Ideas/Suggestions for NY

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Softmints
Visitor
Visitor

Ideas/Suggestions for NY

#1 Post by Softmints »

Ideas for the NY versions...

Priority High:
  • Last hits are removed. Gold is evenly split among nearby heroes when a troop dies. Gold from troops reduced to 50% of current value to prevent inflation.
  • Worker units die instantly to npc attacks. They keep dragging waves, making certain bases on Stormwail unreasonably difficult to take.
  • Same with gold mine miners who are not yet at a gold mine.
Goal: streamline pushes, stop AoE being mandatory

Priority Medium:
  • Increase siege damage modifier against buildings by +100%
  • Ballistae/Catapults get halved health and +200 attack range.
  • I think archers have a siege attack; reduce their damage slightly
  • Tower repair 30% cheaper
  • Tier 2/3 bases now have equal maximum life to tier 1 bases
  • Tier 2/3 bases gain +0.5%/+1% to their regen auras
  • Tier 2/3 mercs gain increased maxlife% and damage as the game goes on (+100% every 20 minutes?)
Goal: killing bases doesn't drag out, high tier bases are more useful, golems stay a fearsome threat throughout the game, repairing with multiple workers is more affordable

Other Twists:
  • New item "Phantom Hooves" goes in the misc shop, has an activated wind-walk ability with a 3600 second fade time (aka, it won't actually make you invis, but gives unitwalking until next action like Inf gets). Tune duration/cost/stats as you like.
  • Serpent Ward consumable gets 1000 attack range
  • Sea Elemental consumable gets 100% life leech
  • Digmasters and Obelisk Towers deal 4% of maxlife on their attacks
  • Digmasters and Obelisk Towers attack twice as fast when below 50% maxlife
  • Max 2 generators of each type, and buff them (suggested before)
Goal: Address complaints about meleeing, make consumables more practical, discourage soloing objectives, gen placement matters more

Jouven
Resident
Resident
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Df1-Jouven

Re: Ideas/Suggestions for NY

#2 Post by Jouven »

I like all your ideas except the base hp change, that would require a lot of hero skill balancing because backdooring would become more viable, if a team goes together they can bring down a tier 1 base really fast. I know you imply a base heals itself but when doing spike/burst attack that doesn't matter.

Softmints
Visitor
Visitor

#3 Post by Softmints »

I would implement the bases' health changes fully to see how big of a problem backdooring is, and then give tier 2/3 bases a "special passive" that puts their effective health back where it was, if that proves to be needed.

The "special passive" might just be magic resistance, or it might be coded to only reduce damage from player-owned units, maybe only when no troops are around... whatever seems appropriate.

For a more complete solution to backdooring I think teleports would need tweaking, but that gets a bit technical and might interfere with the AIs.

watermelon
Yak's Secretary
Yak's Secretary
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: watermelon_1234

#4 Post by watermelon »

Oh hello. I didn't see this post last week.

A lot of these ideas are intriguing though I'm not sure if I would want to devote the coding effort and time to test the mechanic changes on a map where basically 4ish people play every weekend. =P If I did do any coding effort, it would be to remove the last hit mechanic because it's pretty terrible in a map that does encourage players to team up with each other. And yeah AoE is just too good.

Workers pulling waves is a pretty reasonable demand (would probably give hired workers just 1 HP to achieve that =P) though it seems like a hassle to make a trigger for the worker not at a gold mine yet.

On sieging, those changes would be pretty drastic so I'm not too inclined to do them since there are other factors involved with them. Like you said, teleporting would have to be tweaked a lot.
"Phantom Hooves"
Fun fact, I was considering such an item when I was trying to tweak Flo (even gave her a talent that basically does what you're suggesting). Melee heroes really get the brunt end of the stick with WC3's terribad pathing.

Consumable Suggestions: Yeah they probably should be buffed, though I don't really know how to tweak them so much since I almost never use them.

Obelisk/Digmaster buff: Interesting though I dunno if I would want to code that up. Digmaster rage could be potentially abusable by heroes who can heal, though it often doesn't work out so well since units tend to focus on the Digmaster more so than a tower.

Gen restriction: Seems iffy as it can make you pull your hair out at teammates that put gens however they like. Also this doesn't sound easy to implement with the way the gens work in EotA.

Softmints
Visitor
Visitor

#5 Post by Softmints »

A lot of these ideas are intriguing though I'm not sure if I would want to devote the coding effort and time to test the mechanic changes on a map where basically 4ish people play every weekend.
Can't fault that. I tried to keep them mostly pretty simple, aside from last-hits which might be worth the effort.

More siege will make games faster => you get more games => and fast feedback. I recommend it!