Item degradation

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
jamn455
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)

Re: Item degradation

#26 Post by jamn455 »

I believe that he meant this
jamn455 wrote:Alright lets put this into a story.

A knight walks up to the local armory and says, "Hello sir, can you reinforce my armor with steel."

Later the same knight walks up, WITH USED, BUSTED UP ARMOR FROM A DAY AT BATTLE, and says, "I need money to feed my family, take off this steel and give me my money back."

Sound reasonable? I think not.
I know it was a genius idea, but this I guess it was flaming reaper's idea. I understand your idea, but I don't like the fact that you should be able to do something that cannot be done. The only way to degrade is to start from scratch, not to just rip off some additions. Yet again, this is a point of people not being able to spend 15 seconds tops to re-buy and upgrade again.

You think that all I can do is flame? Well you are fucking wrong. I am quite intelligent, and this is the first topic that has been brought to my attention that deals with the fact that people are trying to defy what is possible.

Pie > degrading items.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#27 Post by jamn455 »

I believe that he meant this
jamn455 wrote:Alright lets put this into a story.

A knight walks up to the local armory and says, "Hello sir, can you reinforce my armor with steel."

Later the same knight walks up, WITH USED, BUSTED UP ARMOR FROM A DAY AT BATTLE, and says, "I need money to feed my family, take off this steel and give me my money back."

Sound reasonable? I think not.
I know it was a genius idea, but this I guess it was flaming reaper's idea. I understand your idea, but I don't like the fact that you should be able to do something that cannot be done. The only way to degrade is to start from scratch, not to just rip off some additions. Yet again, this is a point of people not being able to spend 15 seconds tops to re-buy and upgrade again.

You think that all I can do is flame? Well you are fucking wrong. I am quite intelligent, and this is the first topic that has been brought to my attention that deals with the fact that people are trying to defy what is possible.

Pie > degrading items.
Line 'em up.
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#28 Post by Strychnyne »

Yeah, I meant the story part with the knight and the hungry family. Though putting in a button to fix your problem does come across as lazy... *grin*

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#29 Post by Soulbourne »

Soulbourne wrote:Now let's put the current system to your story:

Knight walks in and asks for his armor to be reinforced. Two days later he walks in with his armor beaten and blood covered, "Yes, I'd like to sell this armor for same price I bought and upgraded it for." Embarrassed he says, "I gambled away my pay, hehe."
Hmmm....
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#30 Post by jamn455 »

Ok guys, why don't you try this on for size.

First, you can sell your items at ANY of your outposts.
Second, you hire a worker at the main base.
Third, You merc to your free will.
Fourth, Buy the item and put it into your altar.
Fifth, Press temper the appropriate amount of times.
Sixth, Teleport back and an pick up your item.
Last, Go to whatever lane you want to.

Now how long did you have to leave your lane?

Hmm... seems like 5-10 seconds tops.

Why don't you just find easy ways to do stuff the way it is set up now. You want yak to release the map, but you make suggestions that will cause him to spend time triggering degrades, not to mention less chance of more memory leaks.
Line 'em up.

Mills
Addict
Addict

#31 Post by Mills »

I'm not to sure about being able to degrade your items outside of the base. However, what does everyone think of being able to upgrade items without returning to the base? Personally, I think it would be rather nice even if you may call it lazy or pointless.

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#32 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Jamn would call it "lazy".... :roll:

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Tehw00tz

#33 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Yes, but we're not talking about jamn right now.

And the logical arguements to this are just stupid if you ask me.
Video games, suspend your belief.
We can have giant dragons and dryads and other stuff, but we can't have magical blacksmiths with the power to degrade armor/weapons. This is seriously one of the, if not the best suggestions I have seen for EotA, and probably the only one I would actually like in EotA. Being able to upgrade/degree your weapons/armor outside of the main base sounds like a bad idea though.
Backwards E's are badass

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#34 Post by Strychnyne »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:Yes, but we're not talking about jamn right now.

And the logical arguements to this are just stupid if you ask me.
Video games, suspend your belief.
We can have giant dragons and dryads and other stuff, but we can't have magical blacksmiths with the power to degrade armor/weapons. This is seriously one of the, if not the best suggestions I have seen for EotA, and probably the only one I would actually like in EotA. Being able to upgrade/degree your weapons/armor outside of the main base sounds like a bad idea though.
That is one of THE stupidest comments I have ever heard man. Okay, look at the spell types. There are physical spells that don't affect ethereal targets. REALISTIC! Ice Wall melts during the day. REALISTIC! Seriously, one of the best things about this game is the level of realism.
Last edited by Strychnyne on March 3rd, 2008, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#35 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

I won't try to win this arguement, I suck at arguing. I'm not going to spend 30 minutes trying to disect your post to prove you wrong, but I'll leave you with this. You're talking about an affect of realism that magical spells have. Oh and if that's one of stupidest comments you've ever seen, look at the post below mine.
Last edited by AnAngryBearDoctor on March 3rd, 2008, 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Backwards E's are badass

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#36 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Were not trying to prove anyone wrong TrollDoc, we are all giving our opinion of new concepts and potential ideas.

And your post would have made more sense in German...

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#37 Post by jamn455 »

A_New_Dawn wrote:Were not trying to prove anyone wrong TrollDoc, we are all giving our opinion of new concepts and potential ideas.

Your posts don't even make sense in English half the time... Don't ridicule others sir.

And Tox, it could be a somewhat good thing, but I think that there should be an extra charge away from base or something.
Line 'em up.

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#38 Post by Strychnyne »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:You're talking about an affect of realism that magical spells have.
No, you're really not. Armor is a physical, something you wear. I GUESS I could see this working if you had to collect certain materials to upgrade your item, but since it's just gold, all you're REALLY doing is paying the little gnome in your altar to temper your item. So how can you unupgrade something? It really goes against logic as well as the rest of the game. So saying that the game is "magical" is a really poor excuse for this feature.
AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:Oh and if that's one of stupidest comments you've ever seen, look at the post below mine.
I stand corrected.

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#39 Post by A_New_Dawn »

jamn455 wrote:
A_New_Dawn wrote:Were not trying to prove anyone wrong TrollDoc, we are all giving our opinion of new concepts and potential ideas.

Your posts don't even make sense in English half the time... Don't ridicule others sir.

And Tox, it could be a somewhat good thing, but I think that there should be an extra charge away from base or something.
Yet your able to flame EVERY one of them...interesting.

AnAngryBearDoctor
Addict
Addict

#40 Post by AnAngryBearDoctor »

Can we seriously phrase ban the word flame? Every post that contains it turns out to be mindlessly pointless

Even this one
Backwards E's are badass

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#41 Post by jamn455 »

AnAngryBearDoctor wrote:Can we seriously phrase ban the word flame? Every post that contains it turns out to be mindlessly pointless

Even this one
I lit the candle, and there was a flame.
The flame went out, and the candle was lame.
Line 'em up.

Soulbourne
Addict
Addict
Battle.net name: Soulbourne-Destroy all imitators...

#42 Post by Soulbourne »

I can think of a few things that wouldn't be pointless involving the word Flame, A) Many in non-Eota related, B) several EotA things involve the fiery type flame.....Go Flame Dude, patron of Ro.
Click here to help growth.

Sarcasm is conveyed often times by tone of voice. Since writing does not have definite tones because of different views, I suggest we from now on color sarcasm blue as in other forums.

Please come here and click each egg...