean, just as an example Dave (Strych) doesn't bother reading the forum cause all it is now is just flaming and random shit. OT is cool but we don't need this crap everywhere, and it doesn't need to get carried over into every thread needlessly.

/rant
- Luftwaffles

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#29 Post by Luftwaffles »

Please keep this thread on topic.
- Luftwaffles

Sparda963
Site Admin
Site Admin
Battle.net name: Sparda963

#30 Post by Sparda963 »

Almost every single on of you that posted in this thread have repeatedly broken the rules over the years. You all sound like a bunch of whiny pms'ing school girls really. If you would like, I can start modding this shit out of this forum, but it will end up becoming completely inactive because 1 post a day may actually survive.
It's not rape if you yell surprise!

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#31 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

I think Sparda just about said all that needs to be said.

/End of thread?

America!

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#32 Post by Luftwaffles »

I think there are only a few people on this forum who haven't broken the rules. But mods actually moderating sounds like a great start.
- Luftwaffles

GeneralFunk
3/4s Weeaboo

#33 Post by GeneralFunk »

Alternetively you could just make it so there is no rules, then the rules couldn't possibly be broken. <_<

Anyways, sure problematic threads are predominant with DarkNemesis and yes he has made repeat mistakes, but I bet over half of those problematic threads the initial antagonizer was not him. -_-

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#34 Post by Luftwaffles »

Well in this case it was a stupid idea to include a ban poll on him since it doesn't help anyone out at all. That said, I'm not actually focusing these rules on DarkNemesis I just made an exception for him since he's a bit of an anomaly in the amount of shitstorms that generate in the threads he posts in. I think I make a lot of mistakes and post dumb shit and other people on here do too.

But, there are supposed to be mods for a reason and when you let situations get out of hand frequently you're just going to end up with a lot of the stupid shit that goes on here.
- Luftwaffles

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#35 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Sparda963 wrote:Almost every single on of you that posted in this thread have repeatedly broken the rules over the years. You all sound like a bunch of whiny pms'ing school girls really. If you would like, I can start modding this shit out of this forum, but it will end up becoming completely inactive because 1 post a day may actually survive.
I think that would be a little too much moderating. Just the occasional deleted post with warning PM, 6 hour ban, or locked thread would be nice.
I miss EotA :(

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#36 Post by Reaper »

My reason for wishing to limit off topic to video games is that the political stuff (and anything really random) seems to be fuel for the fire in many other threads.
[Reaper]

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#37 Post by Luftwaffles »

Fair enough but those threads can still exist and you can moderate them, you just have to expect when it comes to politics people are going to be more like assholes. If they bring it over into other threads, you just warn them, and if they don't follow that warning, you temp ban them. People will (hopefully) get it pretty quick, or they won't be back to do it again :lol:.
- Luftwaffles

SeasonsOfLove
Resident
Resident

#38 Post by SeasonsOfLove »

Sparda963 wrote:Almost every single on of you that posted in this thread have repeatedly broken the rules over the years. You all sound like a bunch of whiny pms'ing school girls really. If you would like, I can start modding this shit out of this forum, but it will end up becoming completely inactive because 1 post a day may actually survive.
Please do. I don't think I've broken rules, certainly not recently, and I damn well don't deserve a ban. If you're going to threaten to do it, then do it. If not, shut up and go back to pretending to moderate the forums.

Dark_Nemesis
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#39 Post by Dark_Nemesis »

Holy shit, Season...

Did you seriously post that?

I'm gonna refresh, then come back and check....

WOW, just WOW

You're either really courageous or really foolish.

America!

Luftwaffles
Communist
WereWabbit
Canucklehead
Luftwaffles

#40 Post by Luftwaffles »

I am closing this thread and starting a new, less offensive and more appropriate one for people to post criticism of the mods and moderation on this forum.
- Luftwaffles