Hero Suggestion: Moobles the Loremaster

Submit hero or skill concepts for critiquing and potential implementation.
Ion
Communist

Hero Suggestion: Moobles the Loremaster

#1 Post by Ion »

Hero Name: Loremaster
Character name: Moobles
Model: Gul'dan
Don't care about the race, Orc would fit best though.

An agèd Orc of old, armed with a staff and magic tome. Once a great Mage and well-known explorer, the Loremaster was driven insane when he read from an arcane tome located deep beneath the earth. He now seeks only to bring the stories from within his terrible tome to life and to witness them in real time.

Ranged hybrid Int-based caster who uses a lot of weird spells. Actually came up with this hero ages and ages ago but I've altered it because Blizzard just scrapped a good potential D3 class.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read (Innate)

Spellbook, with several different genres in it that change the 'theme' of his spells. When you activate them an animation that fits the theme should come up. Small cooldown and should take maybe half a second or a second to switch. These are a short overview of the themes, each spell-specific effect is explained within the spell.

I'm only including four in this 'first version' of the Loremaster, but I have seven labelled here. For the ones included in the spells this far, there's a star beside their name.

Comedy (C)*
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads from a hilarious story. Inspired, his magical creations reflect his sanity and things just get ridiculous. His spells become rather ridiculous.
Doctrine (D)
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads from a political doctrine. Angry at the state of the world in whatever story he read from, the Loremaster feels in a destructive mood. His spells become more damaging and offensive.
Fantasy (F)
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads from a fantastical story. His spells deviate from their purpose and are altered to fit odd situations.
Horror (H)*
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads a horrific story. Inspired by the violence, his spells become more horrific and damaging.
Romance (R)*
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads from a romantic story. Hoping to build on his social relationships, his spells become more supportive and helpful.
Mystery (M)
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads from a mysterious chapter. Unsure of what he just read, the Loremaster decides to create a mysterious spell of his own. Spells become random.
Tragedy (T)*
The Loremaster opens his tome and reads a tragic story. Depressed, his spells favor debuffs.

Below are some proposed regular skills. I include more then is typically allotted not because I want him to have like 5 skills, but just to give some options into looking what skills are the best. **EDIT however this took me forever so you just see the shell of my 5th proposed skill, oh well.
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Questbolt (Regular skill)
"The Loremaster fires out Quests at people using bolt projectiles.".
- Single-point spell; Questbolt is the Loremaster's main nuke. It's meant to be used to damage though whether you're intending to PK or harass is up to what you read. The 'Quest' aspect of the Questbolt is misleading, since Quests to the Loremaster are often quite sadistic. All Questbolts should be Deathblows.

(C) ROFLbolt: Fires a bolt of rofl at an enemy. When struck by ROFLbolt, the target's screen will get SPLAT'd (like the animation, with the big exploding sheep). After a 3-5s delay (random) there will be a large explosion, everyone receives some AoE damage (Int. based) and there's an x% chance units will be Polymorphed.
Unfortunately for the target, the Loremaster's 'quest' is to simply survive the ROFLbolt.
Talent... 'Polybug': Random chance to randomly create (x-y) polymorphed (whatever the fattest Orc) units in a circle around the target. Just for kicks and giggles (they should die after x seconds).

(H) Horrorbolt: Fires a bolt of terror at an enemy (black Fireball graphic?). When struck by the Horrorbolt, the target hero is DoT'd and temporarily slowed (if possible, a Purge slow that recovers overtime without actually Purging and dispelling things on them, but w/e). For every seceond while the hero is DoT'd however there's an x% that a Zombie, Ghoul or Wraith will spawn and attack the hero.
The quest here is to experience the pain of the Undead.
- The Zombie/Ghoul/Wraith's health should be based on the Loremaster's STR. and they should die after y seconds (timed health).
- When the UD units spawn, they should automatically attack the hero
- They should be pretty fast; a talent could make them faster.
- Wraith's should have a lifesteal attack and 100% evasion, but very low health (one AoE spell should do them away), whereas Zombies and Ghouls are regular.

(R) Lovebolt: Fires a bolt of love at an enemy. The Lovebolt doesn't actually do any damage; instead it heals in an AoE around the Loremaster. The target hero who is struck by Lovebolt however will target the Loremaster and try and attack him for (x) seconds, and should have increased speed and attack speed for the duration of the infatuation.
The quest here is to hit the Loremaster ^^.
- When struck by Lovebolt, I envisioned the hero essentially making a bee-line towards the Loremaster. This would be good near towers or when heroes are trying to run away.

(T) Emobolt: Fires a depressing bolt at an enemy. Deals Int. based damage, reduces the target's movement speed (as a debuff) for a short period of time. In addition, a cloud will appear over the hero's head which rains on him and randomly fires thunder in a small AoE around the hero for the duration of the debuff.
Emobolt has no quest, because life is too depressing.
¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Lornado (Regular skill)
"The Loremaster focuses his knowledge of stories into several massive lore-nados.".
- AoE target spell; Lornado is the AoE/crowd-control spell of the Loremaster.

(C) Lmaonado: Creates one single giant loreado that moves around erratically in the AoE targeted. As it spins around it fires exploding sheep out of its epicenter, which randomly fly up in the air and blow up on the ground, dealing x damage.
Talent... 'Aries Sheep Flu': Sheeps may be infected with Domestic Aries Flu (think Avian Bird Flu...) and when they explode units nearby will be plagued.

(H) Fearnado: A lorenado with an aura of fear, units near it have (n%) chance to get Feared (like Sorrow Liege's spell). Units who are killed near the Fearnado have an (x%) chance of exploding on death, dealing small AoE damage and raising a Zombie. Zombies should have a black arrow attack (if possible) that makes it so when they kill a unit they also become a zombie.

(R) Romando: A healing lorenado, it follows the Loremaster and is ethereal. Heals nearby units for (n%) HP p/s and/or (x%) MP p/s.
Talent...'Winds of Change': If the Emonado is killed by a spell (i.e a Dispel, Nuke etc.) it converts half the damage it took into AoE damage around the Emonado's corpse :' (.

(T) Tearnado: Spawns x tearnados which float around the target AoE slowly. Units close to the Tearnados are drenched in tears and become Depressed, with a debuff that reduces damage (by a %), increases chance to miss (by a %) and reduces hit point regeneration (DoT I guess). Tearnados have a random chance per second of committing suicide and exploding in a gust of wind, dealing AoE damage (based on how much life they had left).
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Bookspeak (Regular skill)
"The Loremaster narrates from his tome out loud to empower his friends and demoralize his enemies.".
- AoE channel no-target spell; A weird mixed buff/debuffer AoE skill that works as a secondary crowd-controller and something fun to use on bridges and the like.

(C) Hilarious Epic: A hilarious epic where everything is supposed to be serious but nothing ends up making sense. Sheep will randomly explode around the Loremaster (talent applies to exploding sheep) dealing AoE damage, enemy units have a random % chance to be Polymorphed for a short amount of time, and a % chance per second for a pack of Wolves to spawn and terrorize nearby unfortunate opponents (should have their life based on Str. and should have timed life).

(H) Horrific Tale: Randomly raises nearby corpses as Zombies (at higher Levels should also give a chance to raise a Wraith and perhaps at Level 6 an Abomination or Frost Wyrm out of several corpses). A Dark Cloud will also float over the Loremaster and there will be random angry red thunder bolts that deal a small amount of damage.

(R) Liebelieder: A wonderful story about love. Friendly units nearby the Loremaster will have increased attack damage and attack speed and will also enjoy increased health regeneration. Enemy units will become jealous and will attempt to attack the Loremaster (taunt). Enemy units within a very small AoE range (150-250?) around the Loremaster will get burned by his love. After he's finished casting the spell, the Loremaster turns invisible for 7 seconds.

(T) Tragic Vignette: Shorter channeling then usual. A tragic story of loss. Any heroes caught within the Tragic Vignette are deathblowed (despite not getting attacked by a Deathblow; the story is so sad it just struck them the same way). At the end of the Tragic Vignette, all enemy units with positive buffs will have them reversed into buffs causing a DoT and reduced move/attack speed.
Infoward (Regular skill)

More to come later; a ward that channels some themes (may not do it iono).
Raise Myth Golem (Regular skill)
"The Loremaster creates a mythical Golem familiar to aid him in his inane babblings.".
- Raises a Golem that acts like a ground familiar. Unlike the AA, the Loremaster shouldn't take damage if the Golem dies. Instead, he should just lose an additional amount of mana (if he has none perhaps convert half into damage). This is to compensate for the fact the Golem's AI is probably going to be stupid sometimes, get stuck, etc. I won't post all potential Golem spells, I'll just post each of the different "Myth" Golems depending on what theme the Loremaster creates one in.

(C) Lawlem: A comedic Golem, the Lawlem is one of the most feared creations of the Loremaster. It's a rather weak tank, deals med-to-low damage and has some funny spells (Cluster Rockets and a push-back spell maybe?) However, starting at Level 1 everytime a Lawlem is struck there is a % it will explode, dealing damage based on the Loremaster's Str. in an area. Deals half damage to allied units. The % chance the Lawlem will explode increases as its health goes down. The AoE of the Lawlem's explosion also has a chance to increase the lower the Lawlem's health is.

(H) Abomination: A terrifying creature reeking of death and horror 'n shit. The Abomination should have plague, be very big and perhaps should be able to eat regular units. Used as a reliable, hearty tank (in comparison to the Lawlem).

(R) Golove: A supportive Golem, it should mostly hang out by the Loremaster and use healing spells, etc.

(T) Tragigolem: Has an aura of slow, but also have a slower-then-normal attack speed and movement speed. Units who hit the Tragigolem should have a % chance to get Depressed (units who are already Depressed and aren't heroes should have a % to die).

I somewhat ran out of ideas here, or got lazy. Feel free to make comments and put up your own ideas.
Arcane Poetry (Ultimate)
"The Loremaster makes poetry through his weird brand of magic.".
- It's just his Ultimate, with the different themes.

(C) Last Laugh: Long channel, then (if possible) a laughing .sfx and an exclamation mark buff over the Loremaster. After x seconds (should be a talent to lower the time limit) the Loremaster will explode. He won't die (necessarily) but he'll take a lot of damage and deal a lot of damage (Int. based) in a large AoE. If he's killed after a successful Last Laugh channel then he should explode as well. He deals the damage in full to himself and enemies, and half to allies.

(H) Highway to Hell: Long channel; during the channeling random craters form, dealing AoE damage within them. After a few seconds, portals form over the craters and Demons and Infernals start popping out wrecking havoc.

(R) Passion and Flame: Long channel; during the course of the channeling, nearby allied units will be randomly healed by passionate flames of love (Int. based). Enemy units near units being healed will be burned for a portion of the amount healed. Randomly during the channeling, fiery novas will burst out from Loremaster dealing damage to enemy units and healing allied units. Should be deliberately less good and large than Corona and Firestorm.

(T) At World's End: Long channel. During that time, a circle (kind of in Grand Rune fashion) should be carved around the target area of At World's End. If channeling is succesful, a massive portal should form. After a few seconds, all nearby units within a large range should be sucked into the portal. They are then randomly teleported across the map; however, they should be teleported specifically on their side (so on Stormwail red gets teleported to an area on the right side of the map, blue left etc.) Enemy heroes are banished on re-entry and debuffed with depression and take some Int. based damage. Allied units are not hurt; the Loremaster should be uneffected.

Thoughts and reasoning.

As much as this hero seems like a joke I actually think he'd be fun to play. Iono if Yak would take to making a hero that satirizes a lot like this but I thought I'd give it a shot. At the very least hopefully got some kicks and giggles. His ults may not fit his char iono, feel free to comment. Some stuff is obviously OP.

I'd play him, but he'd be a serious bitch to program.
Ion.

CryptLord1234
Addict
Addict

Re: Hero Suggestion: Moobles the Loremaster

#2 Post by CryptLord1234 »

I actually had a lot of fun reading this guy's abilities. I don't think he would be added, but I would definitely play him if he was. Although some of the names are odd.

Do add the other 3 types of spells, though. You have 7 in his innate, but only 4 are used.
"L4D2 promises to set a new benchmark for co-op games. . ." Like L4D promised to hand us new maps, survivors, and zombies? We've seen how that works.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired
Realm: Lordaeron (U.S. West)
Battle.net name: Dark_Nemesis

#3 Post by DarkNemesis »

I dunno, this guy seems hugely overpowered. I like the overall concept, but you seem to share the same identities with Perhaps when it comes to naming things. Not bashing, but they are kinda strange.

To me, this guy seems like a badass version of the Blazing priest and Shaman combined, I'm not referring personal inspiration, but the sheer potential of domineering a single path against any wave or hero.

And could you explain the thousands of different spells better? I'm a little confused on their play style. Is it like a Neph thing, where you choose and cycle or what? I assume they have CD's though :|

Good job, though, you seem to have put alot of thought into this. A modified version (less uber n' such) of this guy, would, imo, be greatly appreciated in the hero clan. Eota needs another all-around hero, Shammy could use the competition.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.
DarkNemesis: Reaper, you're an idiot.

DarnYak
Site Admin
Site Admin

#4 Post by DarnYak »

What i like about this hero is its setup in a way that doesn't require making 40 skills for one hero, like neph does. Very interesting concept, and not hard to impliment. This might actually get implimented in some form...

Although, I'm not sure where this faction would go. I don't deny the model fits, but he doesn't fit the fel orc theme. Creep is also out. Elf would fit (Medivh model is the obvious one...althogh you could possibly go with archmage, or one of the elf priest varients. I could also see it fitting UD in a weird way, maybe the ghost Kel'thuzad model, although then i think his theme would need to be a bit darker (comedy and romance specificly)

DarnYak

Perhaps
Retired
Retired

#5 Post by Perhaps »

Blizzard didn't scrap the idea, they just never had intent of putting it in, since it was their April fools for Diablo 3.

Archivist

I liked Terra-Tron more. >_>

Ion
Communist

#6 Post by Ion »

What i like about this hero is its setup in a way that doesn't require making 40 skills for one hero, like neph does. Very interesting concept, and not hard to impliment. This might actually get implimented in some form...

Although, I'm not sure where this faction would go. I don't deny the model fits, but he doesn't fit the fel orc theme. Creep is also out. Elf would fit (Medivh model is the obvious one...althogh you could possibly go with archmage, or one of the elf priest varients. I could also see it fitting UD in a weird way, maybe the ghost Kel'thuzad model, although then i think his theme would need to be a bit darker (comedy and romance specificly)

DarnYak
Okay cool I felt kind of pressured to add an Orc hero but I actually thought he fits Elves the best. And I specifically made it so that it's just four spells and an ult that just get flavored differently depending on what you use. If you could though, given the fact that Elves have enough AoE, putting this guy on UD would be great (if somehow the Gul'dan model could be used that'd be awesome cause it's a fun model).

*EDIT: Ah, I read and see the model confusion. Medivh would be a good fit on Elves if you wanted to make him an Elf, but Gul'dan might work since Elves seem to be a happy accepting family anyway. For Undead, Kel'Thuzad's Ghost model is a possibility but if you ask me it's kinda ugly and you're already using a ghost model. The Skeletal Mage model could work, or even the Destroyer model (another flying hero O_O? make him hover maybe...)

I'll make another version of him through word (I'll release it as a .rar in rich-text; let me know if anyone can't open this and I'll accomidate) and I'll make an "Elves" and "UD" version of each, that is more refined (I'll include model possibilities in each). I'll see if I can do it within the next few days.

Would love to see him made to an extent (really I just like Lorenado...)
Blizzard didn't scrap the idea, they just never had intent of putting it in, since it was their April fools for Diablo 3.
You are right. I wish they made him though he's awesome.
Do add the other 3 types of spells, though. You have 7 in his innate, but only 4 are used.
I will and I'll edit some of the spells to make them less repetitive as well. I'll keep tossing ideas out in subsequent posts.
I dunno, this guy seems hugely overpowered. I like the overall concept, but you seem to share the same identities with Perhaps when it comes to naming things. Not bashing, but they are kinda strange.
The naming was mostly for comedy and I trust that Yak will make better names where they're needed. I relied mostly on boring puns and stuff and I'm not stuck on any name. Same goes for balancing the hero and finding out where changes are needed.
And could you explain the thousands of different spells better? I'm a little confused on their play style. Is it like a Neph thing, where you choose and cycle or what? I assume they have CD's though
No problem, and I'm glad Yak understood what I was getting at. Basically in my build he has just four spells (Lorenado, Questbolt, Bookspeak and Raise Myth Golem) and his Ult (Arcane Poetry). Each of these spells you pick like normal hero spells and he just has the usual 4 + 1. Unlike Neph, they do not switch everytime you use a spell. Instead, you open up his innate and choose to Read a book (Comedy, Romance, etc.) When you Read the book, a trigger goes off that changes what each spell does as opposed to changing the skill altogether.

So really, you have 4 very versatile spells that have slightly different effects each time you change everytime you use a Book spell. It's funny that this guy turned out to be a Bard-like class (since he can do a lot of things) since I was never inspired consciously by them.
Ion.

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#7 Post by DarkNemesis »

I see...well in that case, it seems like that guy could get confusing quickly.
Reaper: If you seriously think America is the best country ever you are brainwashed. Fact.

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#8 Post by Reaper »

If you get confused you can just stay on the same book.

The requirements to use this hero effectively with no prior knowledge are the same as other heroes, but to master all of his shit would take some more practice
[Reaper]

DarkNemesis
Retired
Retired

#9 Post by DarkNemesis »

Reaper wrote:If you get confused you can just stay on the same book.

The requirements to use this hero effectively with no prior knowledge are the same as other heroes, but to master all of his shit would take some more practice
Really, ya think?

That was my whole point, Reaper. :roll:

Reaper
Retired
Retired
Realm: Azeroth (U.S. East)
Battle.net name: Reaper777

#10 Post by Reaper »

Seems like your point was that it could get confusing, which isn't at all what I said
[Reaper]