Seeking Spell ideas

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seeking Spell ideas

#1 Post by DarnYak »

One of the heroes I need to finish isn't entirely finished, so I'm looking for inspiration from the EotA community.

The theme: Frost/Ice. The evil kind, not stuff frosty the snowman might use, this isn't for the elf team. Evil with a hint of frosting works too.

Less spell-like abilities and more ability-like are a plus. Can be melee oriented. Stay away from pure damage abilities unless you think its the most creative idea ever. Minor damage with side effects are welcome. Utility is always a plus.

Don't assume its for undead. Just because I have hero slots to fill on undead doesn't mean this is the undead hero. It might be a tavern hero for instance.

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

Re: Seeking Spell ideas

#2 Post by DarkNemesis »

DarnYak wrote:One of the heroes I need to finish isn't entirely finished, so I'm looking for inspiration from the EotA community.

The theme: Frost/Ice. The evil kind, not stuff frosty the snowman might use, this isn't for the elf team. Evil with a hint of frosting works too.

Less spell-like abilities and more ability-like are a plus. Can be melee oriented. Stay away from pure damage abilities unless you think its the most creative idea ever. Minor damage with side effects are welcome. Utility is always a plus.

Don't assume its for undead. Just because I have hero slots to fill on undead doesn't mean this is the undead hero. It might be a tavern hero for instance.

DarnYak
Less spell-like abilities and more ability-like are a plus.--Darn Yak
Could you explain this a little further? Little confused.

It might be a tavern hero for instance.--Darn Yak
I sure hope it isn't a tavern hero :wink:

Ok, thought of some stuff.

Freeze Trap? Binding Freeze?
Freezes a target enemy in a cube of ice for X seconds, dealing minor INT-based damage. While frozen, the block slowly melts, reducing nearby units armor by X and movement and attack speed by X while in that AoE. Also, you could add a healing effect as a direct counter, in other words, heals the the hero for that same amount, but still emanates the negative auras.

Cold Attack? Freezing Attack?
Gives the target hero a X percent chance to deal freezing damage on next attack for X seconds. Freezing damage slows enemy heroes move speed and freezes their armor, rendering it useless for X seconds. Also reduces targets intelligence by X and gives it to the caster for the duration of the spell.

Frost's Breath?
Blasts enemy units for X Intelligence damage, leaving a pit of ice in their wake. Units who remain in the area have a X percent chance to become frozen for short duration.

(Ultimate) Dark Freeze?
Afflicts enemy units with a freezing curse, give them a chance to be instantly killed on next attack. Lasts only one attack. Units that are killed during that attack are risen as Frost Wyvern. Heroes affected cannot be killed, but have their intelligence and strength reduced by X percent. Lasts....say....12 seconds on heroes. for each second affected, their intelligence/strength reduction doubles, until removed. Cannot exceed -40 (at highest level) lets say.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#3 Post by DarnYak »

I mean its not really a caster hero. Spell like abilities would be something like Blizzard or Holy Strike. Basicly stuff that the hero casts, but doesn't really originate with the hero's actions.

Ability like abilities are stuff like Caustic Breath or Swoop. Neither is really magical, just their inniate powers.

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#4 Post by DarkNemesis »

DarnYak wrote:
I mean its not really a caster hero. Spell like abilities would be something like Blizzard or Holy Strike. Basicly stuff that the hero casts, but doesn't really originate with the hero's actions.

Ability like abilities are stuff like Caustic Breath or Swoop. Neither is really magical, just their inniate powers.

DarnYak
Makes sense, we have enough "Caster" heroes as it is, although it wouldn't hurt Undead to have a good all-around spell weaver, something close to the Wizard or Aeromancess I'm thinking. With that in mind, my idea concepts shouldn't be too far out, there is enough diversity there to fit most hero categories, though I plan to add more, until then.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.

Ion
Communist

#5 Post by Ion »

Tell me which ones suck and which ones sound interesting.

1. Shockwave that freezes units like the IS' old Prison spell in a line, and leaves them temporarily slowed afterwards (could combo with the firelord's spell =O). That's pretty spell-like. Pretty magical though.

2. If you're using a Wendigo model or something, a kind of Toss ability would be cool (FF6 shit ftw). DotA has that I think though (from way back).

3. If the unit has a punch model, you could have it like Swipe except it knocks the unit back and either:
a) creates the prementioned shockwave
or
b) knocks the hero back and freezes him for a few seconds (tiny Dot?) or freezes units as he is plummeted backwards. This one has potential triggering problems, is weird and might be buggy in crowds (but then again, look at Incin.)

4. Some sort of activatable aura that drains mana but chills nearby units (kind of simplistic and boring; maybe an Innate skill). Similarly perhaps a cloud of chilling winds that deals damage while you're inside of it (that's pretty magical though).

5. Maybe a charge ability, where you target x area and the hero runs toward it, pushing units aside and slowing them and at the end a bunch of ice shatters in an AoE.

iono, shitty ideas on a whole but I'm just trying to be provocative with better ideas, if not oh well. : D
Ion.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#6 Post by Tehw00tz »

Tiny has the toss ability in DotA.

How about if the hero is knocked backwards by the punch he damages friendly units/buildings and takes damage for hitting stuff like trees? Not too much damage but a little like 25-75.

Telling us what model the hero uses would be a big help though.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by DarnYak »

Tehw00tz wrote:Telling us what model the hero uses would be a big help though.
That'd be too much info. I don't want to give away what team this guy may be on. It's suppose to be a suprise damnit!

DarnYak

PS. Even if you've figured it out, pretend to be suprised, or else.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#8 Post by DarkNemesis »

DarnYak wrote:
Tehw00tz wrote:Telling us what model the hero uses would be a big help though.
That'd be too much info. I don't want to give away what team this guy may be on. It's suppose to be a suprise damnit!

DarnYak

PS. Even if you've figured it out, pretend to be suprised, or else.
Merry Christmas to you too Yak!!!

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#9 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Icy Grasp
Freezes a target enemy unit for 1+(intelligence/100) seconds x times with a gap of 1 second between each freeze.

The number of times frozen X is relevant to the distance between the caster and the target ((distance/200) for example would freeze 4 times at 800 range)

The freeze effect would be based off of perhaps the lich's ice nova so it's not a complete stun, just a slow effect with speed returning over time.

Can cast on self to restore (mana? health?)
I miss EotA :(

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#10 Post by Perhaps »

Chilling Touch
Kills target non-hero unit and spawns an Ice Demon.
Thrusts his/her hand into their heart chilling it with evil, a new being is born.

Frostburn
Basically a cold version of active immolation and slows targets under effect.
Evil's cold presence the destruction of warmth.

Crystal Coffin
Applies ethereal (0% run speed) to target hero and does damage over duration as channeling.
A fitting burial for a foe.

This is all I can think of so far.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by DarnYak »

Going to throw in a half finished idea.

It'll work similar to pilfer's coins, dropping stuff you can pick up off the ground. Except it'll be crystalized mana (which will probably also heal the hero, as he/she/it currently lacks a way to recover health). Might be aoe so you can recover off spawns as well as heroes. Might deal minor damage mana burn style, but I haven't decided (hero has a lot of damage already)

However, I don't think this would be sufficient in itself to make people want to pick it. So I'm open to possible side effects for a draw. I'm also considering making higher ranks do more effects, so low levels can be sufficient for self healing all game, but higher ranks do other bonuses.

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#12 Post by DarkNemesis »

Its too bad you couldn't make a Frost Wyvern for the Elves, that way each faction would have a flying hero.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#13 Post by DarnYak »

DarkNemesis wrote:Its too bad you couldn't make a Frost Wyvern for the Elves, that way each faction would have a flying hero.
Who says I can't? I won't, but its not can't.

DarnYak

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#14 Post by DarkNemesis »

DarnYak wrote:
DarkNemesis wrote:Its too bad you couldn't make a Frost Wyvern for the Elves, that way each faction would have a flying hero.
Who says I can't? I won't, but its not can't.

DarnYak
Can't in the sense that you wont.

Btw, why wont you?

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#15 Post by Perhaps »

You push out the assumption that he won't to begin with, yet you're asking for a reason?

These are two possible scenarios I see right now.
A) You made a baseless assumption.
B) You had possible reasons, but were afraid to state them.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#16 Post by DarkNemesis »

Perhaps wrote:You push out the assumption that he won't to begin with, yet you're asking for a reason?

These are two possible scenarios I see right now.
A) You made a baseless assumption.
B) You had possible reasons, but were afraid to state them.
I'm wasn't afraid to state anything. Also, DarnYak could mean several things by "he wont". Such as, we wont right now, or in the near future. Or he wont make that type of hero for the elves. What I took away (this is an assumption) was that he wasn't planning on making a flying at all for the elves, at least not within the next six months or so.

C) You're assuming too much.

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#17 Post by jamn455 »

Stop arguing about something this dumb. Yak said it will not happen, and it is safe to say that it isn't going to happen. All this arguing isn't going to help a damn thing, just realize that the closest the elves will get to a flying hero is infiltrator, which is a fair compromise.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#18 Post by DarnYak »

The won't is just refering specificly to a frost wyvern actually.

DarnYak

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#19 Post by Tehw00tz »

(WHICH MEANS HE HAS IT PLANNED FOR SOMETHING ELSE.

OR IS JUST RACIST TO WYVERNS)
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Ocean.dll
Regular
Regular

#20 Post by Ocean.dll »

Some sort of frosty shield type ability might be cool.

Could it be possible for a hero to only be protected from a certain degree of angles? say like 180' in front of himself? If so it'd be cool if there was a frozen shield that protected against stuff coming at the hero from the front, but not from behind him. And of course, any unit that tries to attack at melee range would be slowed and/or damaged.
"RAWRR" -closing lines of Big Trouble in Little China

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse

#21 Post by Tehw00tz »

I like that idea, I'm not going to add more to it though. Yak can make the changes he wants to it.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP