Hero Suggestion: Blaze the Phoenix

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Zini
Wanderer
Wanderer
Realm: Northrend (Europe)
Battle.net name: Zini

Hero Suggestion: Blaze the Phoenix

#1 Post by Zini »

When ever I see the map preview picture I was wondering why is their a Phoenix? Of course the BP can summon them but is that really all? I think it should be time to add him as a new hero for the elven faction. I must say my knowledge of the EotA lore is quite low and I'm really awful when it comes to balance bare this in mind if you read the rest of this. :)

Name: Blaze
Model and name for the Hero Class: Phoenix
Faction: Elven Battalion

Role: Flying AoE damage and Support

Play style:
To play this hero successfully you need to use its fast speed and its ability to fly to get from one lane to another. Always be their were your devastating spells are needed. But you will always need to take care not to be shot down as its hit points are very low. Try to support from the back line and only go into the fray to unleash a fiery blast. If the situation becomes desperate crash into the ground to unleash a burning hell against your foes and pray none of them survives.

Lore:
Once a normal bird, well a big one. Blaze was living peacefully in his tranquilly woods. But one faithful day mystic and fiery energies from the God of Flames himself reached out. Slowly but steady the burning energy gathered in this poor little creature and it started to mutate. It began literally to burn but at the same time the fire didn't hurt him. The evolution of this bird was driven at an accelerated rate because of this energy. He developed a mind of his own, the ability to control some of the power and a free will. But their was also a great downside to it. Its mere presence caused all the placed he loved to burn down to nothing but ash. In order to save the land it knew and loved it was forced to leave and hide on unworldly places. It didn't take long till people got aware of this new beast. Trying to take its power for themselves they chased it. Blaze could avoid being capture for a time but it knew it would be impossible to shake his countless pursuers off without going to the much more dangerous places of the world. But in the end slave traders cough him. In its greatest time of need a miracle happened to him. It was saved by a mysterious man wielding fiery powers himself. The Blazing Priest and a small warband had attacked the slaves and killed them. Of course the Priest found greatest interest in this Phoenix. Feeling indebted to the Priest Blaze joined together with him the elven battalion.

Str: Very Low
Agi: Slightly above Average
Int: High

Intelligence is its main attribute and its auto-attack damage is high slightly above harpy

Initial skill
Name: Feather Rush
Role: Healing / Movement speed
Classification: Physical / Conjuration
Target: Area
Cast Range: 900
Cooldown: 45
The Phoenix will rush with highly increased movement speed to a target point. As it flies with this speed it gains immunity to any magic and releases several of its feathers that will heal allied units that come in contact with it by 2% of their maximum health. This spell will not break any effect currently effecting the Phoenix.

1st Skill:
Name: Sun Gaze
Role: AoE damage
Classification: Evocation
Cast Range: 600
Cooldown: 30
Scaling: Scales with int
The Phoenix will fly high into the sky becoming invulnerable because it is out of range and channels a fire beam that will strike anything below it at a small radius. This beam last for 5 second and is controllable. This blast can be moved around with roughly 60% of the heros movement speed. However the magical fires involved damage buildings only for 5% of the original damage.

2nd Skill
Name: Fiery Radiation
Role: AoE Damage
Classification: Conjuration
Target: Allied unit / Hero
Cast Range: 600
Cooldown: 15
Scaling: Only the explosion scales with int / Int and Evocation damage if a hero is targeted
This buff will have different effects based on the target of the spell. A non hero unit will deal around 6 damage per second to nearby enemies. If the buff is reapplied before the old buff wears of the buff is consumed and an explosion occurs dealing damage based on int of the hero.
A hero with this buff will have an improved damage based on its Int and Evocation damage.

3rd Skill
Name: Extinguish
Role: Single Dispel / Disable
Target: Any unit
Cast Range: 800
Cooldown: 20
Scaling: The damage done to summons scales with int
This will dispel a single target if it is an enemy he will not be able to use its auto-attack for a short duration. It will dispel only harmful debuffs on allies and buffs on enemies. However Magical Fire can be dispelled by this skill to trigger its secondary effect. Like other dispels it does damage to summoned unit and barriers.

4th Skill
Name: Magical Fire
Role: Passive mana buff / Debuff
Scaling: None
Target: Enemy heros
Cast Range: 800
Cooldown: 40
Passive: Each 5 seconds there is a 20% chance that the Phoenix will emit a warm wave increasing
mana on himself and nearby allies. Each time this effect activates their is a 25% chance to dispel 1 debuff currently affecting the Phoenix.
Active: Debuffs a single enemy hero. Reducing his mana over the course of 30 seconds. Each tick has a 5% chance to stun the enemy for 1 second. If this debuff is dispelled before it ends the hero gains all the lost mana back but takes the same amount damage.

Ultimate Skill
Name: Crash down
Role: AoE Nuke / Heal
Classification: Evocation
Cast Range: 500
Cooldown: 80
Scaling: This scales with Str and Evocation
The Phoenix will rush down towards the ground and crash into it causing a huge explosion. This will kill of the Phoenix and deal minor damage to any enemy in the blast zone. Each enemy surviving the initial explosion will find on himself a strong debuff that deals major damage over 3 seconds. Upon its death an egg is created and after 7 seconds the Phoenix will hatch again from it. The health of the Phoenix will now have as much health as the egg had in percent. Meaning if the egg had 100% life so does the Phoenix. If it had 50% the Phoenix does have 50%.
The egg has 50% of the Phoenix max health but takes only 50% damage from nukes its armor is 0.

Talents:

Healing Warmth
Levels: 3
Crystal cost: 30/36/42
Sun Gaze will now heal friendly units in a larger area then it does damage for 10/20/30 percent of the damage done.

After Burn
Levels: 3
Crystal cost: 20/25/30
Sun Gaze will now leave a fire behind dealing 10/20/30 percent of its original damage over 5 seconds

Phoenix Skin
Level: 1
Crystal cost: 8
The presence of the phoenix will now burn enemy units. This gives the phoenix fire ability we know from WC3. An affected unit will take 8 damage once it is hit and 2 damage per second over 8 seconds in this time it cannot be hit again.

Pulsing Radiation
Crystal Cost: 25
Fiery Radiation will now unleash a second wave for half its damage right after the first was fired.
The Explosion caused by this spell will now heal unit which was the source of the explosion by 50% of its Health Points

Rekindle Summons
Crystal Cost: 15
Extinguish will now heal allied summoned units for half the damage it would do to hostile summons.

Rebirth
Levels: 2
Crystal Cost: 20/28
Reduces the time the Phoenix has to spend in an egg after using Crash down by 1/2 second(s).
Last edited by Zini on September 16th, 2009, 5:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

Re: Hero Suggestion: Blaze the Phoenix

#2 Post by CryptLord1234 »

What kind of dmg / healing / what-have-you are we looking at? What stat modifies what spell? At the very least, tell us that.

And I think Feather Rush should be a target location, rather than straight forward.

Other than that, pretty good idea. I'd play it.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Zini
Wanderer
Wanderer

#3 Post by Zini »

Woha a fast replay thanks for that :).

I thought a while if I should add values to it or not. But then I thought that I would do it wrong anyway and either horribly over- or underpower this hero but if it is needed I will take some time to make suggestions. I added the scaling to the spells getting numbers will take a while longer.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#4 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Yeah, numbers aren't necessary, but having an idea of how stuff scales, and what stats are used is helpful, so we at least know that it does scale and isn't just a flat number.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Zini
Wanderer
Wanderer

#5 Post by Zini »

I have thought about your suggestion making Feather Rush using a target. I would prefer this skill to be a little harder to handle and having more difference between this and fenris dream run. Also this is not meant to allow chasing enemies hero what you could do when you could select a region but to escape. So I would prefer to let it be as it is in this point. This being said I'm no longer sure about the duration either. I was imagining the speed of a level 3-4 dream run. But 4 seconds would send you to far then so reducing I think reducing this to 1 second would be good.

Back to the scaling

Sun Gaze should scale mostly like Tempest both in terms of mana costs and damage however since its radius is much slower it should still deal more damage around 25% more then tempest.

Magical Fire should drain more mana then Mana Rush give. Lets say 1000 over 60 seconds.

Fiery Radiation on the other hand should do on level an average of 10 per second but have a rather high damage increase from int. The idea behind is that it should be worth for one of the more squishy casters to go to the front line and endanger himself their to deal in return high damage. While tanks deal much less damage since they are more common to be seen in front of mobs.

Crash Down should deal very high damage, more than grand rune maybe 35% more since it has an very high risk of being killed afterwards. To balance that out make it affect allies as well. However the damage dealt to allies should be reduced by 75%. It should also be said that it should only deal a low amount of damage to buildings around 20%.

Dekar
Jelly Doughnut
Battle.net name: Dekar

#6 Post by Dekar »

Feather Rush: This spell can look very good in a map, I made a testmap with a similiar skill some months ago. From a players perspective point targeted will always be prefered. Good skill for an innate.

Sun Gaze: Nice skill, your best idea. I like it.

Fiery Radiation: Relies too much on allied heroes, make it at least useable on normal units. Basically just adds immolation to a unit, needs something special added. Maybe make it buff the target a good amount?

Extinguish: Well, a dispel. Removes attack, so its an ok skill I guess.

Magical Fire: A nice support skill but lacks the WOAH!.

Crash Down: The problem may be, that it deals more damage than Grand Rune and cannot be stopped. There is no risk in being in egg form when everything is dead.
<EotA@Azeroth> YAKS GO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dekar: the ultimate ocean themed hero should buff and depend on spawn waves!
DarnYak: why is that
Dekar: WAVES
Dekar: :D
DarnYak: i was afraid that was the answer

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#7 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Dekar wrote:Crash Down: The problem may be, that it deals more damage than Grand Rune and cannot be stopped. There is no risk in being in egg form when everything is dead.
There is if your opponent saw this coming, and hit an Anti-magic potion. In fact, you're kinda really screwed then.

As for your point about Extinguish/Magical Fire, do keep in mind the synergy between the two. That having been said, I still think you have a point about Magical Fire, but again, there is some synergy there.

Zini
Wanderer
Wanderer

#8 Post by Zini »

First thanks for the comments.

Indeed feather rush would had a better handling making it a target point spell. Since you 2 said it I will change it.

The core idea was that fiery radiation relies on allied heros. It makes it situational but still has a high potential. However I see the point that people might dislike it since they want to play more self centered. So I thought about possible changes and this is what I came up with.

Name: Burning Faith
Role: Buff
Scaling: None
On the first level
Reduces a target non-hero unit receives from magic sources by 40% (for ever if not dispelled) and increases his life regeneration by 8 for 15 seconds. All friendly non-hero units nearby gain the same life regeneration. If the target that has the spell resistance dies it is revived as a burning version of itself. Dealing X damage to enemies surrounding it while its life regeneration is drastically increased by around 200 but the regeneration effect decreases by 2 each second once it reaches 0 the unit dies again as the fire is put out. As for the Graphics I suggest adding a fire to the hand attachments points.
Each level would increase the resistance by around 5% while the regeneration increases by around 6 each level.

Name: Fiery Radiation
Role: Passive AoE Damage
Scaling: Only the explosion scales with int / Int and Evocation damage if a hero is targeted
This buff will have different effects based on the target of the spell. A non hero unit will deal around 6 damage per second to nearby enemies. If the buff is reapplied before the old buff wears of the effect will consumed and an explosion occurs dealing damage based on int of the hero
A hero with this buff will have an improved damage based on its Int and Evocation damage.

As for Magical Fire I see it comes down to be a boring skill mostly. I don't really have an idea how to change that one without overloading this spell. This being said I still would like to add one of the following effects.
If the debuffs runs out half of the burned mana is added as health to the Phoenix if it was dispelled the Phoenix gains mana equal to the damage done.
The mana refreshing wave will increased evocation damage for 2 seconds by 25% for allied heros (not self)
Each wave has a 50% chance to reveal invisible enemies.
Each tick of the debuff has a 5% chance to stun the enemy for 1 second and each mana restoration wave has a chance 25% to dispel 1 debuff currently affecting the Phoenix.

I still think Crash down bears a huge risk an enemy hero blinking suddenly in or surviving it closely. A cast time on this spell would ruin it. To balance this out all I can think of is reducing the damage dealt. Maybe your right and its damage should be below or nearly the same as grand rune. Getting rid of the magical resistance could also work as it would then be incredibly easy to one shot it. Taken the low health points of the phoenix and the even lower health of the egg. Also their still ways to counter this Garg glimmer for example or the anti-magic potion as said by CryptLord. When it comes to waves leaded by a tank hero you might not be able to use it at all.

Cokemonkey11
Addict
Addict
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Cokemonkey11

#9 Post by Cokemonkey11 »

Skill 1 is sweet, innate could use some work.
I miss EotA :(

Zini
Wanderer
Wanderer

#10 Post by Zini »

Thanks Cokemonkey

I updated Fiery Radiation and Magical Fire while I might change crash down so the first impact deals only minor damage and a dot is applied for 3 seconds doing high damage.