Zooming

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Skasi
Wanderer
Wanderer

Zooming

#1 Post by Skasi »

I'd like to have the default zoom level increased. As far as I know EotA is using WC3's standard 1650 camera distance, which is much too low for nearly everything. I myself use '-zoom 2222' (simply because it's quick to type) at the start of every game and would tell everyone else in my game to do so too. A higher distance allows much easier hero control - you don't have to spend half the game moving the camera just to see units right in front of you, you will have a far better overview as well as knowledge of your surroundings and thus be able to perform tactics with better chances of success (information is the key to most computer games, isn't it?).

I suggest increasing the default distance to at least 2000 to improve the gaming experience even for new people who are not yet aware of the -zoom command or experienced players who got too lazy to type the command again and again.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Zooming

#2 Post by DarnYak »

The main problem I have with this is I see quite a few complaints about how units are already too small.

DarnYak

Skasi
Wanderer
Wanderer

#3 Post by Skasi »

Err.. I was just about to create a new thread suggesting to use "Smaller collision volumes". Well, the model size of units really is a bit small. It's not too small, I wish it was even smaller for spawns, but it's not a problem if you just increased all unit model sizes by, say, 10% or so (especially for small heroes, like the mountain king and dreadlord). I think people complain about them being so small simply because the collision radius of most units is too big. They always cause jams, only a dozen of them can attack a building at once, etc. I'd say +10% model size and -25% collision radius, that's just random numbers I'd try.

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#4 Post by Kalrithus »

collision affects balance significantly especially in an AoS, its not something to enter into lightly

Skasi
Wanderer
Wanderer

#5 Post by Skasi »

You can't say "significantly" when all it does is increase the number of units that can attack a building at once by 33% or something.
AoE effects are balanced automatically: Using smaller collision means a higher possible unit density, but also that every single unit provides a smaller surface.
Less jam in the lanes affect every unit the same too.
Nothing else I can think of.

Anyway, my initial suggestion was to increase the default zoom, not anything related to collision. If people complain about scaling sizes being too small, just make them bigger, although I really liked the smaller ones compared to other AoS maps. Maybe they're even the same and it's just the -zoom option I use that makes them appear so.. "cute". Anyway!
Last edited by Skasi on September 12th, 2011, 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#6 Post by DarnYak »

You can't say "significantly" when all it does is increase the number of units that can attack a building at once by 33% or something.
AoE effects are balanced automatically: Using smaller collision means a higher possible unit density, but also that every single unit provides a smaller surface.
That's actualy two really huge effects right there.

DarnYak

Skasi
Wanderer
Wanderer

#7 Post by Skasi »

Uhm, the second does not count, I hope that's clear.
The first does not matter all that much, since right now units just attack multiple different towers. Of course focused fire is more efficient, but in the end the difference is minor, especially when siege units don't have to get into meele range and so tend to have enough space anyway.

Anyway, I already told Kalrothus: The initial idea was to change default zoom and model size, not collision volumes!

Kalrithus
Addict
Addict
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Roflfax

#8 Post by Kalrithus »

Actually from my tests it effects normal unit vs unit interactions as well, even if the creeps are a mirror when it comes to stats, terrain already plays a factor in how an individual battle will play out, reducing the collision size actively changes the outcome of each battle and can throw off lane balanced quite easily.

Skasi
Wanderer
Wanderer

#9 Post by Skasi »

It just affects the terrain-variable balance of single units, which is made up by the fact that EotA provides very different maps to play on.