What to do about not upgrading scroll

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.

Should the non-tempered scrolls explode if a player does not temper it within 5 minutes?

Yes, If they don't temper it, they should 'splode.
17%
Yes, maybe that will teach them a lesson.
17%
Yes to Proposition 756!
44%
No, the NOOB text is good enough.
11%
No, if they 'splode that team loses the free ob.
11%

Total votes: 18

Poolman756
Visitor
Visitor

What to do about not upgrading scroll

#1 Post by Poolman756 »

So I had this idea that instead of having the NOOB text, the scroll could be like the old inspector gadget cartoon. At the bottom of the text in the scroll, it says "This scroll will self-distruct in 5 minutes if not tempered." If not tempered in 5 minutes, it explodes, killing the hero carrying it. The scroll will disappear and the death text could read "Maybe next time you will read your scroll?" What do you guys think?
Last edited by Poolman756 on August 16th, 2007, 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Why would you not love pie? You know its a sin not to. Pie > God. Even His commandments can't prove this is not true.

jamn455: me wants all the robot penises in his mouth

BustroQuick
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: googlypoo

Re: What to do about not upgrading scroll

#2 Post by BustroQuick »

It'll probably catch their attention better than noob spam.

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#3 Post by Nick.Scryer »

Inspector Gadget? Maybe you're thinking of Mission Impossible?

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#4 Post by Tehw00tz »

And hopefully the timer would reset each hero it's given to, because if not people can just wait until the scroll is about to explode and hand it off to an annoying teammate/enemy.
It would be pretty funny though.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#5 Post by Storamin »

What I don't understand is why it's such a hard concept to grasp? You seriously have to keep telling these people and then ping the damn altar for them. NOBODY gets it. :?:

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#6 Post by LordSuzaku »

I agree with that idea, if people cannot learn, they can be cannon fodder.
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#7 Post by Nick.Scryer »

Sometimes the only way you can things across to stupid people is through outrageous methods. Such as an exploding Scroll or maybe.. dundundun...an Auto-boot Scroll? With a Happy little Message at the end?

Elreth
Resident
Resident

#8 Post by Elreth »

I would still prefer just having the AI take control of them and doing it for them. Then they could see exactly what theyre supposed to do, its not evil, and it helps their team. Obviously the AI would give back control after it was done.

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#9 Post by Nick.Scryer »

No offense but I could see people going omfg I can't control my hero, and they would leave anyway. IMO: Might as well have some laughs at their expense.

Elreth
Resident
Resident

#10 Post by Elreth »

Well I would think it would give them a message so they knew what was going on.

Pheonick
Resident
Resident

#11 Post by Pheonick »

Poolman756 wrote:So I had this idea that instead of having the NOOB text, the scroll could be like the old inspector gadget cartoon. At the bottom of the text in the scroll, it says "This scroll will self-distruct in 5 minutes if not tempered." If not tempered in 5 minutes, it explodes, killing the hero carrying it. The scroll will disappear and the death text could read "Maybe next time you will read your scroll?" What do you guys think?
Slightly harsh, but i vote 'yes' to proposition 756.
Poolman756 wrote: At the bottom of the text in the scroll
At the bottom?! While that will help on the drastically low amount of exploding heroes (yay) it will never get read unless it is in acid green font and giant letters. At the top would make more sense.
I've been told that, with major surgery, I can become a preeetty good combination doorstep and draft excluder.

I feel...zomg.

"Stop getting up at night, just pee in your closet, it's that easy!" - Billy May

Storamin
Addict
Addict

#12 Post by Storamin »

Pheonick wrote:
Poolman756 wrote:So I had this idea that instead of having the NOOB text, the scroll could be like the old inspector gadget cartoon. At the bottom of the text in the scroll, it says "This scroll will self-distruct in 5 minutes if not tempered." If not tempered in 5 minutes, it explodes, killing the hero carrying it. The scroll will disappear and the death text could read "Maybe next time you will read your scroll?" What do you guys think?
Slightly harsh, but i vote 'yes' to proposition 756.
x2

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#13 Post by Nick.Scryer »

Yes to Proposition 756

genrap993
Visitor
Visitor

#14 Post by genrap993 »

Yes to Proposition 756!

Strychnyne
Addict
Addict

#15 Post by Strychnyne »

I don't agree with any of the options. If someone doesn't read it they are either a) Korean, b) retarded, or c) They play DotA too much and there's no hope. I think there should be a timer but then their teammates get the five hundred gold split between them. Hell, they can explode as well.

FutatsuNoOmoi
Resident
Resident

#16 Post by FutatsuNoOmoi »

Nick.Scryer wrote:Inspector Gadget? Maybe you're thinking of Mission Impossible?
He means Inspector Gadget, every single message he got from the cheif would self destruct.
Strychnyne wrote:I don't agree with any of the options. If someone doesn't read it they are either a) Korean, b) retarded, or c) They play DotA too much and there's no hope. I think there should be a timer but then their teammates get the five hundred gold split between them. Hell, they can explode as well.
Not completely true, a lot of maps have tips in them, and usually go over things you already know which comes to be distracting with no purpose, such a phenomenon can be called "white noise." Which can cause people to filter out tips as with future tips that come up will tend to be not even noticed.

Anyway, I would have to go for automation on the tempering of the scroll.

In this sequence...
-Disallow control

-Force Hero Selection

-Display text "One of the defining features of EotA is the ability to directly upgrade items in a linear direction, as apposed to the typical recipe style, allowing for gradual increase of power, rather than leaps and bounds."

-Wait ????

-Display text "As you will see what is done with this scroll you will be able to do with a great variety of items, so let's start by placing the scroll into your alter, to move an item into the alter, simply right click on the item, then left click on the alter"

-Wait ????

-Remove/Kill scroll

-Spawn Scroll in alter

-Force alter selection

-Display text "This is the alter which you placed your scroll in, you will see a series of options, you may hover your mouse over them to find out further details. Now moving on, you will notice text displayed on the top of your alter, normally it would display the cost to upgrade your item, however this item is free so this situation is midly unique."

-Wait ????

-Display text "Going back to the alter options, you will notice an anvil button, that is the temper feature of the alter, which will upgrade the item in the alter, if the item can be upgraded. So now we're going to go ahead and temper the scroll"

-wait ????

-(by whatever method to put temper into cooldown, and have the product of a mini obelisk in the alter)

-Display text "The scroll is now upgraded, and has become a Mini Obelisk a consumable that places down a structure, further details will be at the end of the tutorial, but for now, we shall conclude alter dynamics for item upgrading."

-Wait ????

-Display text "Now using a process similar to placing the scroll into the alter from your hero, you will transfer the Mini Obelisk to your hero by right clicking on the Mini Obelisk, then left clicking on your hero. Keep in mind that you cannot use consumables in Alter."

-Remove Mini Obelisk

-Spawn Mini Obelisk on hero

-Wait ????

-Select hero

-Display text "Now that you have a Mini Obelisk, you are on the route to employ strategies of many. What strategies you will use, are up to you. Mini Obelisk will allow you to place an Obelisk Control Tower which will allow you to control an obelisk for your team, we will go over the benifits of control."

-Wait ????

-Display text "Obelisk Control will give your team energy, the max energy you see, is not shared with your team, it is your own personal energy that allows you to upgrade Generator built with a worker, one generator upgrade generates crystal resource"

-Wait ????

-Display text "Oblisk Control will also aquire cores over time, cores allow you to build spawn towers that increase your army, and with spawn tower choices, you can formulate a build/strategy that may win or lose you the game."

-Wait ????

-Display text "Obelisks can also be placed by purchasing a worker at ?????, ?????, and ????? for 100 gold, and can build Obelisk Control Towers at Obelisk locations.

-Wait ????

-Display text "To place the Mini Obelisk, just simply left click on the Mini Obelisk, and left click near an Obelisk."

-Wait ????

-Display text "Here are the obelisk locations."

-Wait ????

-(Swap between the three the player's team's safe locations during text), Display text "These are the safe locations that are gaurded, and are ideal for your first placement in a game.

-Wait ????

-(Swap between the four open lane locations during text), Display text "These are contested Obelisk locations, placing there will need a great deal of supervision"

-(Swap between other team's safe obelisk locations), Display text "These are safe locations for the other team, though gaurded, if defenses are eliminated, they can be a safer placement than those in contested locations."

-Wait ????

-Display text "Though not suggested, you can sell your Obelisk for 500 gold, the gold may not be worth the ammount Obelisk control offers. However, if safe obelisk locations are already taken, and you don't see strategically that you will keep the placement long enough for benifits, then it may be wise to sell it, and use the quick resources for alternatives."

-Wait ????

-Display text "If there is any information you may have missed, or you don't fully understand the Mini Tutorial, you may go into the quest log, the F9 key if you like hotkeys. And enjoy your round"

-Wait ????

-Display text "If you wish to not go through tutorial in a game session, type "-Kodar <Your Player Color>" to play "Kill Shortling" in tutorial duration and you will have a premade Mini Obelisk in your inventory, or if everyone uses "-Kodar" command game will start, and you will have a premade Mini Obelisk"

-Allow control
--

If kept short, so that it's no more of an inconvience as map selection, and hero selection in time usage, it would educate unknowing players, and for experienced players the speedy elitism of tempering ASAP will be removed.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#17 Post by Tehw00tz »

I just got the 756 joke.
And I voted yes.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Nick.Scryer
Visitor
Visitor

#18 Post by Nick.Scryer »

Nick.Scryer wrote:
FutatsuNoOmoi wrote:He means Inspector Gadget, every single message he got from the cheif would self destruct.
Not to continue this, but, MI2 not 5 minutes into the Movie. Remember the whole thing with Chimera and the Glasses? I never was a fan of IG so I probably didn't know about it. My own ignorance. Sorry

AlienFromBeyond
Resident
Resident

#19 Post by AlienFromBeyond »

Nick.Scryer wrote:
Nick.Scryer wrote:
FutatsuNoOmoi wrote:He means Inspector Gadget, every single message he got from the cheif would self destruct.
Not to continue this, but, MI2 not 5 minutes into the Movie. Remember the whole thing with Chimera and the Glasses? I never was a fan of IG so I probably didn't know about it. My own ignorance. Sorry
Yeah, Inspector Gadget definitely came first. Fail more please ;).

Arcueid
Wanderer
Wanderer

#20 Post by Arcueid »

hey I agree with the proposition I mean its really a fucking big problem to be, all the time, telling noobs how to upgrade their scrolls if they cant really do that well I think its good to let them die and hat will give them a good lesson of reading

Furion
Resident
Resident

#21 Post by Furion »

test123
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#22 Post by LordSuzaku »

Can the mini obelisk tower lose its ability to be sold? I tire of noobs just making it and selling it for themselves.
*Disclaimer*

LordSuzaku does not have complete control of his opinions as he is actually a pair of brothers.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Dekar

#23 Post by Dekar »

You want me to walk on the mountain myself because I cant sell the mini ob and build with a worker? No wai!
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

jamn455
Corpse
Corpse

#24 Post by jamn455 »

LordSuzaku wrote:Can the mini obelisk tower lose its ability to be sold? I tire of noobs just making it and selling it for themselves.
The topic is not about what people do after they temper the obelisk, it is what to do to make them more aware of what to do to temper it and use it. Who cares if they sell it, atleast it isnt just sitting in there inventory the whole game.
Line 'em up.
"Black people don't play Mega Man, they play with guns or some shit." - Ion
"If it takes two whole days for a giraffe, you know that giraffe is a tall one." - Wade Phillips

LordSuzaku
Regular
Regular

#25 Post by LordSuzaku »

Well, one step at a time I guess, but a greedy noob can get on my nerves.
*Disclaimer*