Undead - Lightmeddler

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Ion
Communist

Undead - Lightmeddler

#1 Post by Ion »

Name: Lightmeddler
Hero Model: Archmage

Hero Explaination:

Instead of doing my usual novel on a story no one really cares about, I thought I'd stick in what the hero does so everyone understands what I'm talking about.

The Lightmeddler's an undead hero. He's primarily a caster, as you can probably tell by the model, with a ranged attack, int-based, etc. He's got an odd-set of skills however. The Lightmeddler has two "sub-sets" of his skills, which I called "Illuminate" and "Blackout". Illuminate powers skills with light, Blackout with darkness: however this isn't in the traditional sense of "LOL LITE IS GEWD N DRK IZ BAD LOLOL!!!1". This is in the literal sense, playing around with complete illumination and complete darkness.

Everytime the Lightmeddler casts his innate, it switches his skills. He gets basically..12 skills then. However, the skills stay practically the same: most of the time the effects are either reversed or they have "differences" (not always opposites). Cooldowns carry over to spells even if they are switched.

Skills

Innate:

Instant Cast
Illuminate
Shadowshift

Bit of a complex spell, lemme explain.

These two spells act as buffers for all the other skills the Lightmeddler has. When the Lightmeddler activates Illuminate, his staff glows and all his skills are immediately empowered with light-based effects (which changes what spells do). The same goes for Blackout, except his staff now emits a dark aura over a brighter one, and the spells are empowered with darkness-based effects.

As well as that, light/dark powered spells have "proficiencies" at their respective times of day. Whilst they day/night don't change the skill itself, it morphs some of the effects in the spell (adds, removes or amplifies them).

Both are interchangable, and when you cast one it replaces the other. It costs 10% of the Lightmeddler’s maximum mana to cast the spell (just so that it won’t be ridiculous with a Lightmeddler pummeling effects back and forth) but this could easily be altered if it’s seen uhm..inefficient or not worthy of working.

Wasn’t that hard really. Oh yeah, and Illuminate/Blackout also causes all spells to have an immediate one-second cooldown UNLESS the spell is already on a cooldown, in which case it continues it’s previous cooldown.

Skill A:

Starwell
Channeling

Channels a large star above a unit. The star expands per second channeled, and lasts 6 (50/60/70/80/90/100% damage, 6 seconds of channeling meaning full damage). At the end of channeling, or whenever channeling is halted, the star falls and explodes, dealing damage in a large area of effect and dazes them (-% move/attack) for a short period of time.

Damage should probably be Int. based.

DAY: Dazes units in a large area and gives them a small % chance to be stunned.

Blackout
Channeling

Over 4 seconds, the LM creates a large cloud of darkness which encases the hero. Over the 4 seconds, the targeted hero will become spastic and will run in random directions in an area around where he was standing (area increases per level).

Deals minimal Int. based damage.

Another fact is that for every unit the enemy hero hits while under the influence of this spell, he will recieve an additional amount of damage based on his Str. (higher Str. higher damage).

If the spell is interupted all effects immediatly stop, as well one should note that the movement speed while under the effects of this spell are greatly increased and do not last after the spell is done.

NIGHT: At the end of the spell, reduces the hero's attack rate for a short period of time.

Skill B:

Lightbeam
Line-based Instant Cast

Fires off a ray of light in a line (obviously). The light burns units, dealing a small amount of Int. based damage and leaves a buff/trigger "Burned" on the unit. Under the effects of Burned, the target unit recieves damage over time per attack recieved (he is attacked by an archer > recieves damage + 10% of that over 5 seconds).

DAY: Reduces the hit-rate of units in a line.

Nightshade
AoE Target (Medium)
Instant

Fires off a large explosion of dark-energy. Debuffs units, reducing their armor for a short period of time. As well, all units caught in the blast will be buffed by "Nightshade" which gives a random % chance per second for a "Shadow" to spontaneously pop into existance and begin attacking the unit. Shadow's themselves have a ranged attack and last only a few seconds, and will attack the unit they spawned off of. They can be dispelled, though normal attacks have a very low % chance to hit them.

NIGHT: Increases the life-time of Shadows by 15%.

Skill C:

Radiance
Self-cast

Creates a shield of light around the Lightmeddler. The shield increases the movement and attack speed (%) of nearby units (not the LM). As well, whenever the LM is hit by an attack (ranged or melee), a ray of light will penetrate the agressor firing off a counter-attack which deals a small amount of Str. based damage.

The shield drains mana per second and slows the LM's movement/attack speed (%) as long as the shield is kept up.

NIGHT: The increased attack speed and movement speed (%) only occur doing the night.

Night Armor
Targetable

Instills a powerful enchantment upon an enemy unit, infusing the enemies armor with a terrible curse. While under the effects of Night Armor, the unit will suffer increased damage % per attack and spell damage (%) per attack. However, Night Armor is similar to Rune Shell in the sense it has "life". When the "life" of Night Armor runs out, the spell is no longer in effect.

Also note that if the target unit is under the effects of Shadowpain as well as Night Armor, the unit will have an increased % chance per second to summon forth a Shadow.

DAY: The damage amplified (%) is increased slightly during the day.

Skill D:

Ignition
Targetable (Cast-Time)

Magnifies a beam of light from the sun and directs it at a unit. Has a cast-time prior to firing off the spell. When shot, the spell sets a single unit on fire, dealing damage to the unit over time (damage multipliers explained in post-script). Whenever the enflammed unit comes in contact with a normal unit, there is a % chance the normal unit will catch on fire too. The % to set on fire is also amplified if the unit is already affected by burns.

The damage multiplier is a damage over time one. If the unit is a normal unit, the damage multiplier is based on the Str. of the Lightmeddler. If the unit happens to be a hero, the damage is based on the str. of the enemy hero. Therefore, the higher the str. of the enemy hero, the more damage the enemy hero recieves per second.

DAY: Can only be used during the day.

Manifest Darkness
AoE Target (Small)
Channeling

Creates a huge cloud of darkness around the hero, which eventually morphs into a large elemental-esque monster. The monster is controllable by the LM player. Although it cannot move, it has a very long attack range, and can hit multiple units with it's attack.

It also has a number of abilities which I will update on a later day (feel free to suggest). Works somewhat like the AA's Fam., only it cannot move, must be channeled and can be dispelled.

Whilst the LM is invulnurable because "Darkness" (as I will call it) forms a protective barrier around him, Darkness himself is vulnurable to attacks. The spell should last only 20-60 seconds (max) and in the event that Darkness dies, the LM will become vulnurable, but unable to act for a few seconds (1-3).

If he finishes casting the spell "Darkness" dissipiates and there is no negative effect.

NIGHT: Can only be used during the night.

DARKNESS ABILITIES
(LD@) = Learned at

LD@Lv. 1: Aura of Fear
Activatable

Drains mana per second while activated. Aura of Fear lowers the attack damage (%) of nearby units, as well as increasing their movement speed (%). Every second, there is a small % chance that a unit under the effects of the Aura of Fear will "run-away", turning tail and running around the area in random directions for x seconds (similar to the Sorrow Liege's fear spell).

LD@Lv. 2 :Shadowray
Line-based Instant Cast

Unleashs a ray of line-damage, which reduces the armor of all units caught in the line and deals damage based on the Int. of the Lightmeddler.

If the LM also has Nightshade, x-y number of Shadows will spawn (depending on the number of units hit in the line) for z seconds.

LD@Lv. 4: Darkness
Activatable

Semi-passive skill. When activated, Darkness expands: stretching the Darkness cloud over a large area of effect. Under the effects of the cloud nearby allied units will be turned invisible, and will stay that way so long as they remain under the cloud (but do become visible when they attack). All allied units also have a % chance to dodge an attack under Darkness.

If the unit also has the "Blackout" skill, there is a chance per second that while under the Darkness cloud, enemy units will be blinded (highly reduced hit-rate [%]) for a short period of time.

LD@Lv. 6: Dark Dimension
On-death Passive

When Darkness dies he leaves behind a small "black-hole"-esque unit. The unit pulls in all nearby units towards the center of the black-hole. After a few seconds, the Black-hole implodes, damaging all units in accordance with how far they are from the black-hole.

As well as that, all nearby units are randomly teleported to an area around the black-hole. The farther away the unit is, the larger the possible area of being transported-to is. Both allied and enemy units are affected by the transport, but not the damage.

If the LM has the spell Night Armor (and has it equipped), all heroes affected by the spell will be targeted with Night Armor, however 50% of the armor's health will be drained.

Ultimate:

Warp Time
Cast-Time No-Target spell

Time Warp is simple. It changes the time of day, citing the polar opposite of the current time (if it is 6:36 AM it becomes 6:36 PM). However, with a change in day there also comes a number of negative effects. All units, allied and enemy around the LM when he uses Time Warp will suffer heavily reduced movement speed and attack speed, and the LM will be stunned for a short period of time.

I'll add more stuff later. Comments, suggestions, etc. please. Took me awaile to write, so thanks for the read. I'll add talents as well later.
Last edited by Ion on August 30th, 2006, 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ion.

Ion
Communist

#2 Post by Ion »

Double-post. Couldn't help adding story.

k for anyone who actually reads this, so no one bugs me about "LOL ITS N ARCHMAGE ON TH UNDED!!1!11oneone111"

I wrote it, but it was too long. I'm going to shorten it and not include his full life-story, just why he joined the undead.

1) He was a diplomat for the Elves for sometime. He is of Half-Elven, Half-Human decent.

2) He maintained diplomatic relations with the former human kingdom (before the Undead) and was responsible for the control of humans in the area.

3) Was a great practitioneer (and still is) of magic relating to light, time and the manipulation of space.

4) Due to philisophical and working differences, as well as being sickened by the elves' treatment of humans, he left the Elven Kingdom/Empire/Whatever and hermited for several years, honing his magical skills.

5) Hearing of eternal-life being promised in a human kingdom, he made a pilgrimage there to witness the spectacle himself.

6) Being a well-like diplomat in the area, he climbed the political ladder of the kingdom and was one of the top officials and studiers of the magic of eternal life.

7) Was one of the magistrates spared in Halo's coup d'état. Infact, he openly welcomed Halo and the Grim Brigade, and was one of the few ex-royalists to withstand the new regime, as well as support it.

8) Is technically "immortal", but only by the same standards as Halo and the others (being a high-elf however he can live much longer, thus explaining his still life-like appearance).

9) Served as a diplomat and advisor to Halo for several years. Having not fought in combat recently, but having a good track-record on magical study, he's been sent on his first few missions along with the Grim Brigade and several other magicians to locate, find and capture the artifact. He is part of the party that invaded Gloomreap, having believed to have located the position of the artifact (and was the person to relay information to Halo on it's supposed location).
Ion.

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Undead - Lightmeddler

#3 Post by Elle »

Ion wrote: Skill C:

Radiance
Self-cast

Creates a shield of light around the Lightmeddler. The shield increases the movement and attack speed (%) of nearby units (not the LM). As well, whenever the LM is hit by an attack (ranged or melee), a ray of light will penetrate the agressor firing off a counter-attack which deals a small amount of Str. based damage.

The shield drains mana per second and slows the LM's movement/attack speed (%) as long as the shield is kept up.

NIGHT: The increased attack speed and movement speed (%) only occur doing the night.

Night Armor
Targetable

Instills a powerful enchantment upon an enemy unit, infusing the enemies armor with a terrible curse. While under the effects of Night Armor, the unit will suffer increased damage % per attack and spell damage (%) per attack. However, Night Armor is similar to Rune Shell in the sense it has "life". When the "life" of Night Armor runs out, the spell is no longer in effect.

Also note that if the target unit is under the effects of Shadowpain as well as Night Armor, the unit will have an increased % chance per second to summon forth a Shadow.

DAY: The damage amplified (%) is increased slightly during the day.
Is the Day/Night effect thing the wrong way around, or what?

Ion
Communist

#4 Post by Ion »

No, infact it isn't.

I wanted to challange the normal perception of how skills should work and throw in a bit of chemistry. It'll probably mean accomidating more with his ultimate so it's easier to switch between times of day, but I don't want just a standard "light spells work better in the day lol!!!".

Wanted to try something different, where people would have to think about what skills they were going to use pre-hand. It would be very flexible (I don't expect his ult to have a long cooldown, nor do I find it necessary to his success, though it helps).

Also means people can't just do the "switch to dark skills at night/light skills in the day". You're actually going to have to use the Innate (which is apart of the hero build).
Ion.

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

#5 Post by Elle »

Okie dokie, cool.

Ion
Communist

#6 Post by Ion »

No other critisms? =(
Ion.

Elle
Visitor
Visitor

#7 Post by Elle »

No, Sophie. None at all.

AlienFromBeyond
Resident
Resident

#8 Post by AlienFromBeyond »

Good job on this Ion. It's funny because a couple days ago I was thinking of writing some sort of "Light Demon" hero. You beat me to the punch, and yours is more thought out anyways. And the hero as a whole seems to be within Yak's grasp of making as well ;).

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#9 Post by CryptLord1234 »

Seems to be an interesting hero, but although I'd give it a shot, probably not something I'd be too crazy about. I could also see it being kinda hard on newbs, due to the whole day/night thing. (I know someone's gonna say, "So don't pick him, duh." :P)

Other than that, I've got nothing to say that hasn't been said.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

Ion
Communist

#10 Post by Ion »

Updated Manifest Darkness to include Darkness' abilities.

=/
Ion.

Furion
Resident
Resident

#11 Post by Furion »

he would offer interesting tactics on kedge ....

you name his innitate with illuminate and shadowshift but in the explanation you call it blackout ... uhm i think you mistyped sth there

well, he wont be easy to play (although...easier then the vamp)
but his ultimate seems a bit week to me
since his skill got effects during night and day
If you want a certain spell, but you first have to change the spell, then use your ulti to make the special bonus work...seems a bit ineffective to me
Let our last stand burn a memory so bright it will be remembered FOREVER!

-Artanis

Hammel
Addict
Addict
Location: The other side of the world... wait, the world is flat, right?

#12 Post by Hammel »

LM would be plain imba on Kedge because he could simply set time of day to what he likes. The enemy would never get the tear (Ult short before tear spawn) and you could get twice as many (Ult at 11 am), as long as tear spawn depends on Time of Day. Changing it to be timer-dependant would make it's story useless, though.

So I say: Give him a new ultimate, like a "Twilight" buff that makes any of the special bonuses work, no matter what time it is.

-Ham

Shadow.M4L
Resident
Resident

#13 Post by Shadow.M4L »

Well maybe you could use a area debuff or a aura for a short time that make units more weak again these spells instead changing timezone.
I love this spell idea its realy great but like Ham said it wont work out on Kegdes.

Tehw00tz
Corpse
Corpse
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

#14 Post by Tehw00tz »

It's innovative, I like the abilities, although he sounds very complicated. And most people would stick to the "Light is gewd dark iz bad!!!1" thing because they are close-minded.
ДɷϣRØLEɷӟP

Ion
Communist

#15 Post by Ion »

I'm sure Yak could fix something to do with it. I merely proposed the idea.

Yak, if you ever read this, what are your thoughts?
Ion.

Ion
Communist

#16 Post by Ion »

You never did tell me.

=P
Ion.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

#17 Post by CryptLord1234 »

This guy sounds awesome; a new and unique way to play. The light/dark idea is awesome. Maybe a little hard to code, but if it could get in, I would certainly give him a shot.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

A_New_Dawn
Addict
Addict

#18 Post by A_New_Dawn »

Wow you really did your homework Ion, looks awsome. Though some of it sounds a little fizzy--confusing. So certain effects are added when Night/Day happen? and can he only use certain spells during the Day/Night? Other than that looks very cool.

P.S. some of your coloring is kinda hard on the eyes maybe make the yellow darker or something and some of the pinks. Great job though.
--AND

Yellow
Pinks