Crystal Acquirement

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Perhaps
Retired
Retired

Crystal Acquirement

#1 Post by Perhaps »

This here be done crystal acquirement suggestion thread. New ways to achieve ideas and/or remove/modify current suggestions. I may be the only one (hopefully not, misery loves company!) that finds the current crystal acquirement lacking, especially if talent points are suppose to balance skills.

Leading off with an idea, I have for an AoS + Battlecraft hybrid map in planning stages that I'm going to make. Which is in the map I'm going to do, is going to have all heroes come with all skills, while there is not skill points given for levels. I'm planning on using DY's talent system alone for players to raise skills, via lumber resource... On to the meat, and less rambling, I think crystals per level wouldn't be a bad idea to implement.

Another idea I have, is "arcane fields," which would simply be locations that Crystal Generators built at them would have an increased rate of Crystal Generation. An alternative to the idea, which would be placing a specific building at an "arcane field" or "crystal deposit" that would harvest crystal. Either way, I think these ideas are better than random meteors to collect with an arcane wagon.

Anyways! Critique and submit ideas!

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

Re: Crystal Acquirement

#2 Post by Soulbourne »

First one: No.

Second one: Maybe have it where there are certain areas you must build an arcane sanctum to draw out arcane energy and crystallize it. Have the computer distribute every now and then, it's sorta like obelisks only crystal instead of cores and control.

First one would be good for some maps, but I don't see it good for here. Plus it it might be a lot of work changing that around to fit, plus some newb(or noob) might just spend the crystal on everything but his skills. So, in your map, try to make sure they know to buy skills if there is other stuff besides that to spend resources on.
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#3 Post by Perhaps »

In my map, I plan on locking players out of the ability to move out and play until they complete certain tasks that are essencials to know. Give them a freebe upgrade at the start, required to be completed to move on.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict

#4 Post by Soulbourne »

An excellent idea, will help cut down on some basic errors but will further increase the dislike should it be required every game. Would it be possible to have an option to skip it for games with experienced people so they don't grow tired of it? I know I would hate to do that task 10 times a day...

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#5 Post by Reaper »

Solution: Play minesweeper.
[Reaper]

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict

#6 Post by Soulbourne »

Solution's problem: You have to do the tasks yourself, not automated it looks like.

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#7 Post by Perhaps »

What I could do, is setup and auto hotkey script to run through the notions. That is, you get the link from following through with it. Either than or a password that you can enter at start.

Laser_Wolf
Regular
Regular

#8 Post by Laser_Wolf »

Something very similar is already in place for the upgrading of the scrolls. If you loaded your code and are a level two or higher the scroll is already a tiny ob control tower. The same thing could be done for this.
I go by the name of Lazar_Wolf.
I am not a tailor.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by Soulbourne »

Got a bit off topic, but it's the good kind I say.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#10 Post by DarnYak »

is going to have all heroes come with all skills
Imo, not doing this is one of the reasons its so damned hard to come up with good skills in EotA,and is something i settled on a while ago being the standard for any future maps I make.

About crystal, I'm not really opposed to adding a new resource node for peopel to fight over, the challange is figuring out the mechanics of it and where to put it. Stormwail has a lot of empty space that isn't used but most of its too far out of the way with the current setup..

Althogh i'd also argue that gold farming might be a bit too one dimensional (ie reliant on aoe) for the most part as well. EotA resources are all screwed up.

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#11 Post by Perhaps »

If you could help me with my map, via telling me how to do simple things that'd be nice DY. Such as one of the things I really like about EotA, is respawning trees, giving effectiveness to tree usage skills, and not eventually become useless without having to add ridiculous clumps of trees. With that said, how do you do respawning trees? I have thought of a few things, but I'd like the less stressing on computer resources and/or easiest method.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#12 Post by DarnYak »

Perhaps wrote: Such as one of the things I really like about EotA, is respawning trees, giving effectiveness to tree usage skills, and not eventually become useless without having to add ridiculous clumps of trees. With that said, how do you do respawning trees? I have thought of a few things, but I'd like the less stressing on computer resources and/or easiest method.

Code: Select all

function IsTree takes integer t returns boolean
    return t == 'WTtw' or t == 'WTst' or t  == 'LTlt' or t == 'ATtr' or t == 'ATtc' or t == 'ZTtw' or t== 'ZTtc' or t== 'YTct'
endfunction

function Trig_Tree_Rebirth_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    if (IsTree(GetDestructableTypeId(GetDyingDestructable()))) then
       call TriggerSleepAction( GetRandomReal(240.00, 360.00) )
       call DestructableRestoreLife( GetDyingDestructable(), GetDestructableMaxLife(GetDyingDestructable()), true )
    endif
endfunction
Not the most efficient method, but probably doesn't matter. Could be converted into having its own timer spawned but I don't think it'll have any noticable difference.

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#13 Post by Perhaps »

A character I plan on having in, will have all tree affiliated abilities. The class will have the ability to create trees, however using surrounding trees would of course be less taxing on the hero's game play. I also plan on making army units capable of using trees, like you have units that use corpses, making the tree create move helpful to army in certain places. I'm also considering ripping of SShowdown and have push moves that players that collide into trees or rocks will take extra damage. This topic is a little off tangent, so I'll stop talking about the map here!

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#14 Post by Perhaps »

What is the triggering event mind I ask?

BustroQuick
Battle.net name: googlypoo

#15 Post by BustroQuick »

A destructible dies.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by DarnYak »

Perhaps wrote:What is the triggering event mind I ask?
Ok, I accidently broke tree respawning in 1.12 becuase i re-wrote the trigger due to this post, so i thought i'd warn you guy sof my experience.

I was being lazy and just using TriggerRegisterDestDeathInRegionEvent for the tree death event. However, it turns out this will only register 64 destructables, as each destructbale needs to be tied ot the event indepedantly (unlike generic unit events that exist). So you have to somehow register every tree on the map yourself.

And no, there's no good reason for the 64 limit that I can find.

DarnYak